PDA

View Full Version : killed a deer with my truck.

boltaction308
06-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Well I didnt shoot it with a cast bullet, but got a deer last night with my bumper. I was doing 65 mph on 287 in NJ and hit a deer. ZERO damage to my truck, knocked the deer off into the ditch. The police officer was very nice and even helped me load the deer into the back of the truck. Took it to my butcher and he even gutted it for me (I was dressed in good clothes)

NJ has a lot of bad laws but we have a real good road kill system. Just need a form from the police and its yours.

EMC45
06-21-2013, 10:09 AM
NJ is swarming with deer. When I left it was 1 buck 2 does per season. They overpopulate.

1500FPS
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm really amazed it didn't do anything to your truck and happy for you too that it did not. I believe many of the states have lightened up on their road kill laws. It may be that it saves them money in these troubled times.

boltaction308
06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
My parents live in Texas, if a deer gets killed and it lands in your driveway, you are not even allowed to move it. The simple act of dragging the animal a few feet can get you a ticket.

I was up in New Brunswick, Canada last month and got a bear. Same up there, you cant touch anything that is road kill.

In central NJ, with a bow, you can shoot as many does as you want. Yes, you can shoot 100 or more in a single season if you have the time.

My truck is an F350 and I hit the deer in the rear with the front left corner (he was going from right to left as fast as he could run).

DeanWinchester
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
You killed a deer with your truck.......Thank God you didn't kill a truck with your deer.

Sweetpea
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Just keep count...

I once took three deer in about four months with my truck!

It is nice when you don't completely turn them into venison jello.

Brandon

country gent
06-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Is New Jersy going to charge you Hunting license fees along with your plates now? Glad to hear all is okay and no one was hurt. Alot of times an bigger animal sets of the airbags. Guy I worked with hit a larger dog set airbags off broke his arm and he lost control of the car. This could have been much much worse. Very glad it wasnt.

429421Cowboy
06-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Glad you and the pickup are ok, and that you got to make use of the deer rather than letting it waste in the ditch! It always kills me to leave them to rot when they could be used, but now the state of Montana has finally made steps towards letting us claim our roadkill.

boltaction308
06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Cowboy,

I agree with you completely, I hate to see them wasted and rotting.

This is the 4th road kill I have harvested but the first one I killed myself. The problem is most of the time you dont know how long they have been there. The first one I came upon by a state park near my house. The driver was waiting for the cops and the deer was still alive with a broken back. About a minute after I got there the cop showed up. After he talked to the driver, he was going to finish it with his gun. I convinced him to let me do it with a knife. He was fascinated by the whole process of gutting the deer, he held his flash light for me the whole time. I have been very pleased with the cops each time I have gotten the road kill permits.

My truck is a big truck, F350 weighs 8000 pounds. Hitting the deer didnt even slow me down. If I hadnt seen it I would not have realized that I had hit anything, it sounded and felt like running over a big bump or a small pot hole. It happened so fast that if you had blinked you would have missed it all and not realized it.

I drive an hour each way on 287 to work and I have noticed in the last 2 weeks and significant increase in road kill. Anyone else notice that anywhere?

shooterg
06-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I've killed one with a pickup, one in a car, and one on a 1972 Harley. NONE of my vehicles escaped undamaged ! And the buck that jumped on the Harley broke my leg to boot !

Enjoy that tenderloin - mmmmuhmmm

BAGTIC
06-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Just curious but what do you figure is the ballistic coefficient and sectional density of a pickup truck. Was there any evidence of death by hydrostatic shock?

marada
06-21-2013, 07:45 PM
glad it didnt hurt you or the truck . no sense in wasting that bad boy lol. that will make a lot of good jerky.

TXGunNut
06-21-2013, 10:01 PM
You were lucky, my last deer collision cost me over $1200 and I almost got stopped in time. So much for 5 mph bumpers. Got out to finish it off and it had already gotten up and ran off. Just as well, wasn't going to load it into my new car.
If you need some tips on this subject contact X101Airborne. His old Dodge has killed more deer than the average thutty-thutty. ;-)

DougGuy
06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Hehe I tagged one with my turn signal one morning in Jan of this year, cartwheeled it off into the ditch so I gathered it up and tossed it in the back of the cavalier wagon, it decided to get up and start kicking and thrashing, then it laid down and gave me the evil eye the rest of the way home. It bolted out of the back when I opened the gate and I cornered it behind the shed and did it in with bare hands and a ratchet strap.

It would have died an agonizing death, it's bladder was pushed out between the abdominal cavity and the skin, sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do..

x101airborne
06-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Sorry for your luck. That is why my truck is called the deerslayer. I killed 6 deer in 6 months.

My step-father in law killed a 8 foot gator in Lousianna with a 76 (IIRC) VW beetle. Threw it in the nose thinking it was expired. Went to a party and his good time buddy heard something rattling around in the car. Opened the nose and was greeted with 150 teeth coming at him. He fell back, gator ran off, then he went inside the house and wanted to beat my SFIL to death thinking it was a joke he was playing on him. SFIL had no idea what was going on till he went outside and found the nose open.

MT Gianni
06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Sorry for your luck. That is why my truck is called the deerslayer. I killed 6 deer in 6 months.

