PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the best reasonably priced bottom pour pot

birch
06-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I have had a Lee production pot IV that has served me well for a few years. In fact, It really got me hooked on casting. I recently got a huge surprise when I began a casting session by getting a full pull of 110v for a couple of seconds. I posted a thread, and it seems that others have had the same problem from their lee pot because of either a heating element short or a thermostat malfunction that caused a reroute of current.

I have been thinking about buying another bigger pot for a while, and since I am not an electrician, I plan on sending the ol' girl to the bone yard.

I am just looking for some opinions on what is the best pot to buy for my needs. I don't blow through thousands of rounds a month, but I do look forward to hour long casting sessions. The lee pot heats up quick, but since it was only a 10 pounder, I spent alot of time refilling and waiting for temperature stabilization. Here is what I am looking for: at least a 20 pound pot, bottom pour, and some sort of ledge to rest the mold on that is adjustable. Any and all advise is appreciated.

VHoward
06-23-2013, 01:08 AM
RCBS Pro Melt has all those things. It is a little expensive, but should last you 30 years or more, not just a few years. I bought one of them. I started with the Lee Production pot IV. The RCBS is way better. I don't consider the RDBS pot a waste of money.

birch
06-23-2013, 01:45 AM
I have had my eyes on one of those babies for some time, but I just can't afford one right now. I'm really looking for something in the 150-200 dollar range, and the cheapest I have found the pro melt for was 380.

mroliver77
06-23-2013, 02:26 AM
I like my Lee 20 lb pot. I use my Lyman more but the Lee is fine.
J

Mk42gunner
06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
A Lee 4-20 technically meets all of your requirements, and is roughly a third the price of an RCBS. If you lap the rod and seat before use, the drips aren't too bad.

The RCBS Promelt is a lot better pot then the Lee, with a better designed mold guide. Is it worth the difference in price? Only you can decide that. I finally got mine at an estate auction for $80.00. I haven't cast a boolit with the Lee since I got the RCBS.

Robert

birch
06-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I have heard that the lee 20 is much better in quality than the production IV. I do know they also drip. Would you suggest a lapping compound and a drill, or is there a better way to lap the channel?

el34
06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm 'content' with my Lee 4-20. The drip is negligible, maybe the luck of the draw, and I put a little condiment cup under the spout to catch any leaks.

The temp control absolutely sucks, so like many others I'm doing a PID. I hooked it up to test it, it works great, and now I'm making a housing for it that the pot will sit on. It'll serve the other purpose of jacking up the pot to my eye level in my setup.

The flow on-off adjustment also sucks bigtime, at least on mine. If I adjust it to produce a reasonable non-gush flow, the adjusting screw is forced out of and below the groove cut in the needle shaft, screwing it up even more. I did something with coat hanger wire (as valuable as duct tape) to limit the upward travel of the control knob but I have a better idea in mind.

Other than those things, which I'm correcting, it's a great pot at a great price!

mroliver77
06-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I lap the rod in all my pots with valve grinding compound. Adding a weight to the Lee linkage helps big time.

detox
06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Lyman has a new bottom pour pot coming out that i think is in your price range.

MT Chambers
06-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Open nrgh: I've never seen a pot used for casting that is so clean, do you polish it after use? I use and would recommend the RCBS but mine is a mess compared with your pot!!

Frozone
06-23-2013, 04:12 PM
A Lee 4-20 technically meets all of your requirements, and is roughly a third the price of an RCBS. If you lap the rod and seat before use, the drips aren't too bad. .....

I just bought a new lyman mag 20 - it drips Far more than my LEE #20ers do. I'm rather disappointed!

I'm Very convinced that those who have major drip problems with the LEE 20# are just experiencing operator error.

VHoward
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Lets see. I had both the Porduction pot IV and the 4-20 pots. Both leaked badly. I buy an RCBS Pro Melt and have no dripping at all. I see my operational error was buying the Lee pots in the first place.

OpenNRG
06-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Open nrgh: I've never seen a pot used for casting that is so clean, do you polish it after use? I use and would recommend the RCBS but mine is a mess compared with your pot!!

I think that was taken when the Lid was done so I could add it to the site. Doesn't always look like that. I'll try next time I'm casting to take some dirty pictures.

