PDA

View Full Version : simple Hi-Tek coating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Gatch
04-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Gatch... FFS... do NOT use a Lee Carbide Factory crimp die. It will Flock up your bullet dia.

I don't own a lee fcd. I'm using the dillon dies that came with the press.

Conditor22
04-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Salutations gentlemen.

Couple things. PID got hooked into oven tonight. After thinking I had it sorted I realised I'd hooked it into the common neutral wire. So after repairing that little booboo I hooked it into the element selector switch instead. Played around with it and it works a charm. Stoked !

Second thing. 10 rounds with the hitek green lee 125gr rn boolits leaded up my barrel nicely. It was mostly in the rifling grooves. I can see why people are so keen to avoid leading. What a pain to clean ! So I started at step 1 and slugged my barrel again. Grooves measure .3555-.356 so the coated boolits get sized to .357. The boolits I used are straight coww, they were coated twice and passed both the solvent wipe and smash test. These ones were even a bit over cooked and went pretty dark green. I'm using 4.0gr of ap70 (hodgson universal in usa) which SHOULD give me around 1000fps. I don't remember the oal off the top of my head. I will check tomorrow. I pulled a boolit out of a loaded case and it measured .355. Is this indicating I need to make a larger diameter expander plug/powder funnel for the dillon ? Also if I have crimped too much, will this swage the bullet down as it goes past the crimp ?

9MM is a tapered case and most newbies over crimp it which does swage it down causing leading and poor accuracy.

I use the seat/crimp die, increasing the crimp only until , when I push the loaded cartridge against my bench the boolit doesn't move.

Unlike Trevor I do use the lee factory crimp die, but not for crimping I barely "kiss" the loaded cartridge with the LFC to ensure proper chambering.

load a cartridge then use a hammer type boolit puller and pull the boolit. IF the boolit is downsized your crimping to hard. For softer lead I use a .356 expander plug for my .357 boolit.

the harder the lead, the less likely it will swage down when loaded or crimped.

OAL seat the boolit as long as you can and still have it cycle and chamber in your gun, this will give you the best accuracy.

this will give you an idea of the hardness needed

https://i.imgur.com/4XDVJT5.png

Petander
04-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Cast & 9mm is lots of measuring around. Delicate stuff,I need three different bullet sizes and three different loading procedures for three different guns. If I want accuracy.

Tazza
04-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Personally, i put 3 coats on mine, sized to .357 without leading.

Even wheel weights shouldn't lead up after only a few rounds, i'd like to see another coat on them and see if you still have the same issue.

On my semi-autos, i just close up the case flare, so there is no crimp.

Conditor22
04-02-2019, 06:15 PM
My euro 9's slug out at P-38 .358 and Llama .358 most of the US at .355 - .355+. I can get away with 2 different sized boolits = 2 different expanding and crimping setups (also use 1 color only for the euro 9's)

hunter74
04-03-2019, 03:44 AM
I've also had trouble with the Dillon bullet seating die. Mine is too tight and size the lead down. Since I put the Dillon seater away and replaced it with a cheap Lee seater my lead 9mm is great and does not lead the barrel. What I'm saying is the the bullet seater could also be the cause of downsizing your bullet....

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Gatch
04-03-2019, 04:48 AM
I've also had trouble with the Dillon bullet seating die. Mine is too tight and size the lead down. Since I put the Dillon seater away and replaced it with a cheap Lee seater my lead 9mm is great and does not lead the barrel. What I'm saying is the the bullet seater could also be the cause of downsizing your bullet....

Do you mean the crimp die ? The seating die doesn't touch the case I think.

hunter74
04-03-2019, 04:50 AM
No, I mean the bullet seater. Mine sizes down the expanded case quite a bit.

ioon44
04-03-2019, 08:35 AM
No, I mean the bullet seater. Mine sizes down the expanded case quite a bit.

I have had the same problem with some Dillon dies, and replaced them with the new Hornady dies which are working great with Hi-Tek coated bullets.

Petander
04-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Then we have the throats and leades,or lack of them.

What's your opinion on this Euro 9mm one? Dirty,yes, I haven't tried any cast with it yet.

pkchwy
04-04-2019, 02:15 AM
is there a way to coat the lube groves with Ti-tek coating??

Conditor22
04-04-2019, 03:41 AM
Mix the solution thinner and do 3 or more coats.
the thinner solution will get in the groves easier and 3 coats will give the groves a better chance of getting coated.

It's not necessary for the groves to be coated.

Petander
04-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Three coats cover everything.

Tazza
04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Three coats cover everything.

I do the same, i know it's not needed, but 3 coats make them prettier :)

Gremlin460
04-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Years ago I found straight up COWW "as is" lead barrels, well my 2 anyway, bumping the mix to 94-2-4 cured all probs. So COWW raw I feel is 2-3 BHN too soft. Also I size 358 for a 356 bang-tube and 357 for the wifes 355.2 1911 .

Mike.

Burnt Fingers
04-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Right on Stephen.
Eggshell blonde???? I have no hair left after ripping all out in frustration over years.

I have to laugh at Ausglocks crazy sense of humour, and he certainly stirs the pot.

This crazy stuff called Hi-Tek certainly stirred up the natives some.
All the unique questions and new applications, has really taught me a few things. I don't know, if in the period if I have mellowed any however.

It seems that my search for the elusive Blue may be possible. It is now being tested. So far, it passes all tests, except solvent wipe test. I am working on that aspect. If I succeed, there may be a deep Royal Blue product. I am not holding out any unreasonable expectations, but I am only hoping.
It has only taken some 20 plus years.

Any news on that deep blue?

HI-TEK
04-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Any news on that deep blue?

Burnt fingers
Progress is slow, but not forgotten. There are several options being trialled, to determine best results we can get. It is and has been a very difficult project due to the Blue type additives not being able to survive with the resin and heat set system combination. We have narrowed down some possibilities and tests are continuing. As soon as we have good or bad results it will be published. Thanks much for your interest.

Petander
04-13-2019, 10:33 AM
I converted factory ammo trap shot to 20 gauge balls. The shot was contaminated with who knows what, I got yellow dross in the pot walls and the balls turned black in acid wash real fast.

Overnight HCL soak,perfect results.

HI-TEK
04-13-2019, 11:40 AM
I converted factory ammo trap shot to 20 gauge balls. The shot was contaminated with who knows what, I got yellow dross in the pot walls and the balls turned black in acid wash real fast.

What was colour of the acid wash after overnight soak?
I have never seen a Yellow dross before. I know Iron oxides can be grey black to a reddish colour, but Yellow??? this is a real mystery. I don't know of any metal chlorides or residues that are Yellow. I am thinking hat it may be Cadmium, but don't really know. Is it possible to have tested any metal that is not acid washed to determine contaminant? I am also wondering if it is Chromium? Very strange.. But, results after acid wash seems to have worked well.

HI-TEK
04-13-2019, 09:44 PM

Petander,
I think your Yellow dross may be solved. There are two forms of Lead Oxides.
PbO (lead (II) oxide, litharge) : red
PbO (lead (II) oxide, massicot) : yellow
(Same chemical formula, different crystal structures)
It seems, that you have made the yellow version with your mystery composition alloy.
I don't know how it was produced, but that is most likely explanation for your Yellow dross.

Petander
04-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Petander,
I think your Yellow dross may be solved. There are two forms of Lead Oxides.
PbO (lead (II) oxide, litharge) : red
PbO (lead (II) oxide, massicot) : yellow
(Same chemical formula, different crystal structures)
It seems, that you have made the yellow version with your mystery composition alloy.
I don't know how it was produced, but that is most likely explanation for your Yellow dross.

Maybe this is gold? :)

This alloy is Rio brand factory trapshot only,BHN 8. I've never seen this with my own alloys.

Acid wash made my cast RB:s completely black,indicating heavy contamination.

HI-TEK
04-14-2019, 06:18 AM
Maybe this is gold? :)

This alloy is Rio brand factory trapshot only,BHN 8. I've never seen this with my own alloys.

Acid wash made my cast RB:s completely black,indicating heavy contamination.

What was the colour of the acid wash? Was there a lot of fizzing? I am not certain why acid washed Lead turns black. That is also a mystery...

I have had another option for gold colour on Dross.
I am wondering if that gold came from someone using Gold Hi-Tek on cast.
The Gold is very temperature stable, and easily survives at melted Lead temperature, and it will float on top of molten Lead.
I wonder, as quite a few have obtained some gold in your country.

Stephen Cohen
04-14-2019, 07:25 AM
What was the colour of the acid wash? Was there a lot of fizzing? I am not certain why acid washed Lead turns black. That is also a mystery...

The Gold is very temperature stable, and easily survives at melted Lead temperature, and it will float on top of molten Lead.

I recently god some gold dross while smelting range scrap, I thought it may have been sulphur residue from someone trying to remove zinc, seems you have solved the riddle Joe. I have to admit that in the last few years wheel weights and range scrap can be anything. Regards Stephen

Petander
04-14-2019, 07:33 AM

That ammo/shot comes from Italy. I had nothing else in the pot. Maybe I'm just hitting a sweet spot for this kind of oxidation,casting pure lead hot @ 850°F.

HCL itself doesn't change much in colour at all. My own alloy turns gray when soaked, this trap shot got completely black really. The black "dirt" rinses away leaving lead looking dark grey like pure lead. Which it is,being BHN 8.

Quite a lot of fizzing and tiny bubbles,yes.

Coating is very good,two coats here:

HI-TEK
04-14-2019, 07:48 AM
I recently god some gold dross while smelting range scrap, I thought it may have been sulphur residue from someone trying to remove zinc, seems you have solved the riddle Joe. I have to admit that in the last few years wheel weights and range scrap can be anything. Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Sulphur at melted Lead temperatures would evaporate and or catch fire. Melting point of Sulfur is much lower that Lead.
You mentioned Zinc removal, this is an important area.
If casts are made with Zinc contaminated Lead, if it is acid washed, the acid can in majority, removes available Zinc on the cast surface. If there are cast "holes" pores caused by Zinc, the acid will penetrate and attack exposed Zinc.
Once Zinc is dissolved, it should leave a porous surface. That is ideal for Hi-Tek.
Because of various Gold's being so popular, and used for many years, it is not surprising that shot range scrap would also contain Gold Hi-Tek coatings which should show up with the recycled Lead as dross on top.

Petander
04-14-2019, 07:53 AM
Theory is good but this is not range mystery alloy. I'm converting factory trap ammo to round ball slugs.

Stephen Cohen
04-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Hi Stephen,
Sulphur at melted Lead temperatures would evaporate and or catch fire. Melting point of Sulfur is much lower that Lead.
You mentioned Zinc removal, this is an important area.
If casts are made with Zinc contaminated Lead, if it is acid washed, the acid can in majority, removes available Zinc on the cast surface. If there are cast "holes" pores caused by Zinc, the acid will penetrate and attack exposed Zinc.
Once Zinc is dissolved, it should leave a porous surface. That is ideal for Hi-Tek.
Because of various Gold's being so popular, and used for many years, it is not surprising that shot range scrap would also contain Gold Hi-Tek coatings which should show up with the recycled Lead as dross on top.

