PDA

View Full Version : fffg Goex vs Pyrodex RS in an Investarms Hawken

hornady308
06-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Just for kicks, I tried equal amounts by volume of fffg Goex and Pyro RS in a .58 Hawken today and I was surprised by the results. The Pryo shot dead on at 90 yards with both .570 round ball and 350 REAL boolits, while the same projectiles hit low and to the left with the Goex. Group size was much better with the Pyro. I don't really like Pyrodex very much, but it seems this rifle really likes it. All my other rifles prefer real BP.

Sergeant Earthworm
06-22-2013, 12:26 AM
sometimes it seems there is no accounting for what a rifle will or will not do. It may well be that your load is in the "just right" category for Pyrodex but the "little bit too much or too little" category for the Goex.

oh, and, my Hawken is deadly accurate with the Lyman 370 grain Maxi-Ball and fffg BP but groups shooting the 350 REAL are terrible.

HARRYMPOPE
06-22-2013, 12:41 AM
A fellow i know who shot muzzleloaders competitively(not dress up rendezvous gimmick target stuff) for years admitted often the Pyrodex was better accuracy wise though he really preferred black powder.I sure like Pyrodex P in my 50 cal RB guns.

mooman76
06-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Wouldn't a better test been FF instead of fff? Pyrodex RS is the equivalent of ff powder.

OverMax
06-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Compairing 3-FFF black to RS isn't a true test. If the sights were left unadjusted thru both test firings and the powder measuring's were the same in volume. Low and to the left suggests to me that the Gorex Black was indeed faster than your pyrodex RS was.

O/M