PDA

View Full Version : CCI quiet a god send

Marvin S
06-18-2013, 10:22 PM
These things are making 60 yard kills on rabbits in the garden. Got eight of them so far with a Marlin 881 and Redfield 3x9.:Fire:

PS Paul
06-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Sweet, sweet pest control!!

Chill Wills
06-18-2013, 11:27 PM
OK, How Quiet are they? They might fill a need......:wink:

Love Life
06-19-2013, 12:24 AM
I love em!!! Quiet and hardish hitting. Once the craziness stops I plan to get a couple cases. The biggest thing I like about them is they are easy to use in the 10/22. Pull trigger, pinky bolt to rear, pull trigger, pinky bolt to the rear, rinse and repeat.

These have definitely kicked 22 shorts off the top of my list for favorite round.

RickinTN
06-19-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm not the OP but the one's I've fired sounded about like a pellet rifle. I've been shooting the CB longs for quite a while. I like them very well and have killed crows at around 50yds. Lots of fun and more effective than one might think.
Try some,
Rick

Nortex
06-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Try em in a Savage FVSR (or other bolt action .22) + TacSol .22 Can...quieter than any airgun I know.

Bulldogger
06-19-2013, 08:57 AM
I've got some Aguila Sniper Sub Sonics I bought for such reasons, but haven't tested them yet. The 60gr 22lr projectile in a 22 short case is supposed to even cycle many semi auto 22's with only the sound of the action moving.
BDGR

country gent
06-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I tried the Aguila SSS 60 grn loads several years ago testing a bunch of 22 ammo for consistency accuracy and basic performance in several target grade hunting rifles and pistols no revolvers. And couldnt get it to stabilize due to the longer bullet, I believe. In most at 50yds I got keyholes of some form.A 14 or 12 twist barrel might make them real performers though as chrongraph numbers were very consistant. They did shoot fairly clean and did function most of the rifles. Bolt action lever action and one semi auto. The best was a marvel conversion on a kimber in the pistols. They would be okay for small game probably. Thats why they got tested I thought the 60 grn bullet would hit woodchucks harder than 40 gn loads helping out the marginal 22 there. We finally shot them up on the plinking range on cans and such. I used to like the old federal shiloette load with its 43 grn bullet and its shape worked great for everything I used it for.

Marvin S
06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Probalby about half again as loud as a CB with just a slight crack but they hit hard.

zuke
06-23-2013, 07:11 AM
I tried the Aguila SSS 60 grn loads several years ago testing a bunch of 22 ammo for consistency accuracy and basic performance in several target grade hunting rifles and pistols no revolvers. And couldnt get it to stabilize due to the longer bullet, I believe. In most at 50yds I got keyholes of some form.A 14 or 12 twist barrel might make them real performers though as chrongraph numbers were very consistant. They did shoot fairly clean and did function most of the rifles. Bolt action lever action and one semi auto. The best was a marvel conversion on a kimber in the pistols. They would be okay for small game probably. Thats why they got tested I thought the 60 grn bullet would hit woodchucks harder than 40 gn loads helping out the marginal 22 there. We finally shot them up on the plinking range on cans and such. I used to like the old federal shiloette load with its 43 grn bullet and its shape worked great for everything I used it for.

ALL the Cooey's that I tried the SSS does stabilize them. Same goes for my Savage Rascal.
But the CCI quiet ammo is my new choice for taking small game while moose hunting.It's by far a LOT quieter then even my Crossman 760 with 3 pump's.

40-82
06-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks, Marvin S, for that information "about half again as loud as a CB." I've been looking for this CCI quiet ammo for some time but have never seen it. I use CB's often out of revolvers in the fall to supplement my diet with a 22 revolver in situations where I could not carry a 22 rifle or afford the sound of an ordinary 22. The little CB's are perfect for 30' and under headshots and are so quiet in a six-inch barrell K-22 that the hammer falling is the only sound.

ironhead7544
06-23-2013, 09:44 AM
The Quiet ammo is very quiet in my CZ452 with its long barrel. Very accurate at 50 yards, too. Shoots 6 inches low from a 50 yards scope zero with high velocity 40 grain ammo. I would guesstimate it is as loud as an pellet gun. No muffs needed.

prsman23
06-23-2013, 09:57 AM
They are rated at 65db. Which is quieter than most hunting pellet guns. Hits harder and more velocity to boot.

Love Life
06-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Yep. I believe CCI hit a home run with these.

Changeling
06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
What is the trajectory (CCI) with a 50 yard zero, the energy at 50 yards, bullet type,FP,RP,HP, what?