I agree with all you said Joe, I have used the sulphur method to remove zinc from badly contaminated lead, and it does catch fire and stink no end, it is only in recent months I have learned about the acid treatment from your advice to Petander and yes it does work a treat. I don't know what we did before this coating become norm, a week never goes by when someone does not give me a handful of cast to coat for them to try. Regards Stephen

hunter74
04-14-2019, 01:50 PM
This is what 6% Zinc in the alloy looks like. I had it testedhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/051eb6b28c24d47af5d37c283628b3dc.jpg

HI-TEK
04-14-2019, 02:09 PM
This is what 6% Zinc in the alloy looks like. I had it testedhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/051eb6b28c24d47af5d37c283628b3dc.jpg

WOW, that looks really bad. It can only be Yellow Lead oxide, as Zinc, and its oxides are white not Yellow. Do you have the analysis results. It may shed some light on what was found.

HI-TEK
04-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Theory is good but this is not range mystery alloy. I'm converting factory trap ammo to round ball slugs.

My theory is not theory at all.
It is quite possible that your alloy simply ends up with Yellow Lead Oxide and no Gold from Hi-Tek coatings. Here, the Gold coatings have been used for 20 plus years in indoor and outdoor ranges and in very high volumes. I would not be surprised at the results of Gold appearance showing up in dross from locally reclaimed Lead from these areas. As I said, the "Gold" is temperature stable above 600C, and is stable well above molten Lead. It simply floats to the top of Molten Lead without any other reaction or nasty fumes, like Sulphur produces.

Petander
04-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Hunter74, was your alloy very hot?

I remember making my first pure lead ingots,I got all the rainbow colours when melting it. It was confusing after years of wheel weights / linotype.

hunter74
04-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Sure, here's a pic of the XRF results.

The alloy got too hot. It went up to 750 F or so before pouring the ingots. No matter how much I flush I can't get rid of the yellow dross. It also makes yellow smoke when stirring the pot. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/15212ebae4f39ed6c0d57c7d0e218b0c.jpg

Tazza
04-14-2019, 04:52 PM
I have had yellow dross years ago when melting unknown indoor range scrap, i have no clue what it was either, all i know is i make sure to keep it away as it looked toxic. I thought sulfur too, but as stated, it would have burnt up.

The odd thing is, range scrap from an outdoor range i have done a few times, i never got this yellow dross, so it's very weird.

Both sources of lead, make great projectiles, so whatever it is, it never seemed to make any issues.

I have had the blue-yellow rainbow colours on pure lead ingots too, but lower themerateures seem to prevent this.

HI-TEK
04-15-2019, 03:55 AM
Sure, here's a pic of the XRF results.

The alloy got too hot. It went up to 750 F or so before pouring the ingots. No matter how much I flush I can't get rid of the yellow dross. It also makes yellow smoke when stirring the pot. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/15212ebae4f39ed6c0d57c7d0e218b0c.jpg

The test shows Titanium at 1.2%. That is a strange metal to have in a Lead alloy.

HI-TEK
04-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Hunter, I believe that the Lead was far too hot, and was reacting with Oxygen to form the Yellow form of the Lead Oxide.
By your stirring you constantly exposed more Lead to Oxygen to form more Yellow Lead Oxide, which became airborne dust.
Very bad situation. There are many warning about excessive heating of any Lead alloy, where even Lead vapours are generated.
In a Foundry situation, the metal is shielded by inert gas to stop Oxidation. If they are refining with excessive heat, or dissolving Antimony, all gasses emitted are sucked into and scrubbed by metal fume capture system. Any oxidation taking place is loss of Metal, which has to again be reduced from the Oxide by reducing agents such as Iron dust or granules. The Iron extracts Oxygen from Lead Oxide forming essentially Iron Oxides, and this reaction liberates back the Lead.

hunter74
04-15-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm sure you are right about too high heat and oxidation. Anyway the lead contains way too much Zn to be usable for casting the way it is. I have about 50 kilos of this alloy and I most likely will trade it in for new lead where I got it. At first I thought about thinning it out to <1% of Zn. By experience it can be usable for boolits when under 1% Zn but I don't think I'll bother.

HI-TEK
04-15-2019, 09:49 AM
I'm sure you are right about too high heat and oxidation. Anyway the lead contains way too much Zn to be usable for casting the way it is. I have about 50 kilos of this alloy and I most likely will trade it in for new lead where I got it. At first I thought about thinning it out to <1% of Zn. By experience it can be usable for boolits when under 1% Zn but I don't think I'll bother.

Hunter,
You can get rid of Zinc by various ways.
1. Use Lead Sulphate from old car batteries, The Zinc will react with this and release Lead, and then form Zinc Sulphate dross.
2. You can also use Copper Sulphate, available from most agricultural supply store. The Zinc will react with this releasing Copper into the Lead, and the Zinc will form Zinc Sulphate dross.
Essentially you remove the Zinc very easily to an acceptable level.
Alternatively, as Petander did, simply cast, then acid wash to remove surface Zinc. This will help with coating as well.
All above can supply a usable alloy.

hunter74
04-15-2019, 09:54 AM
My Bullet Master drips too much with Zn alloy. I have tried and it's too much of a PITA for me to do again. I'll try to get either of the sulphates you suggest. Thanx

Petander
04-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Alternatively, as Petander did, simply cast, then acid wash to remove surface Zinc. This will help with coating as well.

I don't have Zinc in my main alloy though, only Niobium (!!!) and copper.

This blackening trap shot may have anything though. I'll send it for test,just out of curiosity.

HI-TEK
04-16-2019, 09:06 AM
I have had yellow dross years ago when melting unknown indoor range scrap, i have no clue what it was either, all i know is i make sure to keep it away as it looked toxic. I thought sulfur too, but as stated, it would have burnt up.

The odd thing is, range scrap from an outdoor range i have done a few times, i never got this yellow dross, so it's very weird.

Both sources of lead, make great projectiles, so whatever it is, it never seemed to make any issues.

I have had the blue-yellow rainbow colours on pure lead ingots too, but lower themerateures seem to prevent this.

Tazza, I suggest, that you use iron filing, or get machine shop granular Iron/steel. The finer you can get with this iron/Steel the better. Put this onto your molten Lead that has the dross and stir carefully. The iron will react with the Lead Oxide and liberate the Lead back into bulk. Result is, that you will then get Iron Oxides and reduce Lead losses with formation of Oxidised Dross..
Years ago, I used stuff called Ferrum redactum which was a fine granular deoxidised pure Iron powder. Ebay is selling Iron powder in bulk bags if you are refining a lot of scrap alloy. It is quite expensive.
It is cheaper to get turnings from a machine shop, Steel supply store, where they cut a lot of steel with rotary cut off disc saw. They will give it to you to take away.

Petander
04-16-2019, 01:35 PM
I squirted some Zombie Green in the bowl while coating with TMG Gold.

Tazza
04-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advise Joe, i'll be sure to give this a go next time i'm processing range scrap. I have easy access to shavings, i may need to start keeping the ones i generate with my lathe and metal cutting saw :)

Petander - those look awesome!

HI-TEK
04-17-2019, 07:33 AM
I squirted some Zombie Green in the bowl while coating with TMG Gold.

Petander you have just invented Aussie colours Green and Gold.. very nice...

ioon44
04-17-2019, 08:28 AM
I done a first coat with Candy Apple Red and a second coat with Liquid Black and liked the way it came out, I called it Black Apple.
Sometimes mixing colors look nice and sometimes not but always shoot fine.

Vettepilot
04-17-2019, 02:54 PM

I've gotta say, that's pretty cool, and I normally don't really care for green!

Vettepilot

M.A.D
04-18-2019, 06:37 AM
So i bit the bullet and bought 500 Grams of Black K15. At what velocities do you go from single coat to double coat? My loads are .32 88 grain BBWC @ 700 fps, .38 144 grain BBWC @ 800 fps, .357 125 grain TC @ 1300 fps, 38 Super 125 grain TC @ 1350 fps, .45 200 grain SWC @ 850 fps , .70 1800 grain TC @ 1100 fps. Most are Lee Tumble lube apart from the 70 cal. Any pointers greatly appreciated

Ausglock
04-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Always do 2 coats. K15 covers very well. Overbaking is no problem as black is black. I have never had good results with coated tumble lube bullets.

M.A.D
04-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Accuracy or leading or both

Petander
04-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Yes! And can you believe,I just read that this has been invented somewhere in Australia already! Such a coinsidence.

Ausglock
04-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Accuracy or leading or both

Both. The 228gn 45 tumbled badly.
The 9mm TL bullets leaded like buggery.
Go buy some decent molds from Tom @ accurate molds in the US. his molds are first rate.

M.A.D
04-18-2019, 07:37 PM
Oh he does do good molds. Did my 1800 grain Hollowpoint

Papercidal
04-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Both. The 228gn 45 tumbled badly.
The 9mm TL bullets leaded like buggery.
Go buy some decent molds from Tom @ accurate molds in the US. his molds are first rate.

I had the same issue with the 124gr tc tumble lube bullet in 9mm until I slowed them way down then they where a great plinking load with about .22lr recoil but I’ve since moved to better bullet designs that allow me to load to make minor power factor.

Stephen Cohen
04-19-2019, 05:32 PM
I am glad this heads up on the tumble lube moulds was posted, I very near purchased one thinking it would be a good bullet to coat and use. Regards Stephen

Vettepilot
04-20-2019, 03:36 PM
I had the same issue with the 124gr tc tumble lube bullet in 9mm until I slowed them way down then they where a great plinking load with about .22lr recoil but I’ve since moved to better bullet designs that allow me to load to make minor power factor.

Any conjecture as to why these particular bullets lead and/or are inaccurate? And you had leading using these with Hi-tech coating? How about with powder coat?

Thanks,
Vettepilot

Ausglock
04-20-2019, 06:35 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the poor bearing surface. All the little grooves seem to cause the bearing surface to strip when engaging the rifling. especially when pushed fast in 9mm or 38Super.
The 45 was just very poor accuracy and tumbling.

Stephen Cohen
04-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Any conjecture as to why these particular bullets lead and/or are inaccurate? And you had leading using these with Hi-tech coating? How about with powder coat?

Thanks,
Vettepilot

I believe I have read some place that they shot well with powder coat, but I have seen some pics of them powder coated and it seems to fill the little grooves in them. I think Ausglock is right about bad bearing surface being the problem, not even Hi-Tek can fix a bad bullet design it seems. Regards Stephen

Vettepilot
04-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Hmmm... I have one of these molds that I've never used. Maybe I will just machine the lube bands out of the mold and use it as a "coated boolit only" mold.

Thanks for the answers!

Vettepilot

Stephen Cohen
04-21-2019, 01:29 AM
Hmmm... I have one of these molds that I've never used. Maybe I will just machine the lube bands out of the mold and use it as a "coated boolit only" mold.

Thanks for the answers!

Vettepilot

I did this with a Lyman 156gr steel mould and it made a great 170 gr bullet after lube grooves removed. Regards Stephen

Vettepilot
04-21-2019, 04:26 AM
Sounds like a plan then.

Thanks,
Vettepilot

M.A.D
04-21-2019, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the answers!

Vettepilot

Not a bad idea, I think i will do it myself

Ausglock
04-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Ball end slot drills and end mills do good work.
I opened up a 40cal TC mold to make 210gn RN molds. Only problem is that they become flat base...I hate flat base bullets.

Vettepilot
04-21-2019, 05:17 PM
When I get around to it, I will see which way is best/easiest. My first thought was to take the mold apart and chuck it in my lathe in a four jaw chuck. This is certainly do-able, but a bit of a PITA. Now however, I have access to a milling machine, which will be easier if I can round up the right size reamer or end mill.

In the end though, it should make a good boolit.

