PDA

View Full Version : new to me model 14 smith

mainiac
06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Picked up a 38 smith today,model 14.Come to find out,it has lighted front and rear sights!!!

The outfit that did this mod was called electro company,,as they stamped there trade mark on the grip frame.This mod was done so expertly,that i didnt even notice it,until after i got home.I was wondering what the small round button was for,on the left grip panel,,come to find out,thats the switch that lights up the sights.

I couldnt find much out about this company on the net,other then this was a LE mod,so police could see there sights,at night. Why was this installed on a 8.375 inch target gun?This was done in the early 70,s so i read. I only found 2 hits on google,about this.Am hoping some of you fellers have heard tell of this?thanks,,,

Mk42gunner
06-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I recall reading about it, but that is all.

What kind of batteries did they use? Hopefully it is still available.

Robert

mainiac
06-23-2013, 06:33 AM
well, the part that holds the battery in,appears to be gone.so i guess i dont know what it took for a battery.

ironhead7544
06-23-2013, 10:06 AM
I remember seeing that modification. Expensive, but worked well. Never became popular.

Pepe Ray
06-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Is the battery compartment built into the frame or the grips?
With a hand lens, can you see the contacts?
If the batts had corroded maybe the P.O. chose to NOT replace them. Eh?
Pepe Ray
P.S. Did you get it at Bob B's?

mainiac
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I remember seeing that modification. Expensive, but worked well. Never became popular.

I wonder what i cost,back in the early 70,s?? The maching is flawless,so i automatically figured that this cost alot,,,,,,,,,,

9.3X62AL
06-23-2013, 01:24 PM
That 8-3/8" barrel would have been a PITA in a hip holster, getting into and out of a sedan all day. The lighted sights aren't something I've seen previously, other than the tritiums that have appeared and become popular over the past decade or so. Night-visible sights DO HELP, though--a friend had a set on his M-4gery at work, and the difference they made in night firing was dramatic.

Those Model 14s are a delight to fire. The S&W K-frame and the 38 Special are a match made in heaven.

Hardcast416taylor
06-23-2013, 01:54 PM
For long range police shooting at night? These sights were the answer to a problem that never worked out in actual usage.Robert

mainiac
06-23-2013, 04:09 PM
That 8-3/8" barrel would have been a PITA in a hip holster, getting into and out of a sedan all day. The lighted sights aren't something I've seen previously, other than the tritiums that have appeared and become popular over the past decade or so. Night-visible sights DO HELP, though--a friend had a set on his M-4gery at work, and the difference they made in night firing was dramatic.

Those Model 14s are a delight to fire. The S&W K-frame and the 38 Special are a match made in heaven.

The one and only post i could google,and find,was on the sw forum.Guy played show and tell with his.He said the guys name that had this company.I know it was in CA,,in the very early 70,s.....
Thats all i know,,so far.

km101
06-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I remember seeing it in the 70's. They advertised it heavily to police depts. at the time. But I was leery of having machine work done on my revolver by an unknown source. Also the modification cost more than a used pistol at the time.

9.3X62AL
06-27-2013, 12:02 AM
For long range police shooting at night? These sights were the answer to a problem that never worked out in actual usage.Robert

Long range isn't required to spoil a shot. Not seeing the sights even at fistfight distance can send shots galley-west. Seeing the sights, or at least sensing the direction the firearms is pointed, is the key to shot placement. I consider tritium night sights on fighting sideiron--shotguns--or carbines to be a VERY GOOD IDEA.