PDA

View Full Version : Range Lead?

steve4102
06-21-2013, 12:37 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase some lead ingots made from "range Lead". I know this is not exact and almost impossible to know for sure, But.

What would be a good guess as to the Hardness (BHN) of range lead from an indoor range?

Thanks
Steve

snuffy
06-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Get it!

That's all from my clubs indoor range. It averages about 12-14 BHN, needs some tin added for good fill-out. That's just half of what was in that backstop.

Here's some 40's made from it.

mrblue
06-21-2013, 02:59 AM
If the price is right Id say get some. It beats having to dig it out of the dirt pile at my range!

Hounddog
06-21-2013, 03:29 AM
I use range scrap almost exclusively for all my pistols. Works great in my 9mm, 40, 45acp, and my 45 colt. I can't beat the price, free. Just gotta dig it up and process it.

Scharfschuetze
06-21-2013, 05:38 AM
I've used it "as is" for 38 Special and 45 ACP loads. As Snuffy suggests, you might need some tin, but try it "as is" and see how ductile or how well it fills out your molds before that expense.

Oreo
06-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Range scrap is my primary source as well. I buy superhard from rotometals to sweeten the alloy with antimony a bit but it doesn't need much.

Sasquatch-1
06-21-2013, 07:05 AM
My scrap ranges from 12 to 13 one day out of the mold up to 22 aged for a month. Part of this depends on how I separate prior to smelting.

Huskerguy
06-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I wish I had a way to test the lead from my range. I have to assume that it would be consistent from any range so I just go with that. I mix mine with some tin when I have it and some wheel weight lead.

A question for the experts (obviously not me) - would water dropping also increase the hardness and I have read a little about heat treating. Don't want to hijack the thread but if the OP is concerned about hardness it might be helpful to know.

steve4102
06-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Get it!

I'm going to get it, just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks for all the help.

Brenden
06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
the rang lead I get ranges 8-9 bhn its alot of 22 and jacketed.

jcwit
06-21-2013, 10:02 AM
I cast using 2 ingots range lead and 1 ingot of wheel weights, works for me.

SlowSmokeN
06-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I use range scrap almost exclusively for all my pistols. Works great in my 9mm, 40, 45acp, and my 45 colt. I can't beat the price, free. Just gotta dig it up and process it.

Same for me. Works in them all and the price is right

Idz
06-21-2013, 12:31 PM
My indoor trap lead measured by my Lee hardness tester is usually 8-9 BHN. Its a mix of 22 LR, cast, plated, and FMJ bullets. A big user is law enforcement so FMJ is probably the majority. Shotguns aren't allowed so it probably mostly lead+tin

mikeym1a
06-21-2013, 12:54 PM
My indoor trap lead measured by my Lee hardness tester is usually 8-9 BHN. Its a mix of 22 LR, cast, plated, and FMJ bullets. A big user is law enforcement so FMJ is probably the majority. Shotguns aren't allowed so it probably mostly lead+tin
Just curious, why no shotguns? Velocity no greater than magnum pistol loads, unless they are worried about the mass being to great for the backstop???

snuffy
06-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Just curious, why no shotguns? Velocity no greater than magnum pistol loads, unless they are worried about the mass being to great for the backstop???

The wads! It's a mess to sweep up the wads in front of the trap. Or if they make it into the trap itself.

"My indoor trap lead measured by my Lee hardness tester is usually 8-9 BHN. Its a mix of 22 LR, cast, plated, and FMJ bullets. A big user is law enforcement so FMJ is probably the majority. Shotguns aren't allowed so it probably mostly lead+tin "

Our club range was divided into two sections, 1-5 were for magnum pistols, 6-10 were for rimfire only. The lead I recovered was two distinct hardness, .22 lead is nearly pure with a trace of tin and antimony. I wish we could have kept the two separated, the huge logistic problem of hauling over a ton of **** lead did not lend itself to keeping it marked and separated. Maybe if I were more OCD it could have happened----,, OMG, NO

I did save about 200 pounds of that lead that got trapped in the bottom angle of the slanted steel deflector.;

Those "logs" are wedge shaped, created by the 22 bullets slamming into the deflector, then sliding down to weld themselves on top of each other. The rest of that container was also from 6-10, all .22 lead. I cast some 45/70 420's from a lee group buy 6 banger;

Those are dipped in mule snot, then allowed to drain. They shot beautifully in my NEF buff classic.

runfiverun
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
if you drain them on wax paper you can eventually re-claim the run off alox.

Shiloh
06-23-2013, 09:44 AM

Me too. I have sweetened it with linotype if to soft.

Shiloh

Idz
06-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Shotguns were banned from our indoor range due to the apparent skills of some shooters. They managed to miss the bullet trap completely and blast holes in the ceiling. Personally its nice because I don't have to pick plastic wads out of the range scrap.

Nickle
06-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Range lead is going to vary, depending on what it was before.

Jacketed cores and 22 rimfire bullets are fairly soft (under 10 BHN). Cast bullets will run from medium (about 11-12 BHN) to hard (20 BHN and up).

I added the BHN ratings because soft/hard is too relative. You's be shocked at how many times I've been asked if the boolits used in ammo I sell was hard. They are so used to the commercial hype for hard boolits that they expect it. I usually take a moment and explain why commercial is hard, but mine isn't. You not only don't need more than COWW alloy for "most" pistol (or slow rifle) boolits, it's actually better.

These days, I'm getting into swaging, so I bought something I should've had long ago, a hardness tester (I went with SAECO, no regrets). Now I can cast a few wadcutters and then test them to see how hard the alloy is. I'm using Corbin S dies, so my cores need to stay 11 BHN and under. If an alloy batch is too hard, all I need to do is cut it with softer lead.

27judge
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I tried range lead from a indoor backstop made up of chunks of tires. Anyone have a suggestion how to get the majority of tire pieces out before melting it down into ingots. Its a real chore with all the little tire pieces burning in your pot. tks KEN

mroliver77
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
My range scrap came from an indoor range a few years ago. It is hard enough to ring when hit together and does heat treat. It has been too long since I tested it to remember numbers.

As far as trash I smelt outside in the country so I walk away until nasties are burnt off. f I am in a hurry I dump some used motor oil on top of my crucible and light it. Fire above and below melt it quickly.
J

a.squibload
06-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Range scrap is good stuff for pistol boolits.

I smelted a bunch of j-word bullets from my
range scrap, got some pretty soft lead for
round balls but what a pain. Better to buy
ingots!

Bigslug
06-23-2013, 04:09 PM
9-10 BHN in my somewhat limited experience - - a high percentage of shotgun slug with mine.

GSM
06-24-2013, 12:40 AM
I tried range lead from a indoor backstop made up of chunks of tires. Anyone have a suggestion how to get the majority of tire pieces out before melting it down into ingots. Its a real chore with all the little tire pieces burning in your pot. tks KEN

Try to float the rubber in bucket of water. Depends on the density of the rubber - might have to use a different fluid.