Yesterday I made a nipple wrench for my Black Powder revolver, and a cartridge case comparator set for my calipers using the lathe and mill. $60.00 worth of tools made for nearly nothing, and they are better than store bought. Plus there is the satisfaction of having done it. Nice!! :smile:

Vettepilot

M.A.D
04-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Ball end slot drills and end mills do good work.
I opened up a 40cal TC mold to make 210gn RN molds. Only problem is that they become flat base...I hate flat base bullets.

I have a Fadal VMC 4020 with a double acting vice , ceramic tips will easily turn down HSS tools , Um wait a minute, are you telling me, you can have 45acp and 40 cal in NSW on your H license?? And get to shoot two matches in one day? Arrrrgggg...... Or a small Woodruff cutter would do it also... So what size would you open up a lee Tumble lube 9mm to if you wee going to coat it in Hi tek? Would you remove all the grooves?

M.A.D
04-21-2019, 06:36 PM
When I get around to it, I will see which way is best/easiest. My first thought was to take the mold apart and chuck it in my lathe in a four jaw chuck. This is certainly do-able, but a bit of a PITA. Now however, I have access to a milling machine, which will be easier if I can round up the right size reamer or end mill.

In the end though, it should make a good boolit.

Yesterday I made a nipple wrench for my Black Powder revolver, and a cartridge case comparator set for my calipers using the lathe and mill. $60.00 worth of tools made for nearly nothing, and they are better than store bought. Plus there is the satisfaction of having done it. Nice!! :smile:

Vettepilot

Nothing beats making everything yourself.. But those of us living down under need to be very very careful when it comes to making all things firearms related.. One persons interpretation of the Weapons Acts can easily be different from another's..

Ausglock
04-21-2019, 07:46 PM
I use 40, 44 and 45 for Metallic Sillywets.
Also 45ACP for "Wild Bunch" all on a Hical permit.

I used a 10mm ball nose and it works great in the 40S&W with 2 coats of HITEK

Tazza
04-22-2019, 04:46 AM
When johny wanted my .45, i shot sillywet once, i then reluctantly gave it up :( One day i may give it another go.

M.A.D - you are spot on, there is always someone out there trying to blame things on us in the media, anything to disarm the legal folk out there

Vettepilot
04-22-2019, 03:27 PM
I am terrified that the USA is headed the same way on gun control. The general public is so dam gullible, ignorant, and led like sheep to slaughter regarding these subjects and allowing the government to run (ruin) our lives...

Vettepilot

Tazza
04-22-2019, 04:27 PM
I have heard they have tried to strip the USA public of their rights, but i thought as it's in their constitution, they simply can't do it. I even saw a perfect example of the public's stupidity after a shooting, they were saying an AR15 was an assault rifle, that's what the AR means!!!! No one needs an assault rifle version 15......

What always gets me about our laws, is the media spin it saying how many people die via firearm, they don't break it down into to murders, suicides, etc. Then with those stats, how many die in cars? they don't ban the family car cause it hit someone and caused a death. We all know a firearm is a machine, nothing more, it's the person behind it, same as a car. Don't get started with malpractice from health care providers, they would be banned instantly!

Avenger442
04-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Until you change the heart of the person behind the machine you will never change the outcome of the machine's use.

Joe
I know this might have been discussed before but is Hi Tek compatible with using naphtha as a solvent? Naphtha doesn't attract moisture when drying like some others. Was mentioned as the go to solvent for a project I was looking at because of this.

M.A.D
04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Thing is, We are the most scrutinized people in Australia, We have State and Federal police background checks just so we can have a gun. And we are always the bad guy.. Yet in reality, We are the most honest people in Australia..

M.A.D
04-23-2019, 06:51 PM
Out of curiosity, While I'm waiting for my delivery to arrive, Has anyone tried using their Swaging Dies to just swage a perfect lead bullet, de grease it, then Hi tek it? Did they work? I swage a 260 grain for my Whisper , Wondering if a coated lead version would work , Same for my 700 HBH

Tazza
04-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Thing is, We are the most scrutinized people in Australia, We have State and Federal police background checks just so we can have a gun. And we are always the bad guy.. Yet in reality, We are the most honest people in Australia..

So very true, to get our licence, we need to do a safety course that takes a full day or two now, have police checks, have on going checks on our storage facilities, get bitched out by the media and public that feel they know better than we do.

The public just can't get it through their head that they can ban every gun that exists, the bad guys will still get them and use them. We go through so much ** to get a gun legally, we aren't going to do anything stupid to loose that right.

I see posts about it on facebook, some people get all aggressive on both sides, i just skip past, i have said my peace on there in the past, nothing changes, so i just move on and let other people get frustrated.

I even had someone post something gun related, to which i replied with sarcasm "ooh guns, bad bad" This turd went off his nut at me, i just sat back, not saying that i was also a LEGAL firearm owner. These are the sort of people that give all of us a bad name. He didn't take a breath and ask me any questions, just went off on a rant. That is till i got a word in to say well..... Actually i too am a legal firearm owner of a good 17 odd years, that also runs 2 pistol matches for my local club. He quickly changed his tune when he realized we were "brothers" then said we should get a beer some time.... yeah.... nah

Tazza
04-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Out of curiosity, While I'm waiting for my delivery to arrive, Has anyone tried using their Swaging Dies to just swage a perfect lead bullet, de grease it, then Hi tek it? Did they work? I swage a 260 grain for my Whisper , Wondering if a coated lead version would work , Same for my 700 HBH

I actually wanted to try and swage lead projectiles, no idea how it would work, it would be slow but interesting all the same.

So nreason why it wouldn't work with a de-grease then coat with Hi-Tek

Vettepilot
04-23-2019, 09:25 PM
Someone should just invent a really good, mass-produced, AA battery powered laser gun to give the "do-gooders" something else to worry about legislating out of existence, and leave us nice folks the he'll alone!! :-P

So anyway, what's the material cost to get started with the Hi-Tek system? (I have acetone, oven, etc.)

Vettepilot

Tazza
04-23-2019, 09:59 PM
You just need powder and a plastic jar to shake them in. Oih and a place to let them dry.

Very easy process to do

DDriller
04-23-2019, 11:29 PM

I have a .458 swage die set that I am going to try it with when I get time to cast some 450 grain bullets. Works great for swaging jacketed bullets. Think I will degrease and also soak in acid before trying to coat.

Stephen Cohen
04-24-2019, 02:30 AM

I believe you will have problems with coating sticking to swaged bullets, I believe swaging will give the same smooth surface that sizing will and this causes problems with adhesion, perhaps soaking the swaged bullets in acid will give a surface that will allow good adhesion. Regards Stephen

HI-TEK
04-24-2019, 03:10 AM
Joe
I know this might have been discussed before but is Hi Tek compatible with using naphtha as a solvent? Naphtha doesn't attract moisture when drying like some others. Was mentioned as the go to solvent for a project I was looking at because of this.

Hi Avenger
Sorry, but solvents like Naptha and other Hydrocarbons do not work.
The Hi-Tek coatings, aside from Acetone and MEK, simply like solvents that contain Oxygen, like Methanol (too unfriendly material), Ethanol, Propanol, to a lesser extent Iso Propanol (Never tried it). There may be others, but I have not tried these as the best type for end use was Acetone and MEK.
Actually, coating itself will attract moisture to an extent if left in containers not sealed well. Any solvent used, that dries quickly, will chill due to fast evaporation rates. This simple phenomena will also cool alloy and coating and resulting chilling effect will attract moisture to coated surfaces. This moisture is then trapped inside coating, and unless dried out adequately, will cause a problem.

M.A.D
04-24-2019, 04:22 AM
Someone should just invent a really good, mass-produced, AA battery powered laser gun to give the "do-gooders" something else to worry about legislating out of existence, and leave us nice folks the he'll alone!! :-P

So anyway, what's the material cost to get started with the Hi-Tek system? (I have acetone, oven, etc.)

Vettepilot

I was doing some prototyping work and when i was finished , I was invited to NORINCO's Building 182 about an hour north of Beijing, Right next to NORINCO's Test range ( If you love Rock and Rollers , You would drool at their collection) Anyway while i was there, I was shown a Laser rifle.. It was pretty big and would have weighed a good 40kg (95lbs) they told me it could blind a person at 1.8 miles (3km) Now , that was 20 years ago... Battery technology etc has come along way... They probably have something a 1/4 of the size now..

M.A.D
04-24-2019, 04:28 AM
Well I degrease my cores after swaging to weight and size, And then i give them a hot wash in a caustic solution , That oxidises the lead , let the cores sit for a few days, then i seat them in the jacket.. I wonder if the oxidised lead would make it stick better? Anyway, As soon as my Hi Tec Black K15 arrives, I will give it a go...And let you all know..

M.A.D
04-24-2019, 04:30 AM
Which club do you shoot at?

Vettepilot
04-24-2019, 03:45 PM
I was doing some prototyping work and when i was finished , I was invited to NORINCO's Building 182 about an hour north of Beijing, Right next to NORINCO's Test range ( If you love Rock and Rollers , You would drool at their collection) Anyway while i was there, I was shown a Laser rifle.. It was pretty big and would have weighed a good 40kg (95lbs) they told me it could blind a person at 1.8 miles (3km) Now , that was 20 years ago... Battery technology etc has come along way... They probably have something a 1/4 of the size now..

Yeah. And just imagine the secret stuff the governments have that we know nothing about!

They make a big deal about satellite technology today. When I learned to fly back in 1975, the owner of the flight school was retired Air Force. He said he had worked with satellite imagery, and that it could read the name off a golf ball laying on the ground. That was 45 years ago!!! (He also said he wasn't supposed to talk about it!)

So, just to try out Hi-Tek and see if I like it... maybe do a couple hundred boolits, how much do I get and what would it cost?

Vettepilot

Also, re coating swaged bullets, what if you tumbled them in walnut shells to roughen up the surface?

Tazza
04-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Which club do you shoot at?

I shoot at ssaa belmont. Been there so long, i can't be botheted moving to more competitive clubs like metro or city of brisbane that are just round the corner.

HI-TEK
04-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Yeah. And just imagine the secret stuff the governments have that we know nothing about!

They make a big deal about satellite technology today. When I learned to fly back in 1975, the owner of the flight school was retired Air Force. He said he had worked with satellite imagery, and that it could read the name off a golf ball laying on the ground. That was 45 years ago!!! (He also said he wasn't supposed to talk about it!)

So, just to try out Hi-Tek and see if I like it... maybe do a couple hundred boolits, how much do I get and what would it cost?

Vettepilot

Also, re coating swaged bullets, what if you tumbled them in walnut shells to roughen up the surface?

Vettepilot

To answer your questions, my initial reaction is that to coat a couple of hundred, you may be better off with going to a mates place and do some when they have already made some coating mixture.
I will try to explain why.
1. Consider, making up coating mixture, using 20grams to 120 mls Acetone.
From this mixture you use about 6 mls of mixture to coat 250 projectiles with first coat.
Using two by 6 mls of mixture (two coats onto 250 ) you end up with about 118mls of coating mixture.
The 118 mls remainder can probably coat another 2400 projectiles.
If you don't have enough projectiles to coat with this mixture, you will need to have it in a tightly closed container kept out of sunlight and kept cool. In terms of buying this small amount is not practical, that is why I suggested getting together with a friend or get a small amount of powdered Hi-Tek from a friend to use yourself.
Simply, 1 kilo of the Hi-Tek powder should coat about 120,000 to 130,000 projectiles.
2. Roughing up alloy. If you use any media to tumble projectiles, they need to be free of all other lubricants/chemicals that are sometimes included . The alloy must be free of all contamination like soaps, grease oil ect etc... otherwise you will get bonding failures.