The above things would really mean something substaintial for the experienced, along with weapon type (pistol/revolver/rifle), barrel length, semi auto , etc,.

Artful
06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=960

FEATURES & BENEFITS
Ultra-quiet plinking round in 22-caliber LR rifles
75% reduction in perceived noise of standard velocity .22 LR
Standard CCI .22 LR case
Excellent accuracy and low velocity (710 feet per second)
Better performance than an air rifle with similar noise levels
No hearing protection required
Great for backyard plinking and introducing youth to the shooting sports
Ideal for legal shooting areas where noise may be a concern

Quiet-22 # 960

CALIBER BULLET WEIGHT (GR) BULLET TYPE BOX COUNT
22 Long Rifle 40 LRN 50

Velocity, ft/sec
MUZZLE 50 YARDS 75 YARDS 100 YARDS
710 _____674 ____ 656 ____ 640

Energy, ft-lbs
MUZZLE 50 YARDS 75 YARDS 100 YARDS
45 _____ 40 _____ 38 _____ 36

Trajectory if sighted at 50 yards
25 YARDS 50 YARDS 75 YARDS 100 YARDS
1.5_____ 0.0 _____ -6.4 ____ -17.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVMrNwabkco

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/cci-quiet-22-load-review/

The down side is it's doubtful you'll find a semi-automatic handgun or rifle that will reliably function with CCI's Quiet .22 load. I tested the ammo in a Ruger 10/22, a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, a Chiappa M1-22 and a Kimber conversion kit for a 1911. The ammo would not reliably cycle the actions of any of these firearms. However, you can manually cycle the action and these super quiet .22 loads function flawlessly in bolt- and lever-action and single-shot firearms.

Is it affordable? You can find 50-round boxes online for between $2.49 and $2.69 at Midway USA and Cheaper Than Dirt. That averages to about a nickel a shot; about two pennies a shot less than CCI's standard subsonic .22 LR load, and about half what you'll pay for a box of match ammo.

Can you hunt with it? Well, on squirrels and similar size game, CCI's Quiet .22 load should work fine out to 25 yards or so, if you can make head shots. This load uses a round-nose lead bullet that will not expand, so head shots would be the only reliable option. The good thing is; this ammo shoots well enough that if you miss the head, it'll be your fault. Of course, this stuff is so quiet you'll likely get another shot.

Marvin S
06-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Last ones I bought where at a gun show for 3 bucks for fifty. Not real cheap but worth it in pest control.

Artful
06-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Where do you getum, what do they cost?

There's the rub - I have seen places on shelves where it's supposed to be but there ain't none there.
Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabela's - you can find it listed online places but all I have found is out of stock, sold out, backordered,
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/927185/cci-quiet-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50
and they are not even taking new orders.

Nickle
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
I've been using 22 CB Longs, but these are interesting. Same velocity, heavier bullet, 22 Long Rifle platform. This has got to feed better than the 22 CB Longs.

Changeling
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Interesting, but not enough power for anything except maybe chip munks and rats (I don't mind wounding rats).

I would rather stick with something that gets the job done somewhat better in the world of .22 bullets.
I understand the consept (quiet), they just don't meet the power requirements to dispatch other than really small vermin efficentilly !
It just seems more like a manufactuer way of giving one "less" and explaning how it's actually more, YEA RIGHT!!!

prsman23
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
It just seems more like a manufactuer way of giving one "less" and explaning how it's actually more, YEA RIGHT!!!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that notion. What it has given me is the ability to take out critters from my back window at, or lower than air gun noise levels with higher and more consistent velocity WITHOUT having to spend a couple hundred dollars on an air rifle with the power and consistency in the same ballpark. In fact it enables people with the most widely used firearm in the world to work under these conditions without the extra expense and training of adding an appropriately powered airgun in their arsenal. So $200 for an airgun and time to learn the artillery hold and a whole new platform (mostly single shot break barrels I may add) or $3 for 50 shots. I'll take the $3 please.

Artful
06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Interesting, but not enough power for anything except maybe chip munks and rats (I don't mind wounding rats).
...they just don't meet the power requirements to dispatch other than really small vermin efficentilly !

So what else are you dispatching with your 22LR?

a .177 cal. air gun springer gives approx 15 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle

1 .22 cal. air gun springer gives approx 22 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle

Quiet gives the 40 grain pill an Energy of 45 ft/lbs at the muzzle

Standard Target Velocity 22 short gives about the same...
29 gr (2 g) RN 830 ft/s (250 m/s) 44 ft·lbf (60 J)

A noisier Subsonic loading with same size pill
40 gr (3 g) Solid[1] 1,080 ft/s (330 m/s) 104 ft·lb

Aguila Sniper Sub-Sonic 60 grain loaded in the short case to a Muzzle Velocity of 950 fps
gives a Muzzle Energy: 120 ft. lbs.

