PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Super Target Spot Lens Issue

Mac118
06-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm borrowing a Lyman Super Target Spot Scope, with an option to buy if I'm satisfied. I have a scope exactly like it already (20X) but I need this one for different use. Maybe someone here can identify an oddity with the objective lens. It's not mold or mildew, it's a flashy little crescent on one edge and can only be seen when you hold it at just the right at an angle. Holding it dead on it can't be seen and no indication of it when you look through the scope. I know some of the older target scopes used fused lenses on the objective which sometimes separated, but I didn't think Lyman was one of them. Anyone ever see this and should I be concerned?

john hayslip
06-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Probably in the glue or lack thereof between lenses. I found a few years ago an inexpensive booklet on repairing old scopes. Doesn't look too difficult.
It's on the other side of the house right now. If you're interested PM me and I'll dig up the name and see if it's still available. Friend of mine does it for his using dental floss separated for crosshairs shen that is needed.

Frank46
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Usually when you see some of the older lyman scopes you also see this as well. It's the glue that has deteriorated over time. Parsons scope service bought all the parts for lyman scopes. I believe the owner passed away and the son is now doing the repair work. There are a few others out there and you might google scope repair to see what pops up. I don't think that there are that many companies out there that do scope repairs. We for the most part have become a disposable society. I haven't see a TV repair shop in a long time. Frank

Mac118
06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your info. I suspected it was this kind of situation.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Mac' I have three Lyman Super targetspot scopes and have never had that problem but I bought a 1 inch tube Unertl that had a similar condition. I called Unertl when they were still in Pa and Elsie Unertl said, send them in and we will fix the problem whatever it is. Within a few days Elsie called me back told me they were fixed. I sent them a check and got the scope in about four days. They were like new. The repair report said they had simply cleaned them. Not being satisfied I called and talked to the repairman who did the work. If I remember correctly it was grease on the inside of the objective lens. Since the objective lens has to be screwed in and out for parralax adj, a lite grease is put on the fine threads to prevent wear and assure easy adjustment. I have had no problem since.

Mac118
07-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I hadn't thought about grease migrating across the lens. I did show it to owner of the scope and asked if he was aware of it. He said the scope has been in the box for quite a while and doesn't remember it being there. I mounted the scope on a Stevens 414 and have been shooting it. I can't see anything through the scope, so no problem there. But if I decide to buy I'll need to negotiate with that weirdness in mind.