Vettepilot
04-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Ok, thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't have any shooting buddies here, much less one that happens to use Hi-tech. :-x

I will shoot the ones I have that were coated by Missouri Bullets, (sorry...boolits), and if it goes well I will just buy some powder. It would take me a long time to use 120,000 boolits worth! Is that, (a kilo), the smallest size generally sold??

Thanks again,
Vettepilot
In the vast, ugly, HOT Mojave desert of northwestern Arizona, USA

HI-TEK
04-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Ok, thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't have any shooting buddies here, much less one that happens to use Hi-tech. :-x

I will shoot the ones I have that were coated by Missouri Bullets, (sorry...boolits), and if it goes well I will just buy some powder. It would take me a long time to use 120,000 boolits worth! Is that, (a kilo), the smallest size generally sold??

Thanks again,
Vettepilot

OK, the best person to supply would be Donnie at Hi-Performance who has small packs that would suit your needs.

Vettepilot
04-24-2019, 08:48 PM
Great!

Thanks!

Vettepilot

Stephen Cohen
04-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Thank you Hi-Tek Joe, the canister of Candy Apple red you sent me arrived. As soon as I can I will cook a batch and let you know how it went. I could tell you that already as I know it will be great. regards Stephen

Papercidal
04-24-2019, 11:28 PM

Thanks again,
Vettepilot

Donnie from hi performance bullet coatings has very small containers of hi tec for well under 20$ which are enough to coat many thousands of bullets.

Vettepilot
04-25-2019, 12:04 AM
Wow. That's cool, and good to know. Thanks!

Vettepilot

HI-TEK
04-25-2019, 04:14 AM
Wow. That's cool, and good to know. Thanks!

Vettepilot

The below link is to coatings by hi-performance bullet coatings who is a member and vendor.

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/hi-tek-supercoat-powder-3-5-oz-container/

or hi-performancebulletcoatings.com

There are other pack sizes, and colours are displayed.

Ausglock
04-25-2019, 05:49 AM
The leftover coating is a great weed killer. just pour it over the weeds....works for me.
I throw out heaps of mixed coatings.

Gremlin460
04-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Totally off topic, but then I am like that...

Anyone got a 38 conversion kit for a XL650 they not longer want/need?? Really cheap would be nice..

Caio..

Petander
04-25-2019, 04:04 PM
I still have Black Cherry and Bronze that I mixed 20grams/100 ml one year ago when I got my first Hi-Tek package. Stored in room temp in plastic bottles,they are still working fine,I just haven't used those two colors very much.

Tazza
04-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I still have Black Cherry and Bronze that I mixed 20grams/100 ml one year ago when I got my first Hi-Tek package. Stored in room temp in plastic bottles,they are still working fine,I just haven't used those two colors very much.

Trevor is just too rich to bother holding on to old mixed hi-tek :)

He is known for his green, there is a limit to how many projectiles you can shoot of the test colours he has, so what else can you really do with it?

I know for me, i shoot whatever i cast that i class as seconds, a nick here and there in the coating, there is nothing wrong with them for performance, it's just an appearance thing. I don't care what colour they are, as long as they exit the barrel without leaving skid marks.

Ausglock
04-25-2019, 06:00 PM
Ha... Not rich, Just no room to store it all. And I need to make more room as I am getting into 3D printing and need the space.

Tazza
04-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Well, not after getting into 3d printing :) I have wanted to get one, but i just can't think of enough stuff to make with it to justify the price.

I'll have to dream up some projects for you to test out your new machines on....

Ausglock
04-25-2019, 06:18 PM
There is heaps of things... Dillon bits, bullet feeders and dropper dies, Mag bases, tool holders. the list is endless.
thingiverse has millions of things to print

Tazza
04-25-2019, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah, i saw heaps of stuff on there, i still only have a poverty lee 1000, but saw some funky additions for them that i wouldn't mind.

The one thing i did want to build, was an ammo mike bullet feeder, he put so much work into it, i'd like to give it a go, and see if i can get the temperamental lee feeder thingie to work, others have gotten it to function, but i have had limited success. I just bought a house, so time and cash is a bit short to fund a blue press :(

If you get right into it, you can offer custom work, if you do it right, and you have to design it, you'd own the design to sell the part to the next person. I had a mad mate from the club wanting sights printing for one of his guns as it was missing. He wanted it in plastic for proof of concept, then possibly make a metal one.

dikman
05-01-2019, 09:26 PM
3D printers are a useful tool to have around (imo). I had no idea what I would use one for when I built mine but I figured it was time I learned a bit about them. Thingiverse is great as people providing the .stl files saves me having to learn how to create things. I even printed an inertia-type boolit puller and it works surprisingly well.

Petander
05-02-2019, 08:27 AM
I took a look at Thingiverse. Impressive.

I have a pistol question,a local dealer has a second hand STI Trojan. I haven't seen the gun but I asked about the throat / leade and they said it looks rather sharp. Thinking cast here,obviously.

Do you have STI / coated boolit experience? Trevor? Anyone?

It's been a while that I've had a 45, I've had a few Colts and a Tangwang. But at one point I switched to 9mm. Now with all these coatings,lead and molds I might like a 1911 again... I still shoot them ok,tight doubles.

Here is the pistol:

Tazza
05-02-2019, 05:00 PM
I have only ever run cast in my pistols.

Trevor uses cast in his Turbor in .38 super in open class i believe, he makes sure the lead coming out is scooting.

I have an open class STI 2011 that i managed to bulge the barrel on, still trying to get a replacement, it only ever ran my cast.

I currently have an sti executive, original barrel and it only shoots cast.

You won't have any issues running cast in it, especially with coated lead. I have people pushing my lead out of all sorts of guns without leading issues.

Ausglock
05-02-2019, 05:12 PM
STI Trubor running major loads in 38 Supercomp, STI Tac 5.0 9mm running minor loads. both have no issues with coated. many people run STI here and most use coated lead.

Tazza
05-02-2019, 05:19 PM
STI Trubor running major loads in 38 Supercomp, STI Tac 5.0 9mm running minor loads. both have no issues with coated. many people run STI here and most use coated lead.

Only people with too much money seem to shoot jacketed :)

Burnt Fingers
05-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Any news on the blue front?

Ausglock
05-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Any news on the blue front?

Talked to Joe last night. He has a few new Blue samples to send through for testing..
Will let you all know the outcome.. Fingers crossed..

Tazza
05-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Lets hope it's good, i'd be up to try some blue if it does work out.

I remember years ago, someone that used to sell a metalic looking blue, obviously not hi-tek but they looked awesome. It was a bright blue like a peacock feather

dansedgli
05-02-2019, 08:52 PM
I've had 3 or 4 Trojans in 38 super and 45. Good guns and like coated bullets.

Here's me shooting my 45 a few years ago. This gun is what got me into casting after paying $200 for 1000 projectiles. Only did that once.

Excuse the camera quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPH_-5KuLU0&t=15s

Someone at my club shoots those blue bullets. She has been around for years and years.

Stephen Cohen
05-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Lets hope it's good, i'd be up to try some blue if it does work out.

I remember years ago, someone that used to sell a metalic looking blue, obviously not hi-tek but they looked awesome. It was a bright blue like a peacock feather

I remember those pretty blue bullets, they leaded my barrel badly so I put 2 in my collection and melted the rest, I hope Joe can get a blue that works for his own sense of satisfaction. I for one am very happy with the colours already in the HI-Tek range. I honestly believe the blue you speak of was only some form of paint as I could scratch it off with my finger nail. I had a mate who saw how badly those bullets leaded my barrel and he refused to use my Hi-Tek coated bullets until recently, but is now a convert. Regards Stephen

Tazza
05-02-2019, 11:34 PM
I too don't really care about the colour, as long as they don't leave skid marks on the way out, i'm really not worried. "pretty colours" are a bonus, but really not needed.

It is good to have A colour that you're known for though, like Trevor has, see zombie green, those are susan island.

Ausglock
05-03-2019, 02:51 AM
The Blue was made by Hawksbury river bullet company. They were sold as Bluehawks.
Bloody horrible bullets... leaded like buggery and the blue came off on your hands while reloading.
I think it was a mix of Armature laquer and blue ink, Joe would know...

M.A.D
05-03-2019, 04:40 AM
I have only ever run cast in my pistols.

Trevor uses cast in his Turbor in .38 super in open class i believe, he makes sure the lead coming out is scooting.

I have an open class STI 2011 that i managed to bulge the barrel on, still trying to get a replacement, it only ever ran my cast.

I currently have an sti executive, original barrel and it only shoots cast.

You won't have any issues running cast in it, especially with coated lead. I have people pushing my lead out of all sorts of guns without leading issues.

What length Super barrel do you need?

M.A.D
05-03-2019, 04:51 AM
Hi Petander, So you're located in Finland, what are the gun laws like there , For handguns? Bolt Actions? Semi Autos? Fun Mode etc? As for your 45, Cast a copy of the H&G68 .. I wish Queensland would let me have a 45 1911 again..

eljefeoz
05-03-2019, 06:32 AM
The Blue was made by Hawksbury river bullet company. They were sold as Bluehawks.
Bloody horrible bullets... leaded like buggery and the blue came off on your hands while reloading.
I think it was a mix of Armature laquer and blue ink, Joe would know...

I have a few of those. Used them in my martini cadet in 7.62x39. Coated a few today with HiTEK. Let’s see how they go at 1800fps.

Stephen Cohen
05-03-2019, 06:41 AM
I have a few of those. Used them in my martini cadet in 7.62x39. Coated a few today with HiTEK. Let’s see how they go at 1800fps.

I can tell you they will work great as I drive 158gr plain bases at 2400fps in my 357 max with no leading and great accuracy. I hope you did not mean you coated over those blue things with Hi-Tek, if you did I think you will be disappointed as I was when I tried it. If you start with nice clean cast and coat those you will never go back to waxes or snail snot. Interesting that you have a Martini in that calibre we were just discussing running a 30/30 through that die and making a rimmed version on another thread. Regards Stephen

Petander
05-03-2019, 06:59 AM
Hi Petander, So you're located in Finland, what are the gun laws like there , For handguns? Bolt Actions? Semi Autos? Fun Mode etc? As for your 45, Cast a copy of the H&G68 .. I wish Queensland would let me have a 45 1911 again..

Our laws are pretty strict and complicated but reasonable,especially when you compete and are active in clubs. Lots of paperwork though. Laws are changing all the time, now the California-style magazine limits are coming. Gun owners are under a magnifying glass,a speeding ticket can get your guns confiscated. We try to avoid any trouble,I don't go to bars,sold my motorbike etc.

Young people have the hardest time when applying for their first guns. Many don't bother to start any gun related hobbies. I can see legal gun ownership getting only worse,antis and "city-greens" are everywhere.

About H&G, I have the real thing 200 SWC #68. :)

EDIT: I remembered wrong,my Hensley&Gibbs is #130 , dropping 185 grains.

