PDA

View Full Version : .35 whelen twist rate

atr
06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I am looking at purchasing a .35 Whelen, but it has a twist rate of 1:14 which I think may be to slow to stabalize the heavy bullets
so my questions are:
what would be the best twist rate
and
do you think the 1:14 would in fact stabalize cast and or jacket bullets?
thanks
atr

fouronesix
06-19-2013, 05:03 PM
I've had both a 35 Whelen and a 35 Whelen AI. Both had the 14" twist. Both were exceptionally accurate- especially with 250 gr Jbullets. The AI being the better all around because of the more consistent headspacing thus better re-sizing control and case life.

W.R.Buchanan
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
There has been much written on this subject and the common wisdom is 1:14" twist. Although if the gun is to be used with heavier than 250 gr bullets then 1:13 is recommended. Many were made with 1:15 barrels and from what I have read they are pretty much limited to 225 gr bullets, and accuracy goes to pot with heavier bullets.

I have no first hand experience however I have many articles in binders on this subject.

It is a great round but no .35 cal round has ever been that popular with the possible exception of the .35 Rem. in Marlin Rifles. They are kind of middle of the road calibers with the .338's on one side and the .375's on the other. The .338's will do everything a .35 can do and a .375 can do everything a .35 can't do.

This round along with the .375 and .400 Whelans were contrived so that a guy could take an inexpensive surplus Springfield Rifle, and have the barrel re-bored and rifled to create a custom rifle suitable for any NA game for less than $100. A rifle that would be worth many thousands of $ today.

Someday I want to build a .400 Whelan out of a surplus Springfield. There is alot to learn here, and it is a pretty interesting subject.

Pretty much everything about Townsend Whelan and his affiliation with Griffin & Howe is interesting. They had the bolt action sporting rifle pretty much figured out 100 years ago.

We still haven't changed it that much.

I have several period (1925 ish) catalog reprints from Cornell Publishing(ebay) of both Whelans Company, and G&H and it is facinating what they were selling and how much this stuff cost back then. Whelan sold just about everything you could possibly want to be well equipped for any hunting trip you could imagine.

And he only sold the good stuff!

These publications take you back to a simpler time when hunting in the Northern US and Alaska was still high adventure.

I only wish I had a time machine!

Randy

Randy

94Doug
06-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I have always heard that the 700 Rem will not shoot heavies, however mine in the "classic" form shoots the 3589 just fine....in fact the Deer never even saw it coming this year, nor did it notice that it was hollow pointed.

Doug

Outpost75
06-21-2013, 07:21 PM
A 14" twist in. 35 Whelen will adequately stabilize the 300-grain Barnes softpoints and give deep penetration.

A 16" twist is adequate for 250-grain flatbase.

mikeym1a
06-24-2013, 09:58 PM
A 14" twist in. 35 Whelen will adequately stabilize the 300-grain Barnes softpoints and give deep penetration.

A 16" twist is adequate for 250-grain flatbase.

Had one built on a Spanish 'La Coruna' action about 30 yrs ago. The smith gave me back a beautiful firearm. Only fired it a few time. Hit what I aimed at. No idea as to twist rate. Numrich is selling barrels in .35 Whelen for mausers, 1/12 twist.