PDA

View Full Version : PB in 243 Winchester

Rich/WIS
06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Had a bunch of Lyman 245496 GC bullets I got from a member here to load for plinking in my M788 Rem carbine. Still have a few and since my plinking load is 4.0 gr Bullseye got to wondering if they really needed a GC. Found a cheap Lyman DC 245496 on Ebay that looked as if the GC area of the mold was messed up and won it ($42 shipped). Mold came yesterday and sure enough the GC area was messed up, previous own had tried to make a PB bullet and had bored it out to remove the GC shank as well as the lowest gease groove. Cast a few this AM, cast nice (86.5 gr sized and lubed) with a plain base about.215-.220 long before the first gease groove. Sized to .244 and loaded them in front of 4 gr BE to test. AT 25 yards shot to same POI as the GC ones, same near ragged hole as well. Who ever did the mod must have used a drill as the bored area shows a lot of marks, but will do a little moldsmithing to smooth it out. Without a GC my cost on these is less than 4 cents a pop, no recoil and no problem hitting pieces of claybird on the 50 yard berm (old Tasco3x9 scope of course). Would post a pic but have never figured out how to make photobucket work.

quilbilly
06-21-2013, 11:42 PM
How far out will that boolit hold its accuracy with the Bullseye load? I have the same mold and it works great in the 6mm Rem. I am now testing it in my wifes 243.

Rich/WIS
06-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Haven't tried it past about 50 yards, use it to plink the pieces of broken clay taregets that land on the 50 yard backstop from the sporting clays events. Curious myself, have to try a target at 50 and see how it does.