Thank ya'll for STI info. Tempting...

eljefeoz
05-03-2019, 07:50 AM
I can tell you they will work great as I drive 158gr plain bases at 2400fps in my 357 max with no leading and great accuracy. I hope you did not mean you coated over those blue things with Hi-Tek, if you did I think you will be disappointed as I was when I tried it. If you start with nice clean cast and coat those you will never go back to waxes or snail snot. Interesting that you have a Martini in that calibre we were just discussing running a 30/30 through that die and making a rimmed version on another thread. Regards Stephen

Steve,
I found those in my hoard while searching for a mould today. Coated 6 along with my regular Lee 155gr 0.312” for the martini. I started at 11.5 gr of Blue Dot and am now at 23.5 gr 2207 in the cadet and the daughters Zasty in the same caliber.
The blue ones Passed the smash and acetone rub. The Lee do fantastic off the cadet,Tony Small- Afro 408 here - made it for me.its posted on another thread here. Proper tack driver it is. I haven’t used snail snot since I got into HITEK,and routinely coat all my projjies. I must tell you, the woody 400 gr Hydro for my .404 came out a shocking pink after a coat of Bronze 502!hurriedly did a 2nd coat to get them right! The accuracy of Hitek coated ‘condoms’ is fantastic in all calibers, from .223 to .404 - far,far better than uncoated.
I use only bronze 502 and Texas Tea. Mate and I have ordered some red and black from Joe and we’re casting flat out to get ready for the new colours...

Stephen Cohen
05-03-2019, 09:15 PM
eljefeoz I wonder how we got along before Hi-Tek, I hear people say its too much effort and time consuming but what price does one put on performance. I have coated cast in containers that have been sitting for years with no ill effect, I could only imagine the mess if they were coated in a wax after all these years in this hot weather. I was only talking with another mate yesterday who wants to come round and learn how to coat for himself. Regards Stephen

eljefeoz
05-04-2019, 06:48 AM
I’ve gotten 3 over to the dark side. Tony Small was the hardest. He decided to start with coating the 600 gr behemoths from his CBE mould for his custom built .577/.500. I think he’s stopped using a copper tube to blow into the chamber to unclog it with BP residue, once he was on HITEK.
I lurked for 2 years before I dived in. Surprisingly (for me) the coating came out perfect and I haven’t stopped since. It helps that Joe is a phone call away, answers the phone, and has the time to explain to a newb about trouble shooting, temperatures and variances and pitfalls.

I suggest you PM Tony - he’s made a 8x40 Nickal on a cadet action,IIRC , using a .303 case - and it flattens fallow with regular monotony ! ;)

M.A.D
05-04-2019, 09:12 AM
241053 A cadet in 256 Win, About to build another in 300 Whisper Rimmed

eljefeoz
05-04-2019, 09:43 AM
241053 A cadet in 256 Win, About to build another in 300 Whisper Rimmed

What’s the parent case? Mine was to be a .223/7mm but went with the 7.62x39 because I had a smelly bbl laying around and couldn’t wait to get a 7mm.

Stephen Cohen
05-05-2019, 05:32 AM
What’s the parent case? Mine was to be a .223/7mm but went with the 7.62x39 because I had a smelly bbl laying around and couldn’t wait to get a 7mm.

Very nice work, I also thought of a 30 cal based on the 357 max shell. regards Stephen

M.A.D
05-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Very nice work, I also thought of a 30 cal based on the 357 max shell. regards Stephen

Trim 1.7 mm off a Lee Blackout Size die and run 357 mag cases in.. They are a little thing of beauty....

eljefeoz
05-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Goofed up with some ‘ Gun metal ‘ i did on some 230 gr RN. Igot the gunmetal hitek in an exchange. First two lots came out great, albeit a bit darker. But shiny and slippery. Acetone rub and smash all good , sized after 2 coats. Got a bit carried away, sized the next lot after 1 coat, then coat and dry for 30min on top of the little oven until hot to touch, bake.
2nd bake shows leprous splotches on the body...

Stephen Cohen
05-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Goofed up with some ‘ Gun metal ‘ i did on some 230 gr RN. Igot the gunmetal hitek in an exchange. First two lots came out great, albeit a bit darker. But shiny and slippery. Acetone rub and smash all good , sized after 2 coats. Got a bit carried away, sized the next lot after 1 coat, then coat and dry for 30min on top of the little oven until hot to touch, bake.

Were the spots like burst bubble which I believe are caused but moisture being trapped under the coat when it is dried as you say, it then bursts when baked, I much prefer to let my coating dry over night. If the spots were just light spots it could be from not shaking the coating enough or coating becoming chilled when shaken, in the cooler weather I find the cast do chill when tumbled and seem to attract moisture and leave little white spots which seem to remain when baked if not let dry overnight. I always size after my final coat which is generally 3 coats for rifle and 2 pistol. Regards Stephen

Tazza
05-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Trim 1.7 mm off a Lee Blackout Size die and run 357 mag cases in.. They are a little thing of beauty....

Do you do this to be able to form the case neck of the .357 mag cases? Do you need to anneal the brass first to get it to form without wrinkling?

One day i'd like to build a rifle, but not sure i'd trust myself enough to go for something out of the ordinary, as cases can be hard to get, yet if you can re-form a popular case like .357 mag, you'll never have issues getting brass.

Tazza
05-06-2019, 08:04 PM

Could it be that you shook them too long allowing the coating to dry too much and these bubbles are actually just lumps of dried coating? l

eljefeoz
05-06-2019, 08:51 PM
We’re going thru a bit of wet here. And it’s cold. 6 deg at night in my shed. There are no bubbles or marks. More like a white patch. Could be a combination of improper drying and the drop in temps ? If they pass crush and acetone rub, will use them in the .45. Else remelt. But the first 2 batches came out perfect. Lesson learnt. Size after 2!coats. Because I do about 80-100 of the .45 a go, I stand em up to dry and bake and have found better results. At least to my eye. Can’t do that with a heap of itty bitty .225 RCBS! Those do just fine all scattered and spread out in the normal manner. The .223 are sized and GCd after first coat, 2 more coats of Texas tea. and pass all tests. Can’t wait to try them with 24.5gr of 06.

Stephen Cohen
05-07-2019, 12:27 AM
Let us know how you go with the 223 and 24.5 of 06, I have never tried that calibre with cast. Regards Stephen

dansedgli
05-07-2019, 12:43 AM
You might have introduced contaminants when sizing so the coating didn't stick right?

I am due to cast more projies soon unless I go back to shooting 357 sig. Almost out of 9mm. :(

Ausglock
05-07-2019, 05:24 AM
Almost out of 9mm. :(

I know a bloke that can hook you up, Bro...:bigsmyl2:

eljefeoz
05-07-2019, 05:44 AM
Gave the white Patch projjies an acetone rub. Good as new, no rub off, crush done. Now to load...whatever the gremlins were, seem to be minor. The technique and solution were unchanged. Let’s see how they do with 5.6gr AP70. Yup, Steve, I’ll defini share the .223 cast results. Have cast them hard. About BHN 18. And sized using Hitek’s aqualube

eljefeoz
05-07-2019, 05:48 AM
PS Dan- I’ll clean the sizing die again with metho/ acetone. The whitish flecks were just that, didn’t need even a rub with the acetone soaked cloth!
I don’t use wax lubes and did about 250 in 3 colours in that same die before this lot of 120. wonder what caused it... all seems well, now to change colours - the cherry red and black have arrived

M.A.D
05-07-2019, 07:08 AM
Do you do this to be able to form the case neck of the .357 mag cases? Do you need to anneal the brass first to get it to form without wrinkling?

One day i'd like to build a rifle, but not sure i'd trust myself enough to go for something out of the ordinary, as cases can be hard to get, yet if you can re-form a popular case like .357 mag, you'll never have issues getting brass.

Yes to annealing , If you want 357 cases, pop down to SPIC on a Sunday morning, take as much 357 brass as you want... And 9mm and 357 Sig... Making the trigger mechanism for the Bullpup Martini is pretty easy, the Stock takes a bit in timber, I'm going to machine a stock from Aluminium on the next one..

Tazza
05-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Never been to SPIC, a mad made was a member down there i believe, his uncle was a member there so it was easier for him to start out, he has since transferred to up here, as he lives up here.

OOH, an aluminium stock would be very interesting, i'd like to see that, I sure hope you have a CNC mill for that, free hand would take quite a while, i sure hope you share pics of it when you do, i do like seeing what people end up with after turning a big piece of metal into a smaller piece.

M.A.D
05-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Im doing another batch of Omark/Sportco 44 stocks soon , As soon as I'm finished those, I will work out A Bullpup Aluminum Martini stock.. I love the Martinis, Great little rifle.. I love Bullpups too....

Actually prototyping on a manual mill/Lathe is easier, but yeah, when you want to crank out a few, CNC is king...

I cant wait to make a copy of that barrel, but in 1-10 twist and see how that goes in my 2011 in Supercomp

Tazza
05-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Im doing another batch of Omark/Sportco 44 stocks soon , As soon as I'm finished those, I will work out A Bullpup Aluminum Martini stock.. I love the Martinis, Great little rifle.. I love Bullpups too....

Actually prototyping on a manual mill/Lathe is easier, but yeah, when you want to crank out a few, CNC is king...

I cant wait to make a copy of that barrel, but in 1-10 twist and see how that goes in my 2011 in Supercomp

Sadly, i haven't had the time to get into rifles, one day i hope to actually sit down and get something and tune it to be spot on, to be able to reach out and touch things at stupid distances. A mad mate got a neglected rifle that couldn't shoot for dog poop, he spent some time tuning it and he could then consistently hit the 12" metal plate at 500m.

The schuemann barrel was deadly accurate out to 200m on our pistol range. Pretty sure i didn't even need a hold over to knock the steel silhouette plates over. I always ran 125 conicals, it ran great. I can't remember if the faster twist was better for heavier projectiles or not. The one i have is a 1:32, so a fairly slow twist. Some go as fast as 1:16"

Stephen Cohen
05-08-2019, 12:39 AM
Tazza get an Omark mod 44 and you can touch things at crazy distances all day for cheap, mine shoots 1/2 moa all day. As a young lad I shot big bore in my home town and was nominated to shoot in the 72 Olympics, but sickness put me in hospital instead. Regards Stephen

Tazza
05-08-2019, 01:41 AM
I may need to look at this when i get some free time

eljefeoz
05-08-2019, 01:58 AM
Talking of swaging and Hi-Tek, long dormant plan to Swage some projjies for .404 using .40 cal pistol cases, coat with Hi-Tek and see how they do. Can any of you flick me a dozen empties to 3809? Am happy to send across a 6 pack ;)

M.A.D
05-08-2019, 02:01 AM
I completely second a Omark 44 in 308, I think they are a truly underrated rifle... Allot of guy will tell you , you need a freakn RPA, Barnard etc to shoot fullbore and blow $3K just on a action.. Well, I've put mates onto $400 Omarks and they have shot plenty well out to 1km with the old iron sights..
If you really want to have a go at silly ranges, You can pop out to my property at Cecil Plains, I have a 1.2 km, 1.6 km and a 3.2 km range being built now. Or if you're feeling in a light hearted mood, You can shoot a Sharps out to 3.2 km... You know, Fire, we go make a cup of tea have some biscuits, and come back to look through the spotting scope with just enough time to see it hit a gong..

M.A.D
05-08-2019, 02:04 AM
Talking of swaging and Hi-Tek, long dormant plan to Swage some projjies for .404 using .40 cal pistol cases, coat with Hi-Tek and see how they do. Can any of you flick me a dozen empties to 3809? Am happy to send across a 6 pack ;)

We have no 40 cal on the pistol range.. That's incredibly naughty up here to even dream of such things.. Can send 44 mag or 45 acp cases. or a kajillion 9mm or 38 special, I could send some 357 Sig brass down to you????? Just open it up...

eljefeoz
05-08-2019, 03:59 AM
Hey that’s a great offer of tea and range.wish I was back in Hervey Bay. Bright sunny Mexico is a bit out of the way ... Thanks. I may take you up sometime. Pity about the .40-I have access to all the other calibers you mentioned. So a SIG is a .40 necked down to 0.357”? Sorry but my handgun caliber knowledge is kind of limited to more of the older ones. :(

M.A.D
05-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Yep, Sig is 40 S&W necked down, Guess all you would have to do is neck up. draw the case, seat your cores and point form.. Let me know if you want some sig brass

Ausglock
05-08-2019, 06:20 AM
How many 40 cases you want? I have bucketloads..
MAD.. how many 9mm you want to offload??

