PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! New modle Blackhawk Reassembly Problem

BACKTOSHOOTING
06-23-2013, 06:56 PM
I am at my whits end, Decided to install a wolf spring kit and do a compleate clean and lube on my Blackhawk 45 colt 7 1/2" and all goes well until i try to install the long grip screw that holds the hammer pin in place on the right side above the loading gate.
Every time i try to tighten it it jams aginst the transfer bar and locks it up.
The screw hole is partialy blocked by the transfer bar by almost 1/2 the diameter of the screw hole.
I have dissassembled and reassembled as per the owners manual at least 10 times and it dose it every time.
What am i doing wrong, and would it be ok to remove the transfer bar so i can shoot tomorrow ?
I have a friend and his boys coming down from LA to shoot tomorrow and really want to take the gun with me.

Please HELP !!!

Wolfer
06-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Won't the pin go in the other way so you can put the long screw in the other side?

Larry Gibson
06-23-2013, 07:45 PM
the long grip screw that holds the hammer pin in place on the right side above the loading gate.
Every time i try to tighten it it jams aginst the transfer bar and locks it up.

The long grip screw holds the loading gate in place not the hammer pin. It goes in the bottom right screw hole of the grip frame.

Larry Gibson

BACKTOSHOOTING
06-23-2013, 10:11 PM
The long grip screw holds the loading gate in place not the hammer pin. It goes in the bottom right screw hole of the grip frame.

Larry, I OWE YOU A BEER !!!

If i ever get to Lake Havasu or you get to San Diego im buying

I must have read the instructions 10 times and did not register where that screw went!

Iv'e done small engine repair for close to 40 Years reassembling things and figureing out where and how parts go but this one brain fart cost me a day of frustration.

Thank You Very Much, Steve

44man
06-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Sorry guys, the screw holds the hammer pivot and can be installed either side depending on the direction of the pin groove.
It does not go anywhere near the gate.
If the hammer pivot is reversed the screw will not go in.
All of my Ruger's came with the long screw on the LEFT because it makes no difference as long as you turn the pivot around. Both holes are drilled to the hammer pin.

Larry Gibson
06-24-2013, 10:48 AM
:drinks:

Larry Gibson

1500FPS
06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Seems you owe 44man the beer. Look at the schematic. That long screw is called the Grip Frame Screw & Pivot Lock. It's #28 on the diagram. #21 Gate Detent Spring locks and provides the snap action to the loading gate.

Larry Gibson
06-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Yup, 44man was correct. But the point is, BACKTOSHOOTING is back to shooting! Makes no difference who was "right" because the objective was met (got the screw in the right hole) so if we all get together anywhere or even if any show up here I'll buy the drinks.........:drinks:

Larry Gibson

BACKTOSHOOTING
06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Shoot the gun today and it worked perfectly,. Very smooth trigger pull and breaks clean, Much better than stock.
100 rds of RCBS 255 SWC over 10 gns of unique and 6 test rds of a 335 grn WFN with 21.5 grn 296.

Those 6 rds hurt more than the 100 rds combined, WOOO WEEE

Oh and you can't fire the gun without the transfer bar in place,

Thanks to all for the help