PDA

View Full Version : The Ubiquitous Purslane Plant

Hamish
06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
A few years ago this little jewel popped out all over my garden after I tilled it an extra time:

Meet the Purslane plant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

The most overlooked, unnoticed jewel on the planet, this plant is versatile as can be, very tasty, and just plain healthy for you.

Once you learn to recognize it you will be amazed at how many places you will find it.

Raw in just about any kind of salad you can think of, cooked, it goes in just about anything. While young, the stems are pale and are palatable to most anyone. Once the stems begin to turn reddish purple they get firmer and crunchier, with a citrusy taste and most fry the stems at that point. (I like them raw until they start getting woody) The only real drawback is that once it flowers you will have trouble getting rid of the tiny little seeds that are akin to crunching soft sand.

Our personal favorite is a salad of purslane, raisins, bacon bits, mandarin oranges, sliced almonds, onion, and a sweet red wine vinegar dressing. It sounds a little weird, but it's freakin fabulous!

The next time you start to pull a weed around the house, or step over that plant growing out of the sidewalk take another look, you just might find lunch!!

Katya Mullethov
06-19-2013, 11:47 PM
All I got is Spurge . :(

RoyEllis
06-19-2013, 11:55 PM
And it's amazing how many (most) completely ignore the common dandelion plant....foliage for salad or boiled greens, roots dried & ground for coffee substitute etc.

Katya Mullethov
06-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Dandelions ! That'll ferment !

MT Gianni
06-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I as well as others have an allergy to purslane, known around here as pigweed. Glad you enjoy it.

waksupi
06-20-2013, 12:09 AM
I think I threw DeanD off of his shooting a couple weeks ago, when I was grazing on the foliage on the shooting range. There was a real nice patch of fiddle head fern there, among other things. I think he was keeping an eye on me stuffing weeds in my mouth, while he was trying to aim. I think Dean or Mark found a ripe strawberry.
Lots of good grazing outside this time of year.

Three44s
06-20-2013, 12:41 AM
I tried a wad of Scotch Thistle during a hunger attack ....

........ won't re-run that stunt anytime soon!!

Kind of like using Nettles for TP ........

Three 44s

Hamish
06-20-2013, 02:02 PM
I as well as others have an allergy to purslane, known around here as pigweed. Glad you enjoy it.

Funny, I think the generic term "Pigweed" is used for differing plants geographically. Around here the Amaranth is called pigweed. (yumo)

I never could get my palate to like Lions Tooth, but my bud across the street has been living on them for years.

Ric, I'm late to the foraging party, but I'm trying to make up for lost time!

Anyone else gather Elerberries?

Hamish
06-20-2013, 02:05 PM
All I got is Spurge . :(

Don't gimme that, wotter them purple things on all them green beaver tail looking patches all over the place?

Katya Mullethov
06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
If it looks like purslane , but the sap is milky , well......

http://www.celebrateboston.com/freepostcards/images/prohibition001.jpg

Col4570
06-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Nettle Soup,Soften Chopped Onions and Nettle Leaves in Extra Virgin Olive Oil,add Lentils and a Stock made from OXO Vegetable Cubes,simmer for 1Hour.Serve with Garlic Bread Toasted.

Gliden07
06-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I would really love to get into this! My Grandmother use to pick Young Burdocks (Cardoons Italian), Watercress, Dandelions, Elderberries, Fiddleheads and Mushrooms that I can remember!! This was all from a medium size park near my childhood home! Of course when I was a kid I would never eat this stuff now I of course don't have her around to educate me!!

Katya Mullethov
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Mmmmm pie
http://woodridge.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/purslanequiche1.jpg
http://woodridge.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/pounds-of-purslane-later-a-quiche/