PDA

View Full Version : Seperating SS media from .22 shells easy.

clodhopper
06-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Get a plastic jar with screw on lid, that fits inside your rotary media seperator.
Use soldering gun with nylon rope cutting end to cut slots in plastic jar.
put the media/shells in the plastic jar and rotate the seperator in water.
Water level about half way on the jar.

I went to the hardware store to find a nylon cutting attachment for my ancient soldering gun.
None to be had.
Read the package containing new soldering tips for weller guns.
The package said the tips were made of tin plated copper.
Went to the wireing section of the hardware store, selected a 1 foot piece of 6ga copper wire
looking closley at soldering tips, the tip is thinner than either end.
I cut off about 4 inches of wire from my 1 foot purchase, bent the ends to fit in the collets on the gun.
several blows on the copper with a hammer against a steel backing, thinned the wire nicley providing resitance and heat.

Use the tool quickly as heat and wobbly grip makes the slots wider.

anotherred
06-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Got any pictures?? We love pictures.

clodhopper
06-23-2013, 06:14 PM
No pictures will be forthcomming.

DukeInFlorida
06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
The Dillon media separator (their small sized one) has slots that are already perfect for this task of separating the SS media from the brass. I run the basket in the tub, filled with water, and that seems to help pull the media from the insides of the brass cases.

Of all of the media separators I tried, the Dillon model was the ONLY ONE with the correct sized slots to keep the brass in, while allowing the SS media to fall through.

Swede44mag
06-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Good to know I have the Dillon media separator and have been thinking abought getting setup for the stainless steel media cleaning system.
I am so tired of using walnut media and dealing with all the dust.

BT Sniper
06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
I got the large Dillion and it too has small enough slots but just barely. I haven't tried separating in water yet.

BT

Lizard333
06-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Been using the Dillon separator for a couple of years now and they work great. I gave up on walnut or corn cob media and have done nothing but SS. You get great looking swaged bullets as well using the SS.

sargenv
06-28-2013, 10:35 PM
I have a very old plastic colander that I've been using for years to sift the rocks and other things out of my corn cob.. it turns out that it is the perfect size to separate the pins from anything.. :)

aaronraad
06-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Get a plastic jar with screw on lid, that fits inside your rotary media seperator.
Use soldering gun with nylon rope cutting end to cut slots in plastic jar.
put the media/shells in the plastic jar and rotate the seperator in water.
Water level about half way on the jar.

I went to the hardware store to find a nylon cutting attachment for my ancient soldering gun.
None to be had.
Read the package containing new soldering tips for weller guns.
The package said the tips were made of tin plated copper.
Went to the wireing section of the hardware store, selected a 1 foot piece of 6ga copper wire
looking closley at soldering tips, the tip is thinner than either end.
I cut off about 4 inches of wire from my 1 foot purchase, bent the ends to fit in the collets on the gun.
several blows on the copper with a hammer against a steel backing, thinned the wire nicley providing resitance and heat.

Use the tool quickly as heat and wobbly grip makes the slots wider.

That is a great tip there clodhopper for making a hot knife rope cutter...more useful than my pun anyway. The rope cutters at the marine shops were running at +AUD$60 and it beats the heck out of friggin' around with lighter/flame and pliers/finger tips.

clodhopper
07-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Dillon is a great business.
My funds are to limited run out and buy another something already paid for.

The nylon rope cutting attachement for weller soldering guns cost about $13 at the hardware store
1 foot of 6 GA wire wire was $1.29.