PDA

View Full Version : new smelting tools and propane tank pot

40-82 hiker
06-22-2013, 10:08 AM
I would like to share a project of a couple of months ago.

note: I am adding this after the fact. My first post with images, and need to figure out image size. I just discovered we can click on the image to enlarge it, and then click on that image to enlarge it again.

I recently started molding again after a hiatus of 40 years (ARGH!) and needed some equipment to smelt the lead I have accumulated recently. I already had a high pressure burner from a grill/smoker, so I was well on my way. I looked at castboolits and saw the use of propane tanks to make smelting pots (much thanks to those folks), so I made one. I reshaped a horseshoe and welded it onto the back side for a handle, and welded the spout on so it is out at a 45 degree angle to facilitate easy pouring when pouring out the last few pounds of lead.

Here is a close image of the spout.

I then had to design some tools, so here I thought I would design some ergonomic tools for my use, as I have a bad back/pelvis/hip to concern myself with, and I did not want to have to stand directly over the lead pot as well. So I used the top side of the propane tank to cut a stirring/straining spoon out of it. I used 3/8 inch square rod and the "propane tank spoon" on one end, and a slag hammer handle on the other. Here is a photo of the spoon I made, along with the dimensions of it.

Here is a photo showing the angle of the spoon. I had to experiment with the angle of the spoon, and this angle allows me to stand upright and back from the smelting pot when reducing/fluxing/straining.

Not knowing exactly the size of the straining spoon at the time, I just rough cut a piece out of top of the propane tank and shaped and sized it on the fly until I was pleased with it. I cut the handle of the tank off first to get it out of the way.. Using the top of the tank gave me a concave spoon to start with, though I enhanced the dishing of the spoon a little before I drilled the somewhat random holes in it. Here is a photo of the tank where I rough cut the spoon.

My next tool needed was a ladle, so I cut the bottom off of a plumber's propane torch canister (the valve was open and had been sitting behind the house for months-I safely vented it for some time as well before cutting) and butt welded it to a similar assembly as the spoon. The spout is from 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron.

In this photo you can see the ladle in the bottom of the pot, showing how the angle allows the user to stand up and back.

The finished set...

BTW, the contraption on the wood shelf is just some large rod and 3/8" square rod I used to make a holder to secure my muffin pan ingot mold while filling and cooling. The cups on the bottom of the pan span the round rods, securing the pan amazingly well. They also hold the pan up off of its bottom, allowing cooling air to circulate over the bottoms of the cups.

It is obvious in the photos I have been using this stuff, and it all works to my satisfaction. However, I would have to say that the ladle is a two-handed tool when full of lead. It is easily manageable, but two hands are needed if filled. The ladle also does an amazing job at emptying the pot nearly completely. I have very little melted lead that cannot be scooped out. I would estimate only a few pounds are left in the tank that needs to be poured out.

It was a good project.

This is my first big post, so I am hoping this comes out right when I see it in its finished form.

Bob

Bzcraig
06-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Very nice, should make smelting/reducing pretty easy indeed!

40-82 hiker
06-22-2013, 10:15 AM
For those such as myself who are not knowledgeable in such things, we can click on the images to see a larger image, and then click again on that larger image to enlarge it one more time. Just discovered that...

detox
06-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice clean work on the spout. A wire handle from 5 gal paint bucket really makes pouring easier. I usually have about 7 lbs in bottom when i stop scooping and then have to pour from pot.

What type of lead alloy did you smelt?

jm423
06-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Very nice work (and design!) And by golly I learned how to enlarge images. Now I know what to do with a non-returnable freon tank that's been sitting around.

40-82 hiker
06-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Nice clean work on the spout. A wire handle from 5 gal paint bucket really makes pouring easier. I usually have about 7 lbs in bottom when i stop scooping and then have to pour from pot.

What type of lead alloy did you smelt?

Wheel weights and pure lead. I need to make more ingots, but my back has been too on the fritz to do so for many weeks.

I'll have to add a wire handle as you suggest. With the horseshoe on the back side to add stability, that should work quite well.

wrench
06-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Love the horseshoe handle, and the slag hammer handles. Great idea.