An unacceptably loud (in the situation you'd pick the quiet for...) High Velocity loading
38 gr (2 g) Copper-plated HP[1] 1,260 ft/s (380 m/s) 134 ft·lbf (182 J)

So what are you shooting that requires the extra 60 ft/lbs to 90 ft/lbs of energy?

Would I attempt to shoot livestock with it - no - a rabbit with careful shot placement at limited range - yes

Marvin S
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
The only airguns I would see that compare as far as accuracy and maybe power are high dollar pre charged 25cal. I dont have to charge my 22rf up with air it's always ready.

Uncle Grinch
06-27-2013, 09:10 AM
I've been using those Aguila "Hummingbird" 22's and came close to picking up a brick of the CCI's back 5 or 6 months ago before the big price increase. I can remember holding a brick of each and trying to decide which to buy. Wish I had bought both now! Don't remember the price, but it was a lot less than what it is now, plus there was plenty on the shelf.

Hope the price comes down to a more reasoable level; loved to try some of those CCI Quiets.

BIGRED
06-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I am about 1/2 way through my 2nd box of these. I use them for pest control in a Marlin Bolt action and a SWR Suppressor. they make almost ZERO noise out of a suppressor, the impact is louder than the shot. i have taken out some 10-12# muscovy Ducks with them, so they do have killing power. the only problem i have is there is not much expansion with these RN bullets at that velocity (710FPS) so i file the end flat and drill a HP in them. I have noticed an increase in "stopping" power with this modification. there is another version of these that are Segmented Hollow Points but i have not seen them anywhere yet (because most .22lr is non-existent right now) this should be a fantastic load.

gofastman
07-15-2013, 10:07 AM
They have totally replaced CB loads for me, I still like Aguila Colibris for pistols but this load is a real winner out of a rifle

I see CCI now has a segmented quiet load, I wonder if it works well.

I wish they would put their SGB bullet on the regular Quiet load, that flat meplat bullet really anchors em!

uscra112
07-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm still trying to find a rifle that shoots Quiet accurately. Seven different guns including two target rifles which are tack-drivers with competition ammo. None have given me better than maybe an inch at 25 yards. Lot of vertical stringing. Haven't used 'em on game or pests, because I live rural where noise is no issue.

Quiet they are - my first time with 'em at a public range, a shooter on a bench nearby came and wanted to see my "silencer". It was also a hoot to watch the bullet all the way to the target thru my scope.

zuke
07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm still trying to find a rifle that shoots Quiet accurately. Seven different guns including two target rifles which are tack-drivers with competition ammo. None have given me better than maybe an inch at 25 yards. Lot of vertical stringing. Haven't used 'em on game or pests, because I live rural where noise is no issue.

Quiet they are - my first time with 'em at a public range, a shooter on a bench nearby came and wanted to see my "silencer". It was also a hoot to watch the bullet all the way to the target thru my scope.

Have you tried a Cooey? Every one That I've tried Aguila SSS will stabilize it. So does my Savage Rascal.

barrabruce
07-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Iv'e tried them in my 22lr.
I'm a Winchester z fan but have to adimit they aren't bad.
I like others could see them float around to 50 yrds.
It took a bit of getting used to but an 1" at 50 yds is doable. After @ 35 yrds they tended to get pushed by the wind heaps more but it could be only my gun or the loose nut behind the butt.

Best thing is I don't have to clean the chamber out when changing back to full length ammo like the z'ds.
I 'll have to put them back to back test one day soon as soon I buy another packet of them.

They aren't cheap over here at the local " emporium of fine sporting equipment" I'll tell you that much.

Barra

NoZombies
07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Bruce,

I'm unfamiliar with the winchester Z ammo you're talking about. could you post a link or description?

Artful
07-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Not Bruce but - here you go
Winchester Zimmer 22 Long
http://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Winchester_Z_Zim_50e4dd35b6ca4.jpg
Specially designed for 10 metre indoor target shooting. Ideal low noise short range training cartridge. Feeds from conventional magazines.
Item #Z22L Solid 29gr 770fps (235mps) boxed 50/500/5000

barrabruce
07-30-2013, 01:56 AM
That's them.
The case is std length but the nose is shorter. The core before the orgave is shorter so a full engraving will probably not happen when seated.

I tend to clean the camber throat out before using std cases again.

I know they are capable of knocking off rabbits to 50 yrds in the head.

Anything a 22 pellet gun will do and a bit more.

