PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting

7of7
06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
It looks like I will be hunting Elk with my 54.. Should be fun.. I have never killed anything with a muzzle loader so..it whould be an experience. I got drawn for an agricultural hunt in Eastern Oregon.. it runs from October to Jan 31, 14...(effectively until December 31) but, I should be able to get an elk in that time frame... If I can't, I think I better just quit while I am ahead..LOL A relative has quite a few acres of farm land and they are always going down there by the river that cuts across the property.. I think it should be more of an ambush.. see them down there,... go hide along the route they take to go back up the mountain, and then just wait for them...
Going over for some area practice this weekend.. do some ranging.. and just shooting... gotta know where that first shot is going to go..

johnson1942
06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
your .54 can do the trick. tell us how it all turns out. elk is really good meat.the back straps are out of this world.

rodwha
06-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Wish I was you!

bigted
06-23-2013, 08:05 PM
that is the best of the best in the meat dept. I used to hunt em on the brushy west side and the Roosevelt elk seem to be bigger in the body then the rocky mt elk but they all eat very well. the rocky mt have generally better racks but cant eat them anyway.

good luck on your hunt...er harvest. wish I were in your lucky shoes.

mooman76
06-23-2013, 10:38 PM
I like moose better but Elk comes in a close second. I can't think of any game meat I would turn down.