My step-father in law killed a 8 foot gator in Lousianna with a 76 (IIRC) VW beetle. Threw it in the nose thinking it was expired. Went to a party and his good time buddy heard something rattling around in the car. Opened the nose and was greeted with 150 teeth coming at him. He fell back, gator ran off, then he went inside the house and wanted to beat my SFIL to death thinking it was a joke he was playing on him. SFIL had no idea what was going on till he went outside and found the nose open.

This beats any dead deer story I have ever heard. I am up over 10 with the cars/trucks and only two have been no or slight damage.

Idaho Mule
06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Heck, I woulda done that to someone. That's just good humor right there. But, alas, we are fresh out of gators up here in Idaho. We could do it with a wolf or sasquatch though. x101, I had a Dodge like that for a few years too, lucky for me the newer one hasn't taken that habit up yet. JW

MBTcustom
06-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Its a good idea to glue a few cast boolits on your bumper just in case you should ever hit a deer. Then at least they will die an honorable death. LOL!

Para82
06-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Hit a deer with a 78 Dodge Power Wagon years ago and just like you described, I didn't even feel it. Was running about 65mph. One little dent in headlight chrome ring. Last fall 1st day of buck gun season I hit a 5 point buck with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4wd about 200 yards from my driveway running about 40mph and did $5100 dollars worth of damage and still had to shoot the
deer with a G20 10MM! I did gut it and bring it home though. Hitting deer in WV is very common!

Zymurgy50
06-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Here in Michigan we go for two at once......icy roads, only doing 25mph, momma decided to bring her two young'uns across the road. well momma made it but the two young'uns didnt. 2700$ in damage to an 88 S10 Blazer
Roadkill here is get a tag from sherrif and it is yours. Across the border in Indiana ya have to be a resident to take the deer.

bikerbeans
06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Cowboy,

I drive an hour each way on 287 to work and I have noticed in the last 2 weeks and significant increase in road kill. Anyone else notice that anywhere?

I have seen a number of roadkills around my place, NW Ohio, the last few weeks. If I didn't have a calendar I would think it was late October or early November.

BB

TXGunNut
06-22-2013, 12:43 PM
There's a 15 mile stretch of highway under construction that I travel most days, four deer in two weeks. I guess they haven't gotten around to putting up the "Deer Crossing" signs yet. :wink:

Smoke4320
06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
hit a german shepard once with 36" RF tire going about 50 MPH in a jacked up Bronco.
he came out of as brush covered ditchline to attack the tire ..mis judged the distance and went flying doing 3 complete circles before hitting the ground DOA.. I'm a dog lover and it really broke my heart

Glad you and the truck came out unscaved .. enjoy the deer meat

popper
06-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Goodsteel, you beat me to it. Haven't hit anything yet, but almost got an elk in Co. One jumped over the car in front of me, clipped the windshield with a hoof on I70 (the old days, 90 mph). Kept on going into the woods. Had a rental in Calveras with deer whistles, supposedly they work, the 2 I saw in the road in front of me jumped the fence. Talk about deer crossings, I saw a small herd cross at the sign outside Durango. Didn't even need a crossing guard.

bstarling
06-22-2013, 06:07 PM
I killed the wife's Dodge Mini Van with a doe a few years ago. She was not amused!

Bill

DougGuy
06-23-2013, 07:38 AM

+1 I have to agree that beats any dead deer story! That would be well worth Youtubin!

Three44s
06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Killed a doe about thirty years ago. She ran across oncoming traffic at night and right into the left front corner of a Ford 2T truck I was driving. The load of fire wood and I were not about to stop in time when she was three feet away in my lights on low beam.

The impact knocked her clear back across the State Hwy to where she had started!

I was young and green and did not stop but the back vehicle of the oncoming string of rigs DID ....... you see in this state you don't touch'em!

When I got back to mountain camp the next day there was a doe hanging in camp with the owner's doe tag in her ear. He said, "some truck hit this doe last night and we tagged her and dressed her out!"

These were our loggers ....... I thought, what a coincidence!!

Three 44s

starmac
06-24-2013, 04:11 AM
I had a buck attack my blazer once. lol The blazer had no top or doors and he hit rifht in front of the door, spun around and hit right behind the door. my son in law thought it was coming in with us, so he had already vacated the seat and was in the back by the time he hit us. lol
I nailed one on my v45 magna once though. lol

NVScouter
06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
There was a good story just outside Reno with two poachers. If you've seen the movie Tommy Boy just change the two main characters to Vietnamese guys in a new Chevy Tahoe and thats what happened.

A trooper caught them on the side of the road covered in blood head to toe. The deer came alive in the back and they almost ran off the road. The driver stabbed it to death eventually inside the new Tahoe!

Two arrests and a ruined interior. I bet that Tahoe is going to smell good after a few weeks in the impound!

nanuk
06-26-2013, 06:52 PM
My wife hit a big bull moose with a 92 Sunbird. Caught the breastbone with the mirror, breaking side window, and breaking the tip off the spoiler... Wrote the old car off.
she drove right under the head. Knocked the big feller to the ground, he got up and walked away!

I hit a moose's hind hoof as she turned to run down the road in front of me, I couldn't stop in time.... no damage, and she didn't even limp!

wolfe28
06-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Its a good idea to glue a few cast boolits on your bumper just in case you should ever hit a deer. Then at least they will die an honorable death. LOL!

Oh just say you got it with a 56,000,000 grain boolet and be done with it.

;-)

D