PDA

View Full Version : twist on powder storage ?

Digger
06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Please let me know if I am a bit off center .....
Contemplating the thick wooden box with separate sections for storage ...
Glanced at a concrete cinder block next to my shed and the light bulb went on (or off!)
These blocks all have a double hollow section , the half blocks a single and just for ducks I set a one pound bottle of 4895 in one to size ... perfect , the one pounders fit fine.
Now how would a concrete cinder block be in a fire ? , as far as duration time , temperature increase ? ....
The blocks can be set to any configuration , on there side for a bottom layer off the floor ,upright from there and then capped of with another block , concrete stepping stones or what.
If the powder did ignite , the blocks would be sitting there , gravity , not locked tight.
Disadvantage of lockable storage unless in a secured room ....
Could primers be included ?
Let me know if these thoughts are on the crazy side or a bit extreme or what ..
Now and then , we sometimes have a crazy thought or two. ...:veryconfu
digger

Artful
06-23-2013, 11:33 PM
So to get to your powder you want rows of cinder blocks with paver's between? - Will you have to move multiple pavers and blocks and pounds of powder to get to what's on the bottom row? I guess if you had all one kind of powder it might work but easier to just find an old freezer and put a lock on it in my mind.

If it did ignite then the cinder blocks would act as a chimney and direct the flame upwards so look up from your storage location and see where the flame is going next.

http://www.penick.net/digging/images/2010_05_13/Plinth_made_of_concrete_blocks.JPG

I wouldn't put primers inside something that can add to shrapnel of a primer explosion.
:brokenima

More traditional

and

grumman581
06-23-2013, 11:47 PM
The CMUs (Concrete Modular Units) (aka "cinder blocks") are designed to support weight with the holes pointed downward, not sideways. A few people have found that out with deadly results when using them as jack stands under cars -- not that I would particularly trust them for jack stands unless I had something like a 2x10 across the top of them to distribute the weight across the entire block. Now, having said that, many college students have used CMUs for the support for their bookshelves / entertainment centers / etc...

http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f9/f926fc6a_vbattach129452.jpeg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RoNS_jQy-8M/S-IVt_igxfI/AAAAAAAAAOs/FJfrYoRCfCA/s1600/Cement+Block+Media+Center.JPG

Eventually though, they have move out of their dorm rooms and have to carry all those CMUs with them elsewhere.

On the other hand, these would have been cool to have way back then:

http://cmybacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/wooden_cinder_block-1_1.jpg

Unless you have concrete on all 6 sides of the powder, it really doesn't matter what the other sides might be doing. If you want to protect your powder from a fire, bury it deep underground.

fecmech
06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
The whole idea as I understand it is NOT to confine the powder in any way in case of fire. I would not put any kind of a lid on such as a cement slab that would not open easily or even a locked lid on a box. Anything that allows the pressure to be contained could result in an explosion if the powder is ignited.

RayinNH
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Just get a putzed out mini 'fridge or full size if you have alot of powder to store. The insulated box will offer a bit of protection
in case of fire. If it does burn the magnets on the door won't contain the pressure...Ray

jhalcott
06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
There ARE legal requirements to powder lockers. MANY localities allow ONLY a certain amount of powder on hand at any time. A powder locker should be made of 1" wood panels to DELAY the fire getting to the powder. Powder and primers should NOT be stored in the same locker. The laws here in Md. are getting worse (for the reloaders) with quantity being reduced. Buying powder requires showing ID and signing an affidavit. There MAY be a "licensing fee" in the near future.

Digger
06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys ... will to the locker route .
Sorry things are getting tight there jhalcott , sounds like the paranoia is setting in.

mtgrs737
06-29-2013, 11:22 AM
anyone use a old freezer to store powder?