PDA

View Full Version : Test 50 bmg checks

Sagebrush7
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Need some folks to test 50 BMG checks for me. Send me your shipping address by private mail. Need feedback so I can determine metal and thickness. If you already have that info please share. James

yonky
06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
James, i have sold 3/4"x.020" 3103 hh coil to mustang fo 50 cal, you could ask him about it. ian

MUSTANG
06-28-2013, 12:11 AM
I punched out about 40 checks for 50BMG from the material that I procured through Yonky right after I received it. Checks were smooth, well shaped (No Coke Bottle Cap formed) and easy to punch from the material. They were cut with a FreeChex III 50BMG check maker.

Unfortunately, have not been able to seat and test on 50BMG boolit yet. All of my reloading equipment and materials have been relocated from Southern Nevada to Northern Montana, and is still boxed. Hopefully by late July, I can get back to casting & loading. The AR-50 will be high on my list when I get restarted.

Based on my initial 50BMG check making; I would highly recommend the material from Yonky. I believe it should work well when I match the check produced with the Boolits from my NOE 513 850Gr. FN mold.

If you drop me a PM with your address, I'll see if I can locate the Storage Box with my aluminum strip material from Yonky, and cut and mail you a strip to test.

Mustang

tjones
06-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Mustang, what kind of rig will you use to size and seat with? -tj

Sagebrush7
06-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I punched out about 40 checks for 50BMG from the material that I procured through Yonky right after I received it. Checks were smooth, well shaped (No Coke Bottle Cap formed) and easy to punch from the material. They were cut with a FreeChex III 50BMG check maker.

Unfortunately, have not been able to seat and test on 50BMG boolit yet. All of my reloading equipment and materials have been relocated from Southern Nevada to Northern Montana, and is still boxed. Hopefully by late July, I can get back to casting & loading. The AR-50 will be high on my list when I get restarted.

Based on my initial 50BMG check making; I would highly recommend the material from Yonky. I believe it should work well when I match the check produced with the Boolits from my NOE 513 850Gr. FN mold.

If you drop me a PM with your address, I'll see if I can locate the Storage Box with my aluminum strip material from Yonky, and cut and mail you a strip to test.

Mustang
I have one of Charlies tools also. He tells me the minimum thickness should be .022 thick. I have glued, laminated two sheets of .012 litho plate together to make checks for testing. The 50 BMG guys are laminating the Amerimax aluminum and it is working better than copper. I have not heard back yet from my tester. He has .020 certified aluminum ,Yonk's .020 soft and the .024 litho. Maybe we will gets some feedback. James

JeffinNZ
06-30-2013, 06:26 PM
James; you shouldn't have to glue them together. I have made 2 ply checks from day one and they shoot perfectly as the forming process folds them up tight.

Sagebrush7
07-01-2013, 12:25 AM
James; you shouldn't have to glue them together. I have made 2 ply checks from day one and they shoot perfectly as the forming process folds them up tight.
Jeff, I glue them together mainly to keep the strips lined up as I cut them with my slitter.

MUSTANG
07-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Mustang, what kind of rig will you use to size and seat with? -tj

For sizing I have a .512 Lyman Lubrisizer Die. Intend to polish it out to .513 or .514 depending on results. May be problems with the clearance in the 450 Lubrisizer given the length of the Boolit. If so; I'll step back and use a Lee .510 Bullet Sizer polished out to .513 or .514 and Pan Lubing.

Have to get the wife Happy with the unpacking and placing for the household items; the horses moved North, and then I get to unpack the toys and get to work. I have found a few ranges in the area, but so far they are all reluctant to allow shooting my AR-50 at them. Exploration of Public Lands is up next, really do not want to drive 2 hours to Missoula where there is a range that supports .50BMG shooting.

I was able to sneak out to the SEA Container where my shooting/reloading/casting equipment is all currently boxed and stored. Located the container with all my Aluminum coils and Sheet, so one less thing to wonder where it is.

Mustang

DukeInFlorida
07-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Bob J in Massachusetts has been making FreeChex III checks for 50 BMG for some time now.
I have had Charlie modify my 500 S&W Magnum FreeChex III tool, with inserts, so I can go either way now.
I just haven't gotten to the point where I have played with the checks yet. Still trying to create a "M" die for belling the case mouths.

Bob J tells me that he's sizing the cast boolits to .513:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132682-NOE-513-850Gr-FN-Re-run&p=1511296&viewfull=1#post1511296

The shank on the 513-850:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132682-NOE-513-850Gr-FN-Re-run&p=1455855&viewfull=1#post1455855

The shank runs about .471 when I cast them in 100% linotype. My outside diameter ran .515" as dropped from the mold, in pure linotype.

So, the math shows that .513 minus .471 = .042 divided by two = .021 minimum stock thickness for success. I like to use material that's .002-.003" bigger than needed (depending on what stock thicknesses are available. So, when I do run my gas checks for the 50 BMG, I will use .023/024" aluminum or copper, and see which one processes well. Keep in mind that there's a max wall thickness built into the FreeChex III (the difference between the punch and the die wall.), but that can be tweaked as needed.

I haven't yet studied standard stock thicknesses for the 50 BMG yet, but I am hoping that I can use the same .024 material that I bought some time ago for the 500 S&W Magnum gas checks.

If anyone has a lead on where I can get a 50 BMG M die, let me know. I have dimensions for the nose of such an M die. Just not sure what to use for a body for the die insert, etc. Lyman has no interest in making them.

Salmon-boy
07-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm slowly starting to get things together, so right now, I don't have any boolits cast, and nothing to crimp the checks on with, and nothing to shoot them with.. I just got a roll of .020" brass shim stock delivered yesterday. I've only punched a handfull of checks using a 1 ton arbor press..

As for the m-type die, I was thinking of turning a cone a-la the Lee Universal Expansion die, just without any shell around it. The idea is to expand the mouth of the brass only enough to not shave the boolits. Not sure how well it'll work, but I guess I'll see..