PDA

View Full Version : Noobie questions???

customcutter
06-22-2013, 04:34 PM
OK, I found the site a couple of months ago. I've been hanging out in the swaging section and am getting started making my own dies for .224. Hopefully I'll get them done and move onto 9mm, 40, & .45acp. I've also started making molds to make cores. Bought 50lbs of roofing lead to start with and now I've got a HF Dutch Oven, a cast iron muffin pan and several plain steel muffin pans (no teflon coating). Also picked up a large steel spoon for removing dross, and a large ladle for transfering molten lead to the muffin pans. Already had the turkey fryer, I'll double check the stand for weight capacity before smelting.

The Dutch Oven and cast iron muffin pan are brand new, oiled, etc. Do I need to do anything to them to prepare them for smelting and molding lead? Will the oil on them create any problems? I don't want any explosions/fires from water/oil etc. I've seen one video where a caster threw a small candle in his molten lead to flux the dross, then used the smoke to prepare his mold. Do I need to season, smoke the Dutch Oven or molds? Picked up 100 small "tea" candles about 1" by 3/8", are they suitable for fluxing the lead? When you smoke your new molds, should they be black with soot, or is just a very light coating adequate?

I've tried reading all the stickies and watched several video's on youtube. However, please feel free to post links that could help out a newbie.

thanks in advance,
CC

theperfessor
06-22-2013, 04:53 PM
The oil on your Dutch Oven and muffin pans will vaporize when they get hot, don't see any problems there.

Sawdust works better for fluxing than any waxy junk.

Smoking a mold is unnecessary. If you do, at least don't use anything with a wax or oil base. But it is unnecessary.

customcutter
06-22-2013, 08:08 PM
thanks perfessor. Don't know where to get sawdust, but I guess I can substitute paint stir sticks.

CC

theperfessor
06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Are there any home repair places near you that sell wood products (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.)? If they cut any wood at all they probably will give you sawdust. Or a home repair contractor? Make a couple phone calls. Paint stir sticks are great for stirring to break loose the dirt and crud that sticks to the side of your pot. Just be sure that ANYTHING that will end up underneath the melt is dry. This includes stir sticks and the stuff you're rendering. Truth be told almost any organic (carbon containing) material will work, from dried leaves to grass clippings, but IMHO sawdust works the best.

And wear adequate safety gear.

customcutter
06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Perfessor,

Thanks for the safety reminder. I read a post earlier this evening that is several years old about a fellow that got a real bad burn. He was thankful that the incident didn't happen a couple of minutes earlier when his wife and 1 year old son were in the area. IMHO it should be a sticky if it isn't. I intend to have full safety gear on, and am concerned about inadvertently introducing moisture into the mix. I know some of the pressure treated lumber I've bought in the past couldn't have held another drop of water. I guess you keep introducing flux(carbon) as long as you are getting impurities out of the lead?

thanks,
CC

wv109323
06-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Keep fluxing until you get all the impurities out. Try to stir the flux down in the lead. It helps. That is why a paint stirring stick is good.

shadowcaster
06-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Wax is NOT a flux.. it is a reducer. Use sawdust for flux. Go to Walmart in the pet section and they will have pine pet bedding for cheap. It works excellent for flux and goes a long ways. I agree with theperfessor.. no need to smoke the molds and proper safety gear is a must.

Shad

Nickle
06-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I've yet to smoke a mold, and I started casting in the 60's. Not near as much as some here, but enough to know if you need to smoke the mold, something else is wrong with it.

And, yeah, you do need the protective gear. Gloves are a must. You might get by for years before a touch of water gets into your alloy. Then you'll wish you had worn gloves. BTDT, condensation on a few wheel weights when smelting them. Still got the scar.

ErikO
06-23-2013, 01:39 AM
As a fellow newbie to casting, I'm getting my safety gear together before I get the LP burner so I will be ready when the tinsel fairy strikes.

Don't skimp. Castle defenders used molten lead for a reason.

mroliver77
06-23-2013, 02:50 AM
If you always preheat anything that goes into your pot you will be fine.
You can pour water onto molten lead without getting an explosion. It is when moisture is carried below the surface that explosions happen.

I use sawdust for flux but sometimes add wax along with it for stubborn alloy.

customcutter
06-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Everyone, thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought about the pet bedding. If the wax is considered a reducer, what does it do? I normally think of a reducer as something that is "thinning" something else out as in a paint reducer.

BTW, the lead that I got was roofing lead, and only one piece out of probably 20 had a little bit of tar on it.:D

thanks,
CC

Wayne Smith
06-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Perfessor, I would not recommend Lowes or Home Depot as sources. They cut way too much pressure treated wood. I would look for a local cabinet maker, kitchen designer, etc. They will have the good stuff.

theperfessor
06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Wayne, you're right, I never thought about that aspect. I get mine from the Art Dept. woodshop here at the University, they cut hardwood and pine but no pressure treated stuff.

Thanks for pointing that out, wouldn't want to see someone have problems from the smoke.

ph4570
06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Chicken bedding (wood shavings) works well for flux. If you have a feed store near you a few bucks will get you a good supply.

Bullshop
06-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Chicken bedding (wood shavings) works well for flux. If you have a feed store near you a few bucks will get you a good supply.
Best if used before the chickens rather than after.

el34
06-25-2013, 09:10 PM
I use the hamster litter pine shavings for flux. It's at Walmart, $2.57, about a 5gal bucket full when you open it-

I use a chunk of paraffin for the reduction I've read about but still don't understand. The pine chips are great at cleaning the lead, I use a slotted spatula to force it downward far below the surface.

customcutter
06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Best if used before the chickens rather than after.

I guess when you get good advice, you shouldn't ask how they know.:grin:

CC

customcutter
06-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I use the hamster litter pine shavings for flux. It's at Walmart, $2.57, about a 5gal bucket full when you open it-

I use a chunk of paraffin for the reduction I've read about but still don't understand. The pine chips are great at cleaning the lead, I use a slotted spatula to force it downward far below the surface.

I guess I'm going to have to do a search and find out exactly what "reduction" or "reducing" is when talking about adding parrafin to lead?

thanks,
CC

vvet762
06-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Hey Guys, I have yet to reload (still gathering equipment) but I woodwork as a hobby. I buy the lumber rough sawn and have to send it through my planer. The point is that I get a TON of clean wood shavings each time I make a piece of furniture. Easily 5 gallons at a time that I just throw away. So, try to locate a woodworker for free shavings.

NewbieDave007
07-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I guess I'm going to have to do a search and find out exactly what "reduction" or "reducing" is when talking about adding parrafin to lead?

thanks,
CC

If you haven't already, look at the PDF at the link below.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

customcutter
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
If you haven't already, look at the PDF at the link below.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Thanks, I just added that to my favorites as a resource.

CC

NewbieDave007
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks, I just added that to my favorites as a resource.

CC

Add this to the list. In fact, I would spend the $5 and get the CD from it.

http://www.lasc.us/indexBrennan.htm

customcutter
07-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks again, lots of info there also.

CC

NewbieDave007
07-04-2013, 04:19 PM
No worries. Good luck.