PDA

View Full Version : Kind of quiet out there..........

The Dust Collector
09-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Come on guys ! I thought that this thread was going to be the latest and greatest.
Doesn't anyone have anything to chyme in with ? I cann't believe that this has become
such a quiet place.
If I need to I'm going rattle on with what I'm doing and have done.
Maybe I don't have anything to better do than write a book ( which I have been doing )
for no better reason than that I am an old man, my sons aren't interested as I am in
my sport, and documented daily ocurrances are few and far between.
My Father and my Grandfather were very knowledgable men, but when they died, for
the most part , what they had between thier ears died with them. To busy to mind to
the little things such as taking time to pass thier intellect on to others. Such as myself,
and I consider it an eternal loss.
I have worked very hard to solve the problems that I have run into. I am also sure that
others successes and failures are note worthy as well .
As I have stated in other threads, I have been self taught. The results that I am
experiencing are a reward to my efforts.
I am not a mind reader, And have no idea where anyone stands as far as thier personal
goals.
Any thoughts out there ? Or would l to hear me rattle on ?

DUST

45nut
09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Join us in chat if you like.. we discuss all topics there

pdawg_shooter
09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Guess there ain't that many of us out here. It is a little labor intensive to paper patch all those boolets. People seem to want to fight leading, low velocity, and accuracy problems instead. If they would take the time to try a few patched rounds and find out how easy it is to get performance equal to jacketed, there would be a lot more of us! Heck, I would be willing to give a fellow (or gal) a few boolets to try if they wanted.

castshooter-too
09-28-2007, 08:48 AM
I'll bite;

How about paperpatching in the 6.5 calibers?
Is this a pipe dream?
Too small a caliber?
Maybe a good alternative to gaschecks.

BRUCE

45 2.1
09-28-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll bite;
How about paperpatching in the 6.5 calibers?
Is this a pipe dream?
Too small a caliber?
Maybe a good alternative to gaschecks.
BRUCE

No problem at all. Find you a good plain base 25-20 or 25/35 mold. Cast up a bunch at about 8 BHN and patch them as is with 9 Lb. onionskin or airmail paper that is 0.002" thick. This will give about the proper size for the 6.5mm throats. Flair the case well, you don't want the patch to tear after its done and lubricated. Seat so the the patched boolit doesn't jump into the rifling. Fine accuracy, expansion and velocity are obtainable this way.

pdawg_shooter
09-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Any size can be patched, although I have found smaller than 30cal to be a real pain in the butt. Fat fingers I guess. I have patched some 100gr .257 sized to .251 than patched with 16 lb green bar computer paper but I would prefer to stay with bigger boolets. My 30 cal (Lyman 311466) cast of 50/50 WW and Lino have been pushed a little over 3300 in a RUM with 1" groups at 100 yards. Great on coyotes. My 45-70 and my .458 have never seen a jacketed bullet and probably never will. A 30-1 mix can be pushed 2200 with good accuracy, and a 430gr PP at 1865 will handle anything Im likely to see in western Kansas for sure.

JCherry
09-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Dust Collector,

I must agree with you. I had hoped to do more w/paper patches but got side tracked on some other things.

I'll get back to them shortly and log in my results. My expectations are high that they will be pretty good.

Any chance of some photos of Dust Collectors and pdawg_shooters .30 cal paper patch bullets.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Bob B
09-29-2007, 09:49 AM
I use the rcbs 30-180sp bullet first sized 308 in lee push through die then patched with 9lb.onion skin paper then sized and lubed with alox in .312 lyman die for midrange shootingin my 308 and30-40 #3Ruger.My problem seems to be finding paper.I purchased the last box [500]sheets of onionskin paper Dickson office supply had and was told that 9lb onion paper had not been made in 5 years.I have a few sheets of 20lb 25% cotton fiber paper but can not find any 16lb paper.It would help if you could list the companies that make paper suitable for patching bullets.thanks Bob B

EDK
09-29-2007, 06:44 PM
It was miserably hot to shoot most of the summer and now it's getting dark too early!

BUT I am still researching for my paper patch mould for the Big 50 SHILOH SHARPS. I got some boolits at the QUIGLEY shoot, but they are 510 patched and I am thinking more on the line of 498 patched. I've been reading Randolph Wright and Orville Loomer's books and have a few ideas so far. Mr. Bryan, owner of SHILOH SHARPS, had a mould made duplicating 1870-1880 factory paper patch ammo that belonged to L.A. Huffman. There were a group of SHILOH web site regulars at the Q who shared a lot of info also.

498 diameter patched, tapered to ogive, cup base adjustable length mould. Mould to adjust from 1.2 inch length up to ? Any one got any more ideas for me to spec this mould to Steve Brooks in the near future.

Thanks guys

:castmine:

The Dust Collector
09-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Bob B, http://www.thepapermillstore.com/product.php?productid=9304
this is a wbe site that sells a good onion skin. Mead tracing paper sold under the name
ACADEMIE is good too. It's sold by WAL-MART
DUST

The Dust Collector
09-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Jcherry, I'm working on putting some pics together of my patch cutting fixture, my rolling board and such. I personally have many irons in the fire but I'll get them up as soon as time permits.
DUST

MLR
09-30-2007, 01:01 AM
EDK
If you are considering an adjustable mold you might want to give Fred Leeth a call. He runs Pioneer Molds.
I have one of his molds and its a beauty. Only thing is he did cut the base plug where it leaves the skirt way to thin. I'm going to have this taken care of.
If you do contact him you might want to ask about the base plug problem.

Michael

Four Fingers of Death
09-30-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm going to have to pony up with some big bucks and import a ream of that paper. I have never been able to find anything in australia and when you go into a stationery suppliers and ask they look at you like you are speaking greek or something. Very frustrating.
Mick.

slughammer
10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm going to have to pony up with some big bucks and import a ream of that paper. I have never been able to find anything in australia and when you go into a stationery suppliers...

How about tracing paper or drafting vellum?

45 2.1
10-02-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm going to have to pony up with some big bucks and import a ream of that paper. I have never been able to find anything in australia and when you go into a stationery suppliers and ask they look at you like you are speaking greek or something. Very frustrating.
Mick.

Go to the stationary store with a micrometer. What your looking for is paper that is about 0.002" thick. Do not buy the erasable kind as it is very difficult to wet. Get a strip of it and wet it in your mouth with saliva, it should have a little body left but should roll easily around a pencil without tearing.

PAT303
10-08-2007, 03:31 AM
I think i'm in the same boat as everyone else as far as we have to many things to do and not enough time.PP is my next thing after the muzzleloading world championships,my 303 pygmy,my new 8mm turk,my .451 whitworth thats coming etc,etc.Don't worry,we'll get there and have fun do'in it. Pat