Frozone
06-23-2013, 05:50 PM
..... I see my operational error was buying the Lee pots in the first place.

Well, it maybe that RCBS pots are just more FOOLproof.

detox
06-23-2013, 06:10 PM
LEAKproof maybe, but not FOOLproof.

shadowcaster
06-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I just bought a new lyman mag 20 - it drips Far more than my LEE #20ers do. I'm rather disappointed!

I'm Very convinced that those who have major drip problems with the LEE 20# are just experiencing operator error.

I totally agree with Frozone.. operator trouble is the cause of most issues. I have 2 Lee pro 4-20's and no dripping. After a quick lap and some weight added to the handle they are a pleasure to use. I run them side by side so I can cast with one while the other one heats up more alloy. I use a thermometer in each pot and have not had the problems that others complain about.

Shad

Mk42gunner
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
I have heard that the lee 20 is much better in quality than the production IV. I do know they also drip. Would you suggest a lapping compound and a drill, or is there a better way to lap the channel?

It has been a few years since I got my 4-20 (brand new) and I think I used either 600 grit or 800 grit lapping compound and an electric drill. a few times forward and reverse and I was satisfied. I never had any deluges, just small drips that would eventually build up to the spout and self limit the drip while ladle casting.

Also, once I got the flow adjusted to where I could fill the majority of the molds I had then, I never touched the adjustment again; the one on mine was very touchy. It would go from barely flowing to just right to about a pound a second in about ¼ turn of the screw, or so it seemed.

Honestly, if you have the money, get the RCBS. If you don't mind a bit of extra work, get the 4-20. Mine held the temperature close enough that I never had any problems casting boolits with it.

Robert

el34
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Shad, you got me thinkin'. My two complaints are temp control and flow control. The PID will take care of temp, but the flow control may be my error- when you screw the adjustment screw clockwise, does that reduce or increase flow? I'm just realizing CW might result in raising the knob/bracket upwards towards its upper limit, thereby reducing how far it can raise the valve and reducing flow. Izzat right?

Dale in Louisiana
06-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Just got the RCBS in last week, relegating my old Lee pot to the shelf.

Yes, the RCBS is, in comparison, expensive. I've used it for one session so far. Never leaked, not even once. The temperature adjustment appears to be a lot more stable.

If I was on a tight budget, I think the Lee is just fine. One must be aware of its quirks, but it will do quite well. Like may things having to do with handloading in general and cast boolits in specific, it required fiddling about.

Set it on a cheap cookie sheet, because it is apt to surprise you the first time it fails to seal off after a pour.

dale in Louisiana

VHoward
06-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Not foolproof. Just higher quality and it works like it is supposed to right out of the box. No fiddling or fixing it so it will work and not drip or leak.

Duckiller
06-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Lee 20 lb pot is much better than 10 lb pot. Doesn't leak as much and valve is vertical to stop , slow leaking. Extra $ for the 20 lb pot is worth it.

theperfessor
06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Lyman 20. No leaks so far. I use a home built PID so can't comment on the thermostat. Don't know current price, I've had mine for quite a while.

If I ever get around to it I plan to build a 35-40 lb pot with a built in PID.

birch
06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
I don't mind a little fiddling. In fact, that is one of the best things about casting. I have molds that require different angles to fill correctly, and molds that need a certain temperature to drop consistantly. I feel very proud when i figure something out. I get a smile every time.

What I don't like is cheap components. I was very bummed when my lee pot took a **** and let me know by shocking the **** out of me. I was hoping that some people would chime in and recommend the "Lee 20" as that is surely in my price range. I know I cannot afford the rcbs. I will post when I receive the pot and give a review.

Thanks everyone.

Dale in Louisiana
06-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Unpossible! Fools are particularly ambitious and innovative, as anyone working around heavy industry will attest.

