PDA

View Full Version : Shot CBA and NMLRA Postal Matches Today

Maven
06-19-2013, 04:22 PM
74012July is going to be hectic what with travel and the birth of a 2nd grandchild, so I thought I kill to birds with one stone (or should I say patched roundball?) and complete some postal matches today. Pat I. was kind enough to send me the CBA ML [July] target, a crow, to be fired offhand @ 25 yds. While I managed to "kill" all 4 targets, I'm, sorry to say I got ony 1 "x." Since the gun was already dirty, and as I had copies of the NMLRA postal match target (also 25 yds. offhand) with me, I thought I get a leg up by completing that July match as well. The target, which is within 1 point of being a personal best, is shown below with a U.S. nickle for comparison. It seems everything, especially sight picture came together for those last 5 shots. While the GPR is an excellent shooter, I need to practice more with my "other" rifle, an Isaac Haines flintlock so I can get as comfortable with it as with the GPR

The particulars are as follows: Lyman .50cal. caplock GPR (1:60 twist) + .492" RCBS (nominally .490") RB + .018(compressed) pillow ticking patch + Win. Sutler's "Moose Milk" with a bit of isopropyl alcohol and "Old Slickum" patch lube added. The charge was 50grs. Diamondback FFg. By using moist patches, and not wiping between shots, I had very little bore fouling. Clean-up with warm, soapy water took only 3 patches, followed by WD-40 down the bore, followed by pushing a WD-40 soaked patch in and out of the bbl. Tomorrow I'll check it again, re-oil it, and put it away with the crown facing down.

Pat I.
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Great offhand group Paul and it'll be hard to beat. I'll have to shoot that target when I get my next magazine. I run Schuetzen 3f in my .50 GPR but have a pound of Diamondback I'll have to try out. You sure can't beat the price that's for sure. Did you knock the hell out of the crows? Squirrels are on the list for next time and then back to the MR31.

Maven
06-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Well Pat, I guess I killed them all, but some were deader than others. I.e., my targets were OK, but I didn't master my sight picture until I fired the NMLRA target. Speaking of which, I usually have 100 copies made of that target so I can practice hold, sight picture, etc. It often takes me at least 15, sometimes 20 shots before I'm comfortable shooting offhand. Btw, I've been using Diamondback 2F and 3F exclusively for the last two years and am really impressed with it. It 's cleaner burning than the Goex and Graf's (Wano) I'd been using and, as you said, cheaper too.

Ben
06-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Paul,

I could only wish here on my end of things.

That is some GREAT SHOOTING !!

Ben