PDA

View Full Version : Longbow, here's the story on the Ithaca Deer slayer barrels.

Ithaca Gunner
06-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I didn't want to hi-jack stripercrazy's thread with the story of the Deer Slayer barrel, so here it is by itself from Walt Snyder's book, "Ithaca Featherlight Repeaters...The Best Gun Going"

The Deer Slayer first appeared in Ithaca's catalog in 1959 with a 26" smoothbore barrel, and a carbine barrel of 20", straight bored to within a few thousands of SAAMI specs for slugs with rifle sights mounted, or for the Deluxe model, a receiver sight. Of course this was the Model 37 Featherlight pump. Available in 12, 16, and 20 gauges.

It all started on a deer hunt some years earlier in upstate NY. Ed Thompson, the head of Ithaca's repair department was among a hunting party when one of the fellows shot at a trophy buck at around the 100yd mark with a 12ga. slug, (type of gun was not mentioned, but it was a regular shotgun). The deer fled and the hunter assuming he made a clean miss retired for the day.

The next day the party hunted and stumbled across the trophy buck, dead from the previous day and rotting. Ed Thompson being a sportsman with a concern for game decided to take the problem of accuracy to Ithaca and see what could be done to make the most accurate slug gun possible. In 1958 Ithaca's sales department sent a letter to the barrel department requesting a barrel specifically for deer hunting. Two longtime Ithaca employees are credited with the development and technique of straight boring for the Deer Slayer barrels, Howard Lelik, and Francis Keene, (barrel room foreman). A straight bored barrel with rifle sights which closely fitted factory slugs was the end product.

Accuracy tests were done by H.P. White laboratory before the Deer Slayer made it's debut, "We have confirmed the company's claim to superior accuracy and stated that the performance of the Deer Slayer closely approached that of a .35 caliber deer rifle at 100 yards distance."

Shortly after, other gun manufacturer's began offering slug guns of their own design, but in my opinion, the Ithaca '37 is still the best. The company has changed and made improvements over the years, with rifled barrels introduced in the 1980's, with the D-S II and the D-S III currently available. Sadly, gone is the smoothbore Deer Slayer barrels from Ithaca's current catalog. We have to resort to used smoothies these days, but they're out there! I bought one this year for my '37 Magnum model on Gun Broker.

As for buckshot, Ithaca currently does not recommend or warrant it's use in Deer Slayer barrels. They make an 18.5" home defense barrel for the '37 for buckshot.

ovendoctor
06-23-2013, 04:37 PM
+1 on the mod 37 slug barrel
it really is accurate with the 525 Gr. Lyman slug [4-6'' at 100 yards]
dropped many deer with this combination
just make sure to case head size,,the tube is a little tight and the rim will hang up

Doc.

Carryacolt
06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
My first gun was an Ithaca 12ga featherlite with a full choke 30" barrel. The full choke patterns a very even 70% - by actual pellet count upon loading vs what landed inside a 30" circle at a measured 40yd. However, with a 4X scope, foster slugs, over sandbags, it would not shoot five rounds into a 12" circle at 100yd. Purchased a 20" w/RS barrel and it wouldn't fit into the receiver. The guy I bought it from told me I would have to send the receiver back to the factory for modification. I just put the barrel under my load bench until now. I find a tag in the beat up box, stating " this barrel will not fit repeaters with serial numbers below 855,000. My receiver has NO number on it. The original barrel has 6xx,xxx-x on it. Hell, no wonder it won't match up.
Then around the 1975-78 period, I bought another deerslayer with 26" smoothbore, mounted a Redfield 2 3/4 widefield scope. It shot a little better but not much. I bought a mzloader next.
I love the looks, the handling, and fit of the Ithaca but mine would not shoot slugs well.
Now I'm hooked on my 20ga, Savage 220. With Turbo's full bore 1oz slugs, I can keep them inside of 4" at 100yd and still shrinking that down.
Thanks for the info about the barrels. At least I now know why it didn't fit correctly.

longbow
06-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Very interesting. thanks for posting that.

I have wanted an Ithaca for many years but have never found one. Not many around here in Canada.

You mention "...the development and technique of straight boring..." other than being smaller bore diameter are there any other differences in the Ithaca Deerslayer barrels? Do they have the standard shotgun forcing cones? Just curious.

Again, no first hand knowledge and just repeating what I read in a gun magazine many years ago ~ Federal was credited with being the first commercial company to change the Foster slugs from undersize, as was typical, to larger diameter to match the standard 12 ga. bore. I do not know if it is true and have never disassembled a Federal Foster round to check diameter. I can say that Federal Fosters did produce very good accuracy from my Browning BPS with smoothbore slug barrel. In fact I have had pretty good accuracy from several factory Foster rounds but so far have been unable to duplicate it with home cast and loaded Foster slugs.

I wonder if full bore slugs would produce higher pressures in the smaller bore Ithaca barrels? I have to guess that with a standard Foster design the slug would swage down pretty easy anyway so maybe not an issue but Brennekes or Gualandis might be a bit big and harder to swage to bore size. They do swage to suit chokes but it is a little different to be swaging them down at peak pressures as they are entering the barrel.

Obviously Ithaca thought about what they were doing and made a gun that worked in any case.

Thanks again.

Longbow

richhodg66
07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
I have two Deerslayers, one a 16 and one a 12. I like the Ithacas, though I've never done a side by side test, they give decent accuracy with Foster slug factory loads. I plan to mount a scope or red dot on the 12 someday and see what it'll do.

Hardcast416taylor
07-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Back in the `80`s my brother bought an Ithaca riot gun smooth bore. He found that using Winchester 12 ga. Foster 1 oz. slugs this gun gave phonenmal accuracy at 100yds and a bit farther. He had a 4x scope mounted on the reciever and used it very successfully on deer till his passing. His son now uses it on Ga whitetails.Robert