I have made a lot of bucks in the aftermath of "I never thought anybody would try THAT!" and "I thought it was foolproof."

dale in Louisiana

el34
06-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Birch, now that I corrected my own operator error with flow control, I can chime in and recommend the Lee 20. But get a thermometer so you can see what it's doing, probably true of any non-regulated pot.

dragonrider
06-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I have used Lee pots for 25 years. Two ten pounders and one 20 pound. I still have not paid the price of an RCBS. My current set up is a 20 pound Lee and a PID from Frozone. No problems. A drip every now fand then. It once drained itself completely but that was my fault, it needed a cleaning which it gets about once a year. A dirty pot will cause leaks in any pot and you don't get clean lead from a diirty pot.

shadowcaster
06-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Shad, you got me thinkin'. My two complaints are temp control and flow control. The PID will take care of temp, but the flow control may be my error- when you screw the adjustment screw clockwise, does that reduce or increase flow? I'm just realizing CW might result in raising the knob/bracket upwards towards its upper limit, thereby reducing how far it can raise the valve and reducing flow. Izzat right?

el34
Birch, now that I corrected my own operator error with flow control, I can chime in and recommend the Lee 20. But get a thermometer so you can see what it's doing, probably true of any non-regulated pot.

I was just about to put in my 2 cents on adjustment.. Glad to hear you figured it out. Clockwise to decrease flow.. It also helps to spin the valve rod with a screwdriver occasionally to prevent debris from sticking in the spout.

Shad

el34
06-25-2013, 12:05 AM
I was just about to put in my 2 cents on adjustment.. Glad to hear you figured it out. Clockwise to decrease flow.. It also helps to spin the valve rod with a screwdriver occasionally to prevent debris from sticking in the spout.

Shad

Thanks Shad. As soon as I posted my question/confession I fired up the pot and had that eureka thing, love when that happens.

I hope the OP isn't too confused about the 4-20.

skeet1
06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
The only thing I did to my Lee 4-20 is plug it in and use it. It has worked great from the first day. It will drip on occasion but I have had other brands do the same thing, not a big deal.

Ken

armedmoose
06-25-2013, 11:13 AM
As an FYI the Lee #20 pot is in stock right now at Midway. I was going to order mine from somewhere else at a premium, then I got the email stating it was in stock.

Ordered mine last night. Still in stock today. Also use Coupon "July413" for 10 bucks off 100 dollar order.

KTM400
06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one and will be sending back the 10# pot I ordered as soon as it arrives.

As an FYI the Lee #20 pot is in stock right now at Midway. I was going to order mine from somewhere else at a premium, then I got the email stating it was in stock.

Ordered mine last night. Still in stock today. Also use Coupon "July413" for 10 bucks off 100 dollar order.

customcutter
06-28-2013, 10:52 PM

I just ordered the Lee Pro 4 20, did a quick google search for the june 2013 code and couldn't find anything. Order totaled $129. Oh well at least, they had it in stock. Wasn't available last week when I looked. Gotta get busy now and finish my core molds, D-reamers for .224, dies for swaging .224.:D

CC

dromia
06-29-2013, 01:28 AM
If you want a good measure of certainty that the bottom pour furnace will work as advertised without the need to fix it then any make other than the lee will do.

I've been running two RCBS promelts, one for decades, with no problems, my forays with Lees have always ended in disappointment and frustration, just look at how many of the posts on here are taken up with fixing and getting shoddy Lee kit to work as advertised. The scale of that just shows you the non existent level of QC and care Lee exercise.

MaryB
06-29-2013, 03:01 AM
My Lee 4-20 had a drip, all I did was press down lightly and turn the rod with a screwdriver. Seemed to seat things, since then zero drips.

customcutter
06-29-2013, 06:40 AM
If you want a good measure of certainty that the bottom pour furnace will work as advertised without the need to fix it then any make other than the lee will do.

For 3-4 times the price, I'll gladly lap the discharge gate, and put a cookie tin under it. Also if you read through this post and online reviews, you'll see that every color has their leaks/problems. Same with the reloading presses.

