PDA

View Full Version : derim before or after annealing

Wooly
06-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Some of the posts here seem to be saying derim first & others anneal first. What do you say BT ? Or maybe Duke ? I have several K of clean 22rfs waiting for the dies to show up. If I need to anneal first,I have time. Otherwise I`ll just keep cleaning to get ready.

Zymurgy50
06-19-2013, 07:28 AM
I anneal after de-rimming, but I use Corbin tooling. Tried annealing before de-rimming once, tore so many heads off that I scrapped that batch of brass.

Bills Shed
06-19-2013, 07:52 AM
+1 for annealing after derimming. I too had to trash my first batch of annealed, non derimmed brass. They stuck to the derimming pin no matter what I did or tried. Do not have any issues if I derim first.
Experiment a bit and find out what works for you. Just do a small batch.

bullet maker 57
06-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I also derim first then anneal.

BT Sniper
06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Derim first has always given me best results.

BT

Prospector Howard
06-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Yep, derim before annealing for many reasons.

Lizard333
06-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Not going against the grain here. Something to keep in mind if you want your dies to last. CLEAN your brass first. I tumble in SS media with water, citric acid, and dish soap. This removes all of the grit.

Then with clean, dry brass, lube lightly then derim.

Then anneal. You will know if your brass has been properly annealed if you can pinch in your fingers.

Prospector Howard
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
What about using an ultrasonic cleaner? I've found that even more grit comes out using one.
Not going against the grain here. Something to keep in mind if you want your dies to last. CLEAN your brass first. I tumble in SS media with water, citric acid, and dish soap. This removes all of the grit.

Then with clean, dry brass, lube lightly then derim.

Then anneal. You will know if your brass has been properly annealed if you can pinch in your fingers.

Bills Shed
06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Sorry I took is a given. The cases need to be as clean as you can get them with the equipment that you have. The grit in the rim can be pretty chunky and max removal is a must.
I do not have a ultra sonic bath but boiling them with citric acid and a little dish washing liquid does a pretty good job. I boil for at least an hour on the wood heater. I then rinse at least twice. I think a ultra sonic cleaner would be far quicker though.
Cleaning is just as important as every other step. I often think I spend more time cleaning than I do behind the press. At the end of the day it all helps with the consistency of the finished product.

gvanzeggelaar
06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
I guess I am the odd one out. I anneal, followed by a wash in stainless steel pins and lemishine.

I just derimmed about 750 and removed only one head. Just try it either way and see what works for you.

Bullshop
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Annealing first helps them go through the die ever so much easier.

Cane_man
06-20-2013, 01:48 PM
i was playing around with my core seating die that i am making, i totally forgot to anneal and they swaged just fine... but i know when it comes to point forming the top half of the case will have to be soft for swaging the ogive.... so i cant forget to anneal after derimming...

when you guys anneal do you clean off the cases first? most of these cases still have quite a bit of lanolin on them after derimming...

Bills Shed
06-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi Cane man
I can only mention how it works for me as we all have different equipment and so do things slightly different. I do wash my cases after derimming just because i can and i know that they are clean and free of debris. I anneal in my wood heater and they are heavily discoloured after that. If I do not remove most of the lube there are also small deposits of burnt lube on the cases. After the fire, the citric acid and dish washing liquid clean them up nicely though.