PDA

View Full Version : Idiot's guide?

junkpile
06-21-2013, 08:14 PM
I was thinking there was an "idiot's guide" to getting started casting. I've looked around the site, but can't locate it. I guess that makes me an idiot, so should be a perfect match:-).

I've been reloading for a few years. I use a rockchucker press. I reload 308, 357, 38sp, 45, 45acp, 9.3x62, and I'm trying to find a way to add 30/30 and 45-70 in there (they will be the shorter range replacement for the 2 current rifle rounds). I hope to also add a 6.5-284 and a 338 for extended range stuff. And, I digress...

I'm wanting to start casting for 357 and the 45's initially. What I want to know most is the best guess on choosing first molds. What kind of lubing should I use to start with? I was thinking about just starting with an old saucepan and a camp stove. I've got them laying around.

Anyway, looking for a simple method. I like doing things on my own whenever possible, just not a ridiculous amount of time. But I do have enough time for casting and shooting. What is a good mould and system to start with?

williamwaco
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
There is no place I know of where there is more information than this site.

It is spread around though and you need to know what you are looking for.

If you want the condensed version you really need a good manual.

I recommend one or both of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-Edition/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371860698&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+bullets

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Pistol-Revolver-Handbook-Edition/dp/B000KKCZOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371860746&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+revolver

If you can only afford one at a time, get the cast bullet manual first.

shadowcaster
06-21-2013, 09:21 PM

++1 It is only going to be as simple or as complicated as you make it. But.. I warn you. It's addicting! :)

Personally I have had very good success using the Lee molds and they are affordable.
Alox is an easy way to start with a simple lube, but with a little work you can turn it into 45-45-10 for a much better tumble lube.
The camp stove and sauce pan will be fine just make sure that it's not made of aluminum.
While doing the dip method invest in a proper ladle. Makes things much easier.
I find a casting thermometer to be very helpful, and use it every time whether casting or smelting.
Use saw dust as flux. Some will tell you to flux with wax. Wax is a reducer.. not a flux.
A few safety items: gloves, face shield, hat, I also use a leather welding apron.

Happy casting..

Shad

Hickory
06-21-2013, 09:45 PM
If you came seeking knowledge & information, you're no idiot.

junkpile
06-21-2013, 09:53 PM
I was thinking of starting with a lee mould just because it's low cost to start. I just don't know what kind of lubing to start with, which will direct my mould selection. I may just start with their products in general, if I can locate them.

My saucepan is steel. I don't want to use aluminum - relatively low melting point, and the fact that it sort of leeches into everything.

country gent
06-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Another saftey Item is heavy leather shoes boots. everything that spills goes down. I have used the Lee molds very succsefully in the past. While economical they arnt cheap made.Alos they normally come with handles so no additional cost. I also recomend the Lyman cast bullet manual. Read and reread the how to sections on casting reloading. Start small and it will grow as needed. Another thing pick up some laser cast oregon trail or other cast bullets and try them in your firarms. Then you will have an Idea which shape bullet they want when you buy your moulds.

30CAL-TEXAN
06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
A Lee mold is a great place to start. You might find out that you love them, or you might decide to get into steel and brass but even if this is the case - you're only out $20.

As for mold selection (regarding lube grooves) get one with standard grooves. You can always lube a standard bullet with tumble lube but you will have a harder time the other way around. The first mold I bought was a TL design and wish now that it wasn't. Still a great mold, just not as useful as it could be to me now. (some people do lube TL boolits in a lube sizer, I just haven't tried it yet).

I used TL exclusively in both rifle and pistol for quite a while but if you're like most of us and you continue down the path to the cast side you will probably end up with a lube sizer at some point.

If you're talking about a saucepan for melting your lead in I would have to suggest something else. You would really be better off getting a cheap lee pot, it will make life easier (for temperature's sake), especially since you are learning. If you just want to use a pot on a burner try to find something in cast iron.

GaryN
06-21-2013, 10:41 PM
I would also get a standard lube groove boolit mold from Lee to start. I would also get some 45/45/10 from Lars. It works great as a tumble lube. The pan and camp stove will work to start. It would also be helpful if you at least had a dial caliper. Some of the molds you get aren't close enough in specs. to make good boolits. Your biggest problem would be if the mold was undersized. I wouldn't smoke the molds either. Some do, but I don't. It can make smaller boolits. If your boolits don't have nice sharp edges you need to add tin to the alloy. Solder works for this. Only need 1 percent. Go pour some and have fun.

Lars link: http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

btroj
06-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Wanna be guided by an idiot? Hang out at the gun shop.....

runfiverun
06-21-2013, 11:55 PM
this will help you search the sight easier it is customized for here.
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum

dromia
06-22-2013, 12:34 AM
This is well worth reading:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110213-From-Ingot-to-Target-A-Cast-Bullet-Guide-for-Handgunners

mroliver77
06-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Nothing at all wrong with casting using a steel pot and camp stove. Some have used this setup for years. Lee molds are ok but are kind of a gamble. Most need a good deburring and prep. I agree with getting a Lyman or RCBS dipper from the start.

I second dromias advice to read Glens book.
J

RobsTV
06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I was thinking there was an "idiot's guide" to getting started casting. I've looked around the site, but can't locate it.

Pretty much everything you need to know is in the guide linked at the top of this section.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110213-From-Ingot-to-Target-A-Cast-Bullet-Guide-for-Handgunners

Gtek
06-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Go online and find - FROM INGOT TO TARGET by Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate. You will read and read, then print out and put in big notebook with plastic cover sheets, excellent addition to your library. At least that's what happened here. It appears a couple of the meisters changed their avatars, who's Ned? Gtek

ku4hx
06-22-2013, 09:00 AM

It is spread around though and you need to know what you are looking for.

If you want the condensed version you really need a good manual.

I recommend one or both of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-Edition/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371860698&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+bullets

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Pistol-Revolver-Handbook-Edition/dp/B000KKCZOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371860746&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+revolver

If you can only afford one at a time, get the cast bullet manual first.

In a nutshell ... this !

junkpile
06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I downloaded the Fryxell book, and started reading it last night. I'll be reading it. I appreciate the input. I'll continue watching different conversations here as I figure out how I want to get started.

runfiverun
06-22-2013, 10:28 AM
little Ned is in Texas.

mdi
06-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I started with a 1 qt. pot, a Coleman stove, a Lee dipper, and a Lee mold. In addition I used sawdust for flux (for casting and smelting) a slotted spoon from Ma's kitchen (no I didn't give it back) for stirring/skimming, and muffin pan for ingots and I had access to wheel weights. My beginning was with info from Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition (I like the third edition much more than the 4th for casting info). Learning temperature control is a bit more difficult with a camp stove, but do-able, just takes a little practice.

I cast several hundred .44 cal. bullets with this equipment before I went to an electric bottom pour (Lee), somewhere between 700-800 keepers. I started lubing with alox and pan lubed a bunch too. A whole bunch of .44 Specials and Magnums went down range through my S&W 629 and my Ruger SBH...

I think I had less than $50.00 invested in my original set-up.

If you can find a Lyman's 3rd edition get it, I think its much better for a new caster, but a 4th will do. Lee's Modern Reloading has a section on casting, which is a pretty fair intro to casting (a few things I disagree with but no big deal really).