PDA

View Full Version : Help Pan Lubing my 40s

mattd
06-20-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm not having any luck pan lubing my 175g TC 40s. hardly any lube will stick to the grove. using white label 50/50. other calibers in the same pan work great, but it dosent seem like the 40 has a deep enough groove. i've tried popping them out an hour after the lube was poured, overnight, and after sitting in the freezer. haven't had any luck making a cutter out of a 40 case either. any ideas?

country gent
06-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Drill out the base of a longer case ( 1/4" clearence hole) IE 444 marlin 45-70 a (375 holland and holland could be necked up A 30-06 could also be necked up but would have to be done in several steps. use expander dies in 32 35 37 and 40) then size it down to 40 in your die. size it so that inside dia is .005-.010 larger than bullet dia. You can always go back and size it down more. Sharpen to sharp edge with deburring tool inside only. This wil give you a narrow band at bullet dia and shouldered up relieve for bullet. This tool will give more to get a hold of, the 1/4" hole allows a dowel to push the bullet back out. The inside only sharpening tends to push the lube into the groove. The slightly larger inside dia allows easier alighnment and a slightly raised band of lube. You mau have to experiment with lubes also some are slippery and dont "stick" as well, some are "tacky" and stick to everything.

williamwaco
06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Scrap the pan and use LLA or Xlox.

Put it in a zip lock bag and it is not messy at all.

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube.htm

mattd
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
i've looked into the alox thing before cause it sees so much easier. so it looks like the LLA can be used on non TL bullets?

randyrat
06-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Go here and learn how to "DIP LUBE"
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?189546-Dip-lubing-lead-boolits
Or heat your boolits up a bit more before you placed lube in the the pan

Calamity Jake
06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Set some boolits in the holes from a previous pan lube then set on your heat source heat boolits and
melt lube at the same time, this allowes lube to inter the grooves better let cool then cookie cutter them out.
Hot boolit accept pan lubing better than cold.

mattd
06-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I tried sizing down a 444. used a combination of my 40 dies. Didn't work very well and I need a new decaping pin now. Not sure if the tip broke during this exercise or not, but I finally got something that is sized about .407-.410.

Using the 50/50, and the new cutter I got bullets w lube, but lube is everywhere. It's thin in all places but the groove, but its gonna make a mess of my seating die. Is that normal?

country gent
06-21-2013, 10:06 AM
If you have it use a 308 0r 30-06 die just the body portion and go slow and easy with med heavy lube to start with, possibly 243 or 22-250 again just using the "body portion of the die not the shoulder or neck. Lee sizing die wax works great for this type of work. The decapping stem/ pin shouldnt have touched anyting orther than the primer like normal so It may have been an issue before. A 45 colt or acp die would make a good first step down also. Do it in small steps so the radious on the die opening is being used not over loaded. 444 marlin case should be 452 outside dia or so a 45 acp 471 with taper it will bring the 444 down slightly then to the rifle die then your 40. What dia are your bullets? Size to .005 to start then adjust as needed. If your worried abot decappers remove them from the dies before doing this.

williamwaco
06-21-2013, 09:41 PM
i've looked into the alox thing before cause it sees so much easier. so it looks like the LLA can be used on non TL bullets?

Absolutely.

I have used on

9mm
.38 special
.357 mag
.44 mag
.30-30
.30 carbine

conventional style bullets.
It works just fine there.