PDA

View Full Version : anyone using an autodrive on a dillion press?

Crocks and Socks
06-24-2013, 01:28 AM
like the title states does anyone have any exp with using an autodrive on a dillion press? i have been lusting over one here as of late and am wondering how finicky they are? wondering how hard it is to get it setup and running on either a 1050 or a 650 as i have both presses. i just had shoulder reconstructive surgery and pulling the handle for several hours gives me a soreness for days on end. im wanting to go with the foot pedal style so i am still involved in loading the rounds and cant leave it unattended. if anyone is using or has used them and could chime in i would greatly appreciate it.

jmorris
06-24-2013, 09:19 AM
I have on the 1050. The PW is not as easy to get setup as you would think it should be but I have had one running for a few years. My shoulders are fine so it really didn't do anything for me until I tied into all the fail safes, added some more and programmed a PLC for control.

This is a video of how the machine works.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_VIDEO0114.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/VIDEO0114.mp4)

http://www.forchtfirearms.com/ sells a rotary conversion that is a little more involved than the "bolt on" PW but looks to be a better system. A friend and I just started converting 3 over to this system two super 1050's and an RL. We are using 3 phase gear motors and with VFD's they run off of 110 and you have and adjustable speed control.

We had Craig send us only the eccentric/drive parts and built the rest ourselves, saves about $700ea.

The first one is done and painted and will be put back together Wed, then will have to start the PLC retrofit.

I wouldn't want one without a bullet feeder.

rockrat
06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
PM sent

Crocks and Socks
06-24-2013, 05:34 PM
thanks for the comments guys pm responded to rock and pm sent jmorris

angus6
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
We had Craig send us only the eccentric/drive parts and built the rest ourselves, saves about $700ea.

Going to hae to check into that as the rotary system is what I'd like to have on my 1050

jmorris
06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
There are a few photos from the start here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=176707

W.R.Buchanan
06-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Jim: I read the description but couldn't view the pics since I am not signed up with Enos site.

You were talking about a bunch of machining to the basic machine? I have to ask what exactly are you talking about, and why didn't you work around that.

My cardinal rule has always been,,, Never make significant changes to the base machine that can't be reversed.

It seems pretty strait forward to mount the motor behind the machine and run it with a tie rod.

Seems like that should be all there is to it? Am I missing something ?

Still think your control system is the best one I've seen.

Randy

jmorris
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks, that was my first time using and programming a PLC so it took a while to learn but will make all the others quite simple as all I have to do now is up load the program to another PLC.

The rotary drive used an eccentric and connecting rod, so there is no adjustment to get a full stroke and no linkage that can flex. The rear cross brace (was used as a mount on the RL1050) has to be removed and the front and back of the bottom of the casting has to be clearanced.

The modification can be reversed and put back to manual, if you wanted to.

W.R.Buchanan
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Signed up for the Enos site and saw the pics.

Now I'm really cornfused. :holysheep

I see you are running the 1050 with a chain and sprocket. Why did you redesign it to use and eccentric to operate the ram?

Is there some advantage to doing it this way that I am not seeing?

Is the ram attached to the eccentric? If it just rolls on top of the eccentric, how will you pull it down to prime the cases?

I have questions.

Randy

jmorris
06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
There is a link to a video of one running here.

http://www.forchtfirearms.net/dillondoc.html

The eccentric rides inside what is essentially a super short connecting rod that is pinned to the shaft.

What you get is a setup that isn't a pain in the butt to setup and never needs adjustment. With the PW it takes some tinkering to get the linkage set just right and the 1/4" thick arm has some flex in it when running rifle brass.

W.R.Buchanan
06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
OK I see how it works now. The part sitting in front of the machine in post #8 is actually a complete eccentric and connecting rod assembly. I now see the needle bearings you talked about earlier.

That can't be a cheap assembly to make? I see $5- $600 for it easy?

You might look at using a Gilmer Belt to run it instead of a greasy chain. I guess either one has to be covered in the end, just less maint adn smoother operation with the toothed belt.

It does run smooth as it is though.

Do you work for this guy?

Randy

jmorris
06-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Yes the part in #8 is the same part for a RL 1050. My buddy ordered them from Craig, all of the parts for the conversion were around $500.

If I worked for the fellow the kit would have a Gilmer belt drive or maybe even a Lovejoy off of a right angle gear motor with a clutch in there somewhere.

The kiddo was running a fever last night so that may mess up the day but I should have it all back together today.

jmorris
06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
These show the difference between the linkage and the frame modifications. Just have to remove for clearance.

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2013, 12:47 PM
OK so the mechanical portion of the mod is the eccentric assembly and the mods to the frame. Then I assume you will use your existing control system. I also assume you will have a slip clutch in the mix, so it doesn't stall the motor?

This is a much more positive way to drive this machine than the PW system. It is a bit beyond the average guy to pull off, but for someone who has the abilities and machines necessary it looks to be a good way to go.

I can see less than $3000 total investment for a commercial machine that should run for a long time with little maintenance. That's alot better than $20K-30K for an Ammomaster.

With your 1.25 second cycle time your yeild is 48 rounds per minute and 2880 per hour. With three machines running you're looking at @8500 rounds per hour with down time for replenishment.

That's pretty decent production. Are you going into the ammo business? or are you just having fun?

Randy

jmorris
06-26-2013, 10:09 PM
The PLC will be wired to all the other switches to provide the fail safe abilities. The 1.25 seconds between upper and lower limit switches is so the motor does not ride on the clutch longer than to prevent damage to anything. The clutch is adjusted by the 3 socket head cap screws holding the drive sprocket to the hub.

With the PW setup the motor is constant so its easy to set the limit time. With the VFD you can make it go as fast or as slow as you want. Might have to do some more programming or just set it where we want and leave it there.

I just made mine for fun and make it easy to produce my match ammo while still doing "Daddy" duties.

One thing I did learn today is that the rotary conversion basically turns a super 1050 into an RL1050. So .223 is the limit in length it will work with. Thats a thumbs down as I had intended to load 308 too, guess I will just to the rotary conversion on my small primer 1050.

armedmoose
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM
This is amazing... more stuff to the "Wish List".

jmorris
06-29-2013, 07:25 PM
I like the adjustable speed. Makes processing the brass go by pretty quick.

Click to play the video.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/th_VID_20130629_165943_746_zps1fffb858.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/VID_20130629_165943_746_zps1fffb858.mp4)

Crocks and Socks
06-29-2013, 09:15 PM
that is too awesome that dillon is running as fast as a dam camdex lol

jmorris
06-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Yeah but you could never load that fast and keep powder in the cases.

Crocks and Socks
06-30-2013, 11:53 AM
when you say your processing the brass in the video are you just sizing and depriming or what?

jmorris
06-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Yes, size, deprime and swage. The idea is if any are going to fail, have them fail before you begin loading.

It's really the key to loading thousands without the machine stopping because of a malfunction. They all occurred before hand and were culled.

Crocks and Socks
06-30-2013, 02:50 PM
got ya