Have a great day.
CC

VHoward
06-29-2013, 11:48 AM
If you look through the posts, there are a 100 times more posts about Lee pots and fixing them than all other brands put together. My Lee pots had problems right out of the box. They were brand new and did not work like they were supposed to. My Pro Melt worked like it was supposed to right out of the box and I did not have to fiddle with it or "fix" it for it to do so.

jmort
06-29-2013, 11:57 AM
If you have the $$$ it makes sense to get the best. The primary reason so many threads/posts about the Lee Precision bottom pour pots is that most people use them. For the $$$ they are a good deal and can be made to work, and work well. Flat out great deal. On Midway USA Lee Precision 4-20 4.8/5 stars 97 owner ratings/reviews $63.99. Pro-Melt 4.7/5 stars 17 owner ratings/reviews $374.99. I think there is a clear choice, unless you have money to burn. I would like to have the new Lyman when it comes out. For around $250.00 seems like the best of all worlds, but that remains to be seen. But for right now, I will save a whole lot of $$$ and stick with the Lee Precision pot.

customcutter
06-29-2013, 12:01 PM
If you look through the posts, there are a 100 times more posts about Lee pots and fixing them than all other brands put together. My Lee pots had problems right out of the box. They were brand new and did not work like they were supposed to. My Pro Melt worked like it was supposed to right out of the box and I did not have to fiddle with it or "fix" it for it to do so.

Probably because they sell at least 100 times more than the other manufacturers. Glad you are happy with your Pro Melt. I just don't understand people who want to rain on someones parade.

Have a Blessed Day,
CC

VHoward
06-29-2013, 02:23 PM
I just don't understand people who spend their hard earned money on products that are sub-par, don't work, then defend their choice when they complain about it on forums, How much is your time worth to you? I would rather spend my time casting bullets, not fixing and fiddling with my pot just so I can.

dromia
06-29-2013, 03:05 PM
I run a modest firearms business and at my last count Lee was almost 50% of my handloading sales and nigh 100% of my returns as not fit for purpose.

To me that is not a good business model, it generates dissatisfied customers and a strong anti Lee feeling.

Over the years I have noticed my customer base increasingly avoiding Lee products as they get bitten too often and increasingly so as lee seem to have abandoned any form of QC, newcomers like the low price to get them into the past time as they don't fully understand the investment but the vast majority are upgrading to better kit as soon as they can costing them more in the long run, second hand Lee kit has almost no value.

jmort
06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
I guess one wonders why you waste your time and endure the threat to your business's goodwill/reputation by selling Lee Precision Products. With all the Lee Precision bashing, I wonder why they continue to sponsor this site. I say God Bless Richard Lee and Lee Precision. I am one of the many satisfied customers and a Lee Precision Fan Boy. Any QC problems I have had have been dealt with quickly and fairly by Lee Precision.

shadowcaster
06-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I guess one wonders why you waste your time and endure the threat to your business's goodwill/reputation by selling Lee Precision Products. With all the Lee Precision bashing, I wonder why they continue to sponsor this site. I say God Bless Richard Lee and Lee Precision. I am one of the many satisfied customers and a Lee Precision Fan Boy. Any QC problems I have had have been dealt with quickly and fairly by Lee Precision.

I totally agree...

Personally.. I am tired of all the Lee bashing. 75% of my equipment is Lee, and I am very satisfied with ALL of my Lee reloading equipment. I truly appreciate the fact that Lee puts out quality equipment at affordable prices. They have given many, many of us our start in the reloading/casting world that had we gone a more expensive (and not necessarily better) route would not be where we are today.

Some say that they don't want to tinker or make adjustments. I can even count how many times I have made a purchase in life that was for other than reloading, and then had to mess with it or make adjustments in some way or another. It happens..

I have read many posts here, that were for other than Lee equipment on how their equipment broke, or doesn't work right, or how do I adjust it to make it work right. Yet no one bashes these other companies like what Lee gets. We all have an opinion, our favorites and brands we prefer.. It's time to stop the Lee bashing!

Shad

Dale in Louisiana
06-29-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm not a Lee fan-boy, by any stretch of the imagination, but I will admit to casting my first rifle bullet with a loaner Lee mould using a Lee pot.

I venture to say that many folks got their starts with Lee equipment. My first handload was with a Lee Loader (.303 British, around 1965). I am happy to have a Dillon RL550 and and a couple of RCBS presses now. I am also happy that I have a job that will let me buy the more expensive products. If I was counselling somebody just getting started, and on limited budget, I'd point them to Lee while advising them that there might be a lot more fiddling involved.

