PDA

View Full Version : Bullets sticking?

woody402
06-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I have been cast some bullets the last few day with a lyman 357446 2 cavity mold. The problem I'm having is the bullets stick in the mold. It happens in the same side each time. Doesn't matter if I let it cool or open it right after casting. Any suggestions? Thanks

mdi
06-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Need some info; what's your alloy? What's the temperature of your alloy? Are you pre-heating your mold? On a new mold careful inspection is necessary along with a very good cleaning. Check the mold cavities with a magnifying glass or visor and look closely for any tiny burr or snag. Some molds need "breaking in" and won't start dropping freely until several (many) casts. I occasionally need to polish (lap) the cavities of a mold using comet and oil (see "lapping" in the stickies in the molds section).
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3172-Sticky-Lapping-301-Changing-LEE-feature-diameters http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?654-Sure-Fire-Lee-Menting-Technique-(Aimoo-Post-Revisited)

woody402
06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
The mold is older. I inherited a bunch of molds for an older faster and be used it quite a bit with no problems. I'm using lyman #2 recipe. I do Pre heat it but even after that and casting a humdred still get sticking.

I will do a really good cleaning and start from there. Thanks.

runfiverun
06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
look the mold edges over real well on that half of the mold a small burr will lock a boolit in tight.
you can remove it with a sharp X-acto blade or a little light lapping.

run a Q-tip around up and down and back and forth you'll see the fibers stick on the edge of the cavity if there is something there.

cummins05
06-23-2013, 10:23 PM
I have used that Q tip trick a few times for some sticking molds and it always fixed the problem for me it's an easy way to find a little tiny bur on their especially on lee molds

MtGun44
06-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Scrub cavities with Comet and a toothbrush, this does a mild deburr and often fixes the problem.
Sometime spinning a boolit in the cavity with mild abrasive is necessary, see "Leementing".

Bill