Tazza
05-08-2019, 06:23 AM
That is some awesome ranges you have in progress M.A.D, i think my new house needs more land :) 2.75 acres may not be quite enough.....

I was gonna say, i have a bottle of .40s, coppers shoot at my range, so there are always .40 cal cases

M.A.D
05-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Nah, 2.75 acres is all good for 375 Cheytac... If you want to head out my property, just let me know, I have 4000 acres freehold in the middle of 73,000 acres of State Forest..

M.A.D
05-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Do you want me to collect you a 20 lt bucket?

Petander
05-08-2019, 06:58 AM
If you really want to have a go at silly ranges, You can pop out to my property at Cecil Plains, I have a 1.2 km, 1.6 km and a 3.2 km range being built now.

Will you adopt me?

I used to go silly with 338 Lapua Mag but getting to long ranges is so much driving here,it became like another job. So I sold it and settled down on 300 WM and 300-600 meters. I have a mad 5 kJ load with Woodleigh 200 Weldcore / N570 that prints 1" @ 300 meters on a good day. That's my most accurate hunting load ever, with a stock Tikka T3 Tactical.

With match bullets like 220 Scenar-L / N165 you can hit clays @ 600 meters with it.

Okay,back to coating,I just took a look here while my 45 ACP:s are drying.

On the other hand,I have a 100 m range within a few minutes. Can't have it all.

Stephen Cohen
05-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Hey that’s a great offer of tea and range.wish I was back in Hervey Bay. Bright sunny Mexico is a bit out of the way ... Thanks. I may take you up sometime. Pity about the .40-I have access to all the other calibers you mentioned. So a SIG is a .40 necked down to 0.357”? Sorry but my handgun caliber knowledge is kind of limited to more of the older ones. :(

I have plenty of 40SW shells, Police shoot at our range and leave a lot of brass on the ground, I have formed a few into 320gr projectiles for a mates 404 as proof of concept. I don't see why you need to coat them with Hi-Tek other than you can. Regards Stephen

Petander
05-08-2019, 03:56 PM
I got my 45 ACP dummies figured out and plunked, BHN 8.

I didn't find my proper expanders,it's been a while. To my surprise flaring with Lee Universal worked good enough, 452 does get swaged to 4515 far at the base but coating is intact when I hammer pull them. Being soft alloy,this may even work.

I didn't slug the barrel because I only have 452 sizers for now. These H&G 185 grainers drop 454 so I have future options if needed.

Hi-Tek TMG Gold sticks and bonds extremely well.

Here Aqualube is drying:

Tazza
05-08-2019, 04:12 PM
At 8bhn, out of a slow moving .45, i see no issues.

You don't have issues squeezing them down .002"? seems like a lot, but at 8bhn, it would be a lot easier. The ones i have needed to squeeze down a lot, i get extrusion at the base.

Petander
05-08-2019, 04:42 PM
At 8bhn, out of a slow moving .45, i see no issues.

You don't have issues squeezing them down .002"? seems like a lot, but at 8bhn, it would be a lot easier. The ones i have needed to squeeze down a lot, i get extrusion at the base.

No problems. Hi-Tek Aqualube helps here,I'm pushing them through a polished Lee die as usual.

M.A.D
05-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Will you adopt me?

I used to go silly with 338 Lapua Mag but getting to long ranges is so much driving here,it became like another job. So I sold it and settled down on 300 WM and 300-600 meters. I have a mad 5 kJ load with Woodleigh 200 Weldcore / N570 that prints 1" @ 300 meters on a good day. That's my most accurate hunting load ever, with a stock Tikka T3 Tactical.

With match bullets like 220 Scenar-L / N165 you can hit clays @ 600 meters with it.

Okay,back to coating,I just took a look here while my 45 ACP:s are drying.

On the other hand,I have a 100 m range within a few minutes. Can't have it all.

Sure, lets do a cross country adoption agency.. I'm actually eyeing off land in Finland

Tazza
05-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Sure, lets do a cross country adoption agency.. I'm actually eyeing off land in Finland

I'll be in on that :)

Ausglock
05-08-2019, 10:06 PM
MAD.. a 20lt bucket of 9mm cases would be good...

eljefeoz
05-09-2019, 04:10 AM
Trev a couple of dozen to ‘speriment with. Thanks. I’ll PM you

eljefeoz
05-09-2019, 04:15 AM
I have plenty of 40SW shells, Police shoot at our range and leave a lot of brass on the ground, I have formed a few into 320gr projectiles for a mates 404 as proof of concept. I don't see why you need to coat them with Hi-Tek other than you can. Regards Stephen
Thanks Steve. Nice to know you’ve had a play with .404. And I don’t mind a couple of dozen from you. If you have a formed projjie for the .404, would be fantastic. Why coat with Hi-Tek? Become a habit I coat everything ;) have some RCBS o.285” baking with gunmetal just now.

eljefeoz
05-09-2019, 04:21 AM
That is some awesome ranges you have in progress M.A.D, i think my new house needs more land :) 2.75 acres may not be quite enough.....

I was gonna say, i have a bottle of .40s, coppers shoot at my range, so there are always .40 cal cases

Thanks Mate, I’ll raid your bottle if I get my act right with the Mk1 experimental run !

Ausglock
05-09-2019, 04:28 AM
Trev a couple of dozen to ‘speriment with. Thanks. I’ll PM you

No worries... You want Brass only or a few Nickel as well??

M.A.D
05-09-2019, 05:08 AM
MAD.. a 20lt bucket of 9mm cases would be good...

Ok, Will start collecting, Since its coming towards the end of the year, We will be flat out 7 days a week with everyone getting their shoots up. Wont take long to collect a 20 for you...

Tazza
05-09-2019, 06:38 AM
Thanks Mate, I’ll raid your bottle if I get my act right with the Mk1 experimental run !

Not an issue, i'll sit them a side, if it works, i can possibly wrangle up more for you too.

Tazza
05-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Ok, Will start collecting, Since its coming towards the end of the year, We will be flat out 7 days a week with everyone getting their shoots up. Wont take long to collect a 20 for you...

We get the exact same situation at my club, heading to July,you see people you haven't seen for 12 months!

Petander
05-09-2019, 12:03 PM
H&G #130, 185 grain SWC. BHN 8 @ 1000fps. Soft,wet berm. Hi-Tek TMG Gold.

I was shooting clays @ 25 m, you can see some orange pieces stuck in the bullets, indicating that I actually hit clays.

http://i65.tinypic.com/34pfert.jpg

Tazza
05-09-2019, 04:49 PM
H&G #130, 185 grain SWC. BHN 8 @ 1000fps. Soft,wet berm. Hi-Tek TMG Gold.

I was shooting clays @ 25 m, you can see some orange pieces stuck in the bullets, indicating that I actually hit clays.

http://i65.tinypic.com/34pfert.jpg

I bet you just sprinkled the clay dust on them :)

From the shape of the recovered projectiles, they sure were moving and hit hard, no leading? (not that i'd expect any)

kevin c
05-10-2019, 02:13 AM
Stationary, hanging clays at 25m? With a pistol? Hard.

Thrown clays at 25m? With a pistol? VERY hard.

M.A.D
05-10-2019, 05:36 AM
Out of curiosity for you 9mm/38 Super shooters, whats the IDEAL diameter of the lead projectile dropped from the mold for Hi Tek coating?

Ausglock
05-10-2019, 06:08 AM
Out of curiosity for you 9mm/38 Super shooters, whats the IDEAL diameter of the lead projectile dropped from the mold for Hi Tek coating?

.359 to .360

Petander
05-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Stationary, hanging clays at 25m? With a pistol? Hard.

Thrown clays at 25m? With a pistol? VERY hard.

Not thrown. :)

Just clays laying on the berm. Not hard with a good load.

M.A.D
05-10-2019, 06:51 AM
.359 to .360

Seriously? Then what do you size it too after you have coated it?

Tazza
05-10-2019, 06:52 AM
I size to .357 works great for me

Petander
05-10-2019, 06:58 AM
I bet you just sprinkled the clay dust on them :)

From the shape of the recovered projectiles, they sure were moving and hit hard, no leading? (not that i'd expect any).

No leading, even though I'm svaging the bases a little. Takes a while to get expanders from overseas. I've never tried this soft alloy before,except shotgun slugs.

About svaging, I loaded some unsized 454's, they plunk fine with the same 472 crimp setting. To my surprise, pulled 454's look just fine, no base damage whatsoever -and they get svaged to perfect 452. I didn't think Lee Universal "expander" would work this good.

Ausglock
05-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Seriously? Then what do you size it too after you have coated it?

anything from .356 to .358

Petander
05-11-2019, 06:58 AM
I've been test driving this STI for a few days now.

I took it straight to the range with a few boxes of factory FMJ:s,all good,or should I say great. I then decided to clean the copper out with Eliminator before trying my Hi-Tek ammo. Well,to my surprise there was LEAD,too. Most probably from Magtech SWC ammo that the vendor sells,very few people cast pistol bullets up here where I live. The lead had been there before my few FMJ boxes.

So much for "shoot the lead out" that I still see recommended around... But hey,no problem,enter "The Dip":

Plug the barrel:

Carefully fill the barrel with The Dip and watch it bubble:

After two minutes,pour The Dip away and push the residue out:

For STAINLESS barrels only. And yes,you get lead acetate which is bad stuff,use common sense. My Dip is very strong, using 50/50 strong household vinegar / 30% hydrogen peroxide. If you fill a cup with The Dip and drop a boolit in, the boolit bubbles away and completely disappears in a few minutes.

The Dip is very handy for lead disasters like this.

hunter74
05-11-2019, 02:13 PM
I'm very impressed with the Hi-Tek coating. I sold some boolits to a couple of IPSIC guys who wanted a good boolit for their 9mm Major Open guns. To get to power factor in Major with a 125 gr lead boolit you have to load hard and make them fast. The PF is 175.

At last weekends matched he chronoed his load to right above 1400 fts. He swore it was no leading in the barrel nor the comp. This is impressive to me since this actually is "gas check territory".

Just thought I should share this because this is to me a true test of how though this Hi-Tek coating is! For the record, it was Gold 1035 with two coates baked at 12 minutes at 200 C. The boolit was Magma 125 gr TC sized at 357"

Petander
05-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Hunter74, I have shot hundreds of RCBS 45-325-FN:s @1900 fps with a 45-70 Marlin. Flat base. No GC. My main plinker load, I do timed practise etc... It's a stainless gun but I never needed "The Dip". When alloy and size are right,Hi-Tek can be used with quite a bit of velocity/pressure.

I got the STI sights adjusted today. Fired one box Hi-Tek TMG Golds during zeroing, I saved this one round for a picture. I took the pic at a bench,75 m from the berm.

I then loaded the round,aimed at a fist size rock on the 75 m berm - and missed the rock by two inches, hitting right above it. Considering I already fired 49, BHN 8, loaded them unsized 454 without proper expander,only flaring... this is just great.