I'm sure that some will say that having the less expensive equipment might turn off some prospective casters, but we all know that even with the best tools, results are not guaranteed.

dale in Louisiana

VHoward
06-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Lee could avoid the bashing if they would spend a little extra on research and developement and instituting some quality control. Even if Lee in fixing all of the short comings of the 4-20 and the production IV pots had to double the price of them, the pots would still be less than half price of the RCBS pot and half price of the Lyman pot. Would you go for that? Take a brand new item out of the box and it works? No "fixing" or fiddling? That would be a great value to me.

BTW, I absolutely love my Classic Cast Single Stage press from Lee. I did like the Classic Turret press from Lee also. I did wear out a Lee Breechlock Challenger press, but only because I abused the heck out of it. I didn't care for either progressive press from Lee either. So I'm not a total Lee basher.

Vinne
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
How many hours have we spent trying to put together a bike Christmas eve or spent a summer's day fighting a swing set. I would say we are lucky to have LEE products to work with.

Lets face it, not all the problems are caused by LEE. Maybe we tried to get the last little bit out that bottom pour pot. How about that mold...left in the heat too long or not long enough?? Banging on the sprue too hard or maybe missed it an hit the mold?? I would have to say (from personal experience) that Lee makes some darn good products for the price. Just maybe some of us wouldn't be reloading if we had to save up for the better tools.

Something else...How many of us could start out buying a fancy riding lawnmower or did we begin with a small (maybe used) push mower and work up to a rider years later???

mold maker
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Nobody with less than a hundred bucks can get into casting, with new equipment, unless LEE is involved. I have plenty of LEE stuff and use it right along side all the rest. The coins LEE saves me buys the components I can't make.
If you're dead set against using LEE, than dig deep and spend the bucks.
People been bashing LEE for ages and It's just free advertisement, cause the price speaks louder.

jmort
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
It is the gratuitous Lee Precision bashing that I despise. A throw away categorical statement like "All Lee Precision products are trash/krap" adds nothing, especially from a blow-hard who never owned any Lee Precision equipment, let alone the equipment under discussion. A specific criticism with (anecdotal) facts is fine. Once again, I say, God Bless Richard lee and God Bless Lee Precision for sponsoring this site.

1bluehorse
07-04-2013, 11:10 PM
"best reasonably priced bottom pour pot"............whats reasonable to you? If anything over 300 bucks is unreasonable to you, then you can get which ever Lee Pot you want...I have seen the new Lyman pot advertised for around 250 which would probably fit your description best (however, it's not available at this time, so ?) if you're just trying to find out the opinions of the Lee 20lbers' (actually more like 17) then you got a pretty good cross section...some like them just fine (cost is important) and you have some that don't think very highly of them (cost isn't as important and are willing to pay for better quality) I've had a couple, didn't care for them. They will definatly melt lead, and will fill a mold...and if you don't mind dinking around with them constantly, will suffice...better than a tin can over a camp fire using a soup ladle for sure..but if you're willing to spend the dough, there are much better options available..just my opinion of course..

seagiant
07-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Hi,
I have passed this on before but you might try calling the nice lady at RCBS and see if she has a "second" Pro Melt for sale. I got mine for $200 and had a hard time seeing the damage!

Notice the front right corner!

MaryB
07-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Unboxed my pot, loaded it with lead, turned it on, have done nothing but cast. One little turn with a screwdriver on the flow adjust. That was 300 pounds of lead ago. Lee makes a decent quality budget equipment.

1bluehorse
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
"Lee makes decent quality budget equipment".......that about sums it up....on another note, has anyone with a lathe or access to one ever made a "better" plug for the bottom orifice?? Lee uses a rounded very light weight rod whereas everyone else uses a hardened steel rod (heavy) that contours down to a point...for the most part, most users of the Lee pots complain about the constant dripping or continually messin around with them to keep them from dripping...(adding weight to the handle, constant pot cleaning, twirling the seating plug, shoving a piece of wire up the nozzle, the list goes on) if it could be as simple as a better seating plug and orifice seat, (and a PID for better temp control) then you may have something....for me I just went the way of RCBS a few years back...BUT..if this would be a "fix", for the cost of the Lee pot I'd give one another shot...maybe..