Ausglock
05-11-2019, 05:51 PM
I'm very impressed with the Hi-Tek coating. I sold some boolits to a couple of IPSIC guys who wanted a good boolit for their 9mm Major Open guns. To get to power factor in Major with a 125 gr lead boolit you have to load hard and make them fast. The PF is 175.

At last weekends matched he chronoed his load to right above 1400 fts. He swore it was no leading in the barrel nor the comp. This is impressive to me since this actually is "gas check territory".

Just thought I should share this because this is to me a true test of how though this Hi-Tek coating is! For the record, it was Gold 1035 with two coates baked at 12 minutes at 200 C. The boolit was Magma 125 gr TC sized at 357"

YOu might want to let your mate know that IPSC Open Division is now minimum of 160 Power factor for Major. I run a 125gn SWC at 168 P/F in my 38 Super STI TruBor. 9mm Major is starting to make a come back here in OZ. A few BUL open guns are now running 9 Major.

hunter74
05-12-2019, 12:53 AM
I'm sure that I'm the one's wrong about the PF.... Anyway.... they are well above and he's happy about the boolits. They were cast from 2sn5sb93pb alloy and I'm guessing that the time in the owen to cure the coating, does a fair share of heat treating as well. In antimonny rich alloys, could this also add beneficial factors to the alloy itself?

SpotHound
05-12-2019, 08:18 AM
My bullets with candy apple are passing the acetone wipe test every time, but fail the smash test every time. Thinking of changing to MEK next batch to see
if its the solvents fault. Currently using Bunnings acetone.

Ausglock
05-12-2019, 05:14 PM
My bullets with candy apple are passing the acetone wipe test every time, but fail the smash test every time. Thinking of changing to MEK next batch to see

What alloy?
Diggers acetone is fine. Just keep the lid tight.
Applying too much per coat?
Not letting it "Dry" before baking.

eljefeoz
05-12-2019, 07:27 PM

spothound, when you say fail the smash test, what exactly is happening? Is the coating coming off in big flakes?
The boxes to tick are:
Thinner solution 20 grams in 125ml Bunnings acetone. Those 250 ml bottles are just right for the Hi-Tek mix and I’ve been using them for about 4 years now. Empty out half acetone and mix the epoxy in the remaining.
Let this mix stand for a minimum of one hour before use.
Shake the solution for a minimum of 3 min
Less is more- 1 ml per lot of 50 handgun Bullets. Stop swirling in 10!sec and look at the book it’s. if they’re dry and appear thickly coated, add another ml or two of acetone and swirl for a further 10 sec.
drying time - I pour the coated Bullets into a tray on top of the hot oven- make sure a few drops of coating solution are left over , and pours into this drying tray. If your pills come out of the swirling jar all coated and dry and no excess solution, coating may be too thick. I leave them on the hot oven until HOT to touch, and the beginning of the colour is seen.
Oven temperature- my 2nd hand 10 buck toaster oven grill runs a max of 230*C empty. I keep it booted up there while pills are drying in the tray on top.
Open door and pop in Boolit tray and start timer. You’ll see the temp drop as the boolits start absorbing heat.
Temp will stop dropping-once it stabilises, move it up if necessary, to make sure it’s at 200*C.
Depending on quantity to Bullets in the tray, play around with the time, increase by a couple of minutes. Time - anywhere between 8-12 min. If you over cook them, they only darken.
Try with 25 or even 10and see how your local humidity and temperatures affect overall process.
I’m currently coating in a shed where it’s 6-7 *C and rain is off and on. So I prolong the drying time to drive out the water from the acetone it needs to come out by heating/ drying.
Eyeball check- you’ll probably see the actual shade forming in the last 2-3 min of the bake - and boolits should look shiny. Which means you’ve got the dilution and coating correct. A rough finished , dull pill means many things: thick coating , not bonded enough to the lead etc.

I sometimes get splotchy , leprous looking pills after the first coat, a second coat covers the blemishes and they pass the acetone rub and smash test.
Good luck.

M.A.D
05-12-2019, 09:37 PM
So this weeks mission is to ream out my Lee Tumble Lube Mold so it drops the lead at 0.357......

eljefeoz
05-12-2019, 09:50 PM
MAD. How do the TL moulds do with Hi-Tek? I have some 0.45” TL boolits to coat for a mate

Ausglock
05-12-2019, 10:52 PM
MAD. How do the TL moulds do with Hi-Tek? I have some 0.45” TL boolits to coat for a mate

Bloody horrible...

eljefeoz
05-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Thanks, Trev. May as well give them a miss...

M.A.D
05-13-2019, 01:13 AM

No Idea, I havnt done the coating yet.... Still sorting out my drying trays, bullet spacers, Baking trays and now reaming out my Lee TL mold... Guess it wont be a TL mold after i have reamed it... It was a ****ty mold anyway, bullets dropped at 0.3555-0.3560 with my alloy and neither my Para or 2011 likes them...

Tazza
05-13-2019, 06:27 AM
No Idea, I havnt done the coating yet.... Still sorting out my drying trays, bullet spacers, Baking trays and now reaming out my Lee TL mold... Guess it wont be a TL mold after i have reamed it... It was a ****ty mold anyway, bullets dropped at 0.3555-0.3560 with my alloy and neither my Para or 2011 likes them...
Wonder if a few more coats would have helped make it fit the barrel better

M.A.D
05-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Ive never done coating before, only run through a rcbs lubsizer to lube it.. Hope to do a mass casting exercise next week, then give them their first coating... If i get the mold to drop at 357 then coat, then size to 357, Im hoping my guns will like it..

eljefeoz
05-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Yup. I have about 400 x 370 gr for the .404 stashed away. Done about 4-5 years ago. Maybe check hardness and see how they do with Texas tea and gunmetal and resurrect the lubrisizer this weekend.

eljefeoz
05-13-2019, 08:45 AM
I've been test driving this STI for a few days now.

I took it straight to the range with a few boxes of factory FMJ:s,all good,or should I say great. I then decided to clean the copper out with Eliminator before trying my Hi-Tek ammo. Well,to my surprise there was LEAD,too. Most probably from Magtech SWC ammo that the vendor sells,very few people cast pistol bullets up here where I live. The lead had been there before my few FMJ boxes.

So much for "shoot the lead out" that I still see recommended around... But hey,no problem,enter "The Dip":

Plug the barrel:

Carefully fill the barrel with The Dip and watch it bubble:

After two minutes,pour The Dip away and push the residue out:

For STAINLESS barrels only. And yes,you get lead acetate which is bad stuff,use common sense. My Dip is very strong, using 50/50 strong household vinegar / 30% hydrogen peroxide. If you fill a cup with The Dip and drop a boolit in, the boolit bubbles away and completely disappears in a few minutes.

The Dip is very handy for lead disasters like this.
Thanks for that info Petander.
I thought you’ll strip the barrel out and give it the dip! I wouldn’t want the vinegar to hit the bluing on my rifles. I give them the brass brush and Ed’s Red if I see / suspect leading.
Seems to be a thing of the past now , with Hi-Tek.

Petander
05-13-2019, 01:23 PM
No need to strip,I use pipettes to drop The Dip in.

Care must be taken,and stainless only.

I tried Girl Loads today and to my surprise Trojan worked with 820 fps / 185 grains absolutely problem free. No lighter spring needed.

Tazza
05-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Ive never done coating before, only run through a rcbs lubsizer to lube it.. Hope to do a mass casting exercise next week, then give them their first coating... If i get the mold to drop at 357 then coat, then size to 357, Im hoping my guns will like it..

I'm sure you'll be fine, hi-tek is quite easy to apply. The biggest thing to watch is drying of the initial coat, as it's cooling off for us, and we have had some wet weather up here, you may want to gently warm them to ensure they are fully dry before baking.

My old coating was applied by dip/spin. Get a basket of projectiles, dunk in a bucket of coating, lift and spin the excess off then drop out on a piece of laminated MDF (melamine?) to dry. I now use the same drying board for Hi-Tek without issues, same oven temperature and trays. Some use perforated trays to get more air around them, i haven't found any issues with just a sheet of melamine for a drying rack. Over time you get coating building up on the board, acetone and a rag cleans that up.

dansedgli
05-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Was someone on here chasing a schuemann barrel in oz?

Tazza
05-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Was someone on here chasing a schuemann barrel in oz?

That was me, M.A.D was seeing what he could do to get me one.

The fact it says the locking lucgs aren't as sharp as they should be would make me a little concerned, if they aren't just right, will that cause wear where it locks up on the slide?

TonyN
05-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Ausglock

What size do you size your 9mm for your glocks at?

M.A.D
05-14-2019, 03:07 AM
That was me, M.A.D was seeing what he could do to get me one.

The fact it says the locking lucgs aren't as sharp as they should be would make me a little concerned, if they aren't just right, will that cause wear where it locks up on the slide?

What could possible go wrong with worn locking lugs in a 38 super pushing 125 grain Tc's @ 1350 fps

hunter74
05-14-2019, 04:46 AM
Does anyone have experience with full loads in 45-70 rifle without GC but with Hi-Tek coating?

It would be cool if this coating could replace Gas Checks? It's not funny to apply gas checks to several thousands of boolits!

Stephen Cohen
05-14-2019, 05:49 AM
Does anyone have experience with full loads in 45-70 rifle without GC but with Hi-Tek coating?

It would be cool if this coating could replace Gas Checks? It's not funny to apply gas checks to several thousands of boolits!

I cast for myself and a good mate, I do 300gr 350gr 405gr 460gr and two different 500gr in .460 all coated. I use them in my 458wm and mate uses them in 45/70, there is no leading if no gas check is used. I do however find they shoot a little better in my 458 if gas checked. I advise you to try a few and see how your rifle shoots them plain base, I am sure you will be pleased with the results. I think the fast twist of the 458 is why it prefers gas checks for best accuracy. Regards Stephen

Stephen Cohen
05-14-2019, 05:51 AM
I should also mention my brother shoots my plain base 320gr .452 in his 460SW magnum at near 2000fps with outstanding accuracy and no leading. Regards Stephen

Petander
05-14-2019, 05:58 AM

My favorite 45-70 plinker load is 325 RCBS @ 1900 fps, Hi-Tek TMG gold. Sized 4595, I use NOE 460 expander.

Shoots clean, I had instant success with Hi-Tek and a new Marlin last summer.

Tazza
05-14-2019, 06:07 AM
What could possible go wrong with worn locking lugs in a 38 super pushing 125 grain Tc's @ 1350 fps

The lugs looked pretty good actually, the edge wasn't sharp like a new one, but not really rounded. For $200, i figured it was worth it just for the comp, it came home with me. It doesn't fit my slide, as the threaded part was machined down a little further, so with the comp fitted, it doesn't sit quite deep enough. I may try and remove the comp so i can wind it back a turn or two to give clearance. Once i get my new one fitted, this one may become my fun play barrel, not sure for what just yet, but one that won't make me sad if something was to happen to it.

M.A.D
05-14-2019, 06:41 AM

If you're running a Rurer No 1 or 3, Try this mold http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/rifle/458-calibre/458-730gc-single-cavity I have a modified version, Less driving bands, more bore riding and no gas check, It has never failed me in 25 years

hunter74
05-14-2019, 06:52 AM
I'm producing one bullet in 405 gr and I'm running a comercial bullet company so it's tedious with a lot of gas checking.

Because of this it should work in many different rifles, mostly lever rifles. The bullets work great in many rifles with full hunting loads with GC. Similar performance wirh Hi-Tek and without the GC would be cool if achieved.

ioon44
05-14-2019, 08:24 AM
I have coated the Magma 405 gr bullet cast out of 6-2-92 alloy with Bronze 500 and they shot fine out of a .458 So com, no leading and at 100 yards shot 1 1/4 " groups.
I use the Bronze 500 for magnum loads with out a gas check.

Petander
05-14-2019, 11:58 AM
I have coated the Magma 405 gr bullet cast out of 6-2-92 alloy with Bronze 500 and they shot fine out of a .458 So com, no leading and at 100 yards shot 1 1/4 " groups.
I use the Bronze 500 for magnum loads with out a gas check.

I sold my 458 Socom.

Never got cast to work, I may try again with all stainless gun though. The barrel copper fouled with j-bullets incredibly bad, I tried lapping and firelapping,no help. It must have been chromed. J-bullet accuracy was great up to 20 rounds,then the copper buildup started to show. 350 Hornady was excellent.

458 Socom also feels "undergunned" to me because my Marlin 350 J-load has been 2150 fps for 15 years or so. Most 458 bullets don't open up in 458 Socom velocities,it's a fun plinker though.

Gremlin460
05-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Ausglock

What size is the Barrel you have? before he can answer that.
It has no bearing what size he casts for his glock. His barrel could be .003 +/- different than yours.

TonyN
05-14-2019, 08:14 PM
I shot some at .356 and .358 today and the .356 worked great. I was just wondering his size.

Thanks

Ausglock
05-15-2019, 03:56 AM
Ausglock

.3565"

SpotHound
05-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Northern smelters 2/6/92
very light
drying overnight

SpotHound
05-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Just made a batch with MEK, what a difference, the liquid does not flash dry almost instantly, plenty of time to swirl and the liquid seems thinner and more willing to smoothly flow over the entire bullets surface, can't wait for 12 hours to pass so I can bake.

Tazza
05-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Others have said MEK was faster to evaporate, i actually thought it would be faster, good to know.

No reason why you need to wait 12 hrs, as long as it's dry, it's good to go, warm them on top or in an oven to say 50c, you should be good to go. It dries really fast, i have baked after only a few hours air drying without any heat to aid in it for batches of 10-15,000

Ausglock
05-16-2019, 12:55 AM
MEK gives a longer swirl time. If you need longer with Acetone, add 10% Metho to your mix. this slows down the drying. Also.. Don't wait 12 hours. Just warm them with a fan heater or on top of the oven. I coat and bake within 20 minutes. I have a fan heater blowing over the trays of coated bullets before baking. They bullets are warm to the touch. That is all you need.

HI-TEK
05-16-2019, 04:08 AM
Others have said MEK was faster to evaporate, i actually thought it would be faster, good to know.

No reason why you need to wait 12 hrs, as long as it's dry, it's good to go, warm them on top or in an oven to say 50c, you should be good to go. It dries really fast, i have baked after only a few hours air drying without any heat to aid in it for batches of 10-15,000

TAZZA
It is obvious that your first coat is thin, dries quickly and more completely without requiring heat drying.
That is great.
However, you may be taking a risk, by thinking, that this will happen over and over, with weather conditions continuously changing.
It would be a shame to discover, that you will have to melt down 15,000 due to insufficient bonding.
It is better to be pro-active and no surprises.
As I have suggested many times, that baking a few first from a batch, to test dryness, is best option. If you get a few fail with baking, no big loss, but it will tell you if batch is dry or not adequately.

eljefeoz
05-16-2019, 04:39 AM
Just did a batch of 10 x 370 gr for the .404 with black. Plan to try em without checks. Coating is good and bases are completely covered. Usual load of 28 gr blue dot.

Petander
05-16-2019, 04:49 AM
Yep,heated drying is good. I dry ~30 min, bullets are 50°C then.

You can dilute the mix by adding a little alcohol to the bullets first,then swirl them so the look wet. Add Hi-Tek solution and swirl normally. Gives a longer time and thinner,even coat. I do 8 lbs batches, I add ~2 ml alcohol by feel using the bottle cap. Then 6ml of Hi-Tek.

I used to have both diluted and full strength bottles mixed ready to use but this works very well when you want slower evaporation / thinner coat. So I only have full strength bottles now. It became crowded with all the bottles...

T-Bird
05-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Will it suspend in pure ethyl alcohol? I added 25% to my acetone as suggested to slow drying when I first started using Hi Tek, have wondered about a higher percentage to slow it even further.

SpotHound
05-16-2019, 08:51 AM
MEK gives a longer swirl time. If you need longer with Acetone, add 10% Metho to your mix. this slows down the drying. Also.. Don't wait 12 hours. Just warm them with a fan heater or on top of the oven. I coat and bake within 20 minutes. I have a fan heater blowing over the trays of coated bullets before baking. They bullets are warm to the touch. That is all you need.

I only wait 12 hours, because everyone always busts my chops when the coating won't stick saying " you baked too early",
its just a way of being extra sure if you get my drift.

I tried metho, it seemed to make zero difference in drying time.

Petander
05-16-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm tweaking my baking oven a bit,summer is here.

Also invented TMG Brown.

SpotHound
05-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Well, changing to MEK was an unmitigated success.

The coating feels smooth, silky and stays on during the smash test.

Speaking of smash test, I hit the projectile side on with a hammer, the coating stays on that face and the edges but the under side on the concrete
chips off to some degree, is that a pass or fail?

Ausglock
05-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Pass.
I smash mine on a lump of rail line or a lead ingot.

dansedgli
05-17-2019, 12:41 AM
I wait 3 hrs + then put them on top of the oven while it heats up to be sure.

8000 rejects will do that to a man. :sad:

ioon44
05-17-2019, 08:34 AM
I put my trays of coated out in full sunshine and they reach 130 deg F (55 deg C) in 15 min to 20 min and always pass the smash test.

M.A.D
05-18-2019, 06:39 PM
What weekend are you heading up to the coast? I have about a 9 lt bucket of 9mm brass so far

Ausglock
05-19-2019, 04:23 AM
What weekend are you heading up to the coast? I have about a 9 lt bucket of 9mm brass so far

I'm Shooting the Ipswich 2 day IPSC match on june 8th and 9th. Driving through the GC on Friday the 7th.

M.A.D
05-20-2019, 07:09 PM
I'm Shooting the Ipswich 2 day IPSC match on june 8th and 9th. Driving through the GC on Friday the 7th.

What time Friday? I'm only at the range until 11am , And on Saturday/Sunday I'm there from 9-30 am till 6pm

Ausglock
05-20-2019, 10:50 PM
What time Friday? I'm only at the range until 11am , And on Saturday/Sunday I'm there from 9-30 am till 6pm

Not going through the GC until around 4pm Friday arvo.

M.A.D
05-21-2019, 03:29 AM
Not going through the GC until around 4pm Friday arvo.

What time are you leaving for home Sunday? could you make it to SIPC by 6pm?

TonyN
05-21-2019, 05:41 AM
My gun metal is a green color. It passes the acetone and smash test. What do you suggest I need to do to get right color? I bake at 400 10 min.
Kryptonite green is more of a green yellow.

Ausglock
05-21-2019, 07:54 AM
What time are you leaving for home Sunday? could you make it to SIPC by 6pm?

Possibly...It's about 1 1/2 hrs from Ippy to Ferry Road.
Will you be there on the Monday 10th??

pkchwy
05-23-2019, 03:38 AM
Does anyone here have any video or Photo's of commercial bullet casters using the Hi-Tek coating

Ausglock
05-23-2019, 04:30 AM
This is Me and My Mate, Tony.
We are Susan Island Bullets.
Based in Grafton NSW Australia.
Our bullets are used primarily by IPSC and ICORE shooters, With many Australian and World Champions using our Green Goodness.
We use Kryptonite Green Exclusivley in Australia.
https://i.imgur.com/KSTz9mX.jpg

M.A.D
05-23-2019, 06:26 AM
When i go to look up your page, i get 403 Forbidden Access to this resource on the server is denied

Petander
05-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Dang that Kryptonite Green looks good.

Zombie Green is still a bit mystery to me, different size bullets and different alloys behave quite a bit differently in my oven. Some other colours work all the same,no adjustments needed. I just find it hard to get nice green with Zombie green,so that it also passes wipe test.

Ausglock
05-23-2019, 07:03 AM
When i go to look up your page, i get 403 Forbidden Access to this resource on the server is denied

What??? The Facebook page??
https://www.facebook.com/susanislandbullets/

Petander
05-23-2019, 01:57 PM
TMG Gold and Zombie Green as baked today. ZG is sort of "zombieish" compared to TMG which is super even and elastic.

Ausglock
05-23-2019, 04:45 PM
HITEK now has a Blue.
It is a very dark Blue, Nice and shiny. check it out.
https://i.imgur.com/xIVLkxD.jpg

Burnt Fingers
05-23-2019, 05:02 PM
AWESOME! That's a great blue!

Now we need to get some here in the US.

I need to order some Hi-Tek powder but I'll wait and see if the blue makes it here!

Warhead
05-23-2019, 05:16 PM
HITEK now has a Blue.
It is a very dark Blue, Nice and shiny. check it out.
https://i.imgur.com/xIVLkxD.jpg

That is beautiful I need some.:-P

Ausglock
05-23-2019, 05:16 PM
This was 1 of the first 3 Blue samples tested.
There are around 14 other blue I have to test for him.
Also 5 pinks to test.
Watch this space..for updates.

Petander
05-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Congrats! Very,very nice blue.

Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yes!

M.A.D
05-25-2019, 04:58 AM
This was 1 of the first 3 Blue samples tested.
There are around 14 other blue I have to test for him.
Also 5 pinks to test.
Watch this space..for updates.

Theres 13kg of 9mm brass so far..

Tazza
05-25-2019, 06:34 AM
I'll pinch it from under his nose when i see you tomorrow :)

Now, if only i had a 9mm... my guns only like expensive .38 super comp....

Ausglock
05-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Yep. SC is a bit $$$$$$...I got 2K from Impact sports down Albury.
Seem to loose a fair few to the Brass Vultures.
The TruBor only like SC.
The Kimber likes Super.

Tazza
05-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Really is.... i should just get them tuned for super and be less poor. Or go 9mm, they just breed, i need a 9 just to use some up. I keep saying ill get one, sell my house and it may happen

Ausglock
05-25-2019, 07:27 AM
I just put a Vortex Venom on the G17A for PDOL Div.

Tazza
05-25-2019, 07:31 AM
I have one on.my sti executive, very nice

Ausglock
05-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Did you pickup that Shueman comped Barrel

Tazza
05-25-2019, 07:52 AM
I did indeed. M.a.d is still getting me a new one if all goes well though. The used one needs the comp backing off a turn to allow it to fit my slide. The odd think is who fitted it cut the barrel and not the comp to fit it. So i can't just put my comp on and skim it to fit, the slide would need cutting back.

If it's my play barrel, a gap there where i shim it won't matter

Burnt Fingers
05-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Yep. SC is a bit $$$$$$...I got 2K from Impact sports down Albury.
Seem to loose a fair few to the Brass Vultures.
The TruBor only like SC.
The Kimber likes Super.

Those brass vultures need their wings clipped or their fingers broken.

Tazza
05-25-2019, 05:39 PM
Those brass vultures need their wings clipped or their fingers broken.

At my club, i feel said vultures are mistaken when they get my sc. Most shoot 9mm but one or two supers or 9x23. With ipsc, they get lost in the grass too