Yeah they pretty quite in a long barrelled gun about air springer noise but still loud in a short barrel gun.

Better for me than the other Remington cbee's cci things or hiland super subs thingo's.
The best explosive expansion if you could call it that comes from the hiland stuff but it tends to gyro out of my barrel.

Yeah I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

Ohh the impact of the z's it heaps quieter than the cci 40gn'ers if that is a bonus to you.

Barra

NoZombies
07-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks, that's very interesting. I didn't know Winchester was making anything of the sort.

I've still got a few boxes of the "Quiet" ammo here. It's pretty neat stuff, and from the 28" barrel on the Mossberg 35, it lives up to it's name pretty well. I admit though, I've only shot it informally, and never have tested it for accuracy. Maybe the next time I go shooting I'll do that...

rollmyown
07-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Anyone try these out of a short barreled CZ scout or similar? (16 1/2" barrel).

Much noisier or about the same?

barrabruce
07-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Nuhh! but out of me 10-12 inch barrel 22lr nothing is much difference. ( still legal 750mm overall in Qld).

How'd you get the SSAA member sticker on your profile???

Barra

Rick N Bama
07-30-2013, 12:30 PM
I sure wish I could find some CCI Quiet in my neck of the woods. They're great for early morning backyard varmints.

Rick

noodles mcgee
08-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Huge fan of the CCIs. Got two coons with 2 shots at about 25yds during a night raid on my coop. Got another whooper of a coon at CQB distance inside my coop

Feed better than CBs outta my 10/22. Will feed outta my AR with a conversion. Which a CB does not.

I still like CBs for basement shooting because the Quiets tend to ter up a phonebook faster.

jcwit
08-18-2013, 10:10 AM
They make an excellent round for poaching small game out of season.;-)

Love Life
08-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Huh? Why would you be poaching small game?

Changeling
08-18-2013, 05:50 PM
See what I mean!

Dan Cash
08-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Because there isn't any big game?

jcwit
08-18-2013, 08:38 PM

What makes you think I am?

Just cause I'd suggest a 3/4 inch rope would make a good hangmans noose, does not make me a hangman or one who's going to hang anyone.

Love Life
08-19-2013, 12:40 AM
What makes you think I am?

You are the one who brought the subject up.

Artful
08-19-2013, 12:54 AM

Arrows or Bolts are better.

jcwit
08-19-2013, 12:55 AM
I've brought up NASCAR Racing, but never raced in NASCAR. Brining up a subject makes one doing it? I question your logic.

You are the one who brought the subject up.

And you are the one trying to change the meaning and put words into someones post with meanings to suit, I don't know just what?

I ment what I said, no more, no less. Sorta simple is it not?

Carry on, gotta go now, time for my beauty sleep, plus the meds are taking effect.

Love Life
08-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Relax jcwit. Nothing was implied or insinuated. You mentioned poaching, I asked why you would poach, you gave yourself sour lemon face, and I'm not bothered in any way.

I tried to change no meaning. I asked a simple question. You're the one who is defensive...and stuff.

barrabruce
08-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Besides the collapse a bit of this thread I ventured into the lions den and handed over some hard earned for some cci quiets.
Had a comparison test in my gun at 50yrds.

The z'ds went into 2.5 inches with 6 into just over an inch
Cci quites 2.5-3 inches. with 5 in an tad over inch
Z'ds weren't as wild as the quiets.

Now after playing with a paco tool Norbert sent me I "hollow pointed" some and gave them another go.
50yrd test
z'ds 10 shots max 2.1" 9 into 1.6" with 7 just under 1"

quiets 10 shots 1.45" verticle string 0.3" wide ctre-ctre one flyer .5" to side 8 within an 1" vert string.

This is not a full test and other things may vary.
But it seems the paco bashing/gentle tapping helped with either seating or constant size/crimp etc etc.

It seems resizing or whacking help shirt loads.
AS they come I'd say they were about the same but prefer the z'ds.
quiets if z'ds didn't work and needed some more oomph!!
Re mastered the quiets shone but the shorter z'ds may need a bit of fiddling to get to shoot.
Still I wouldn't complain about the short range accuracy.
I'll have to waste a few more at 35yds and see how they both cope.

So there it is folks

Hope it helps some.

Quite intriguing
Barra

NoZombies
08-29-2013, 01:08 AM
I have also discovered that in a well worn S&W 422 pistol, the Quiets will cycle when a suppressor is attached. At that point, they absolutely live up to their name! Without the suppressor, they 'almost' cycle the action with a loaded mag, and will cycle fine for the last 2-3 rounds in the mag.

sniper
10-12-2013, 06:55 PM
My experience was with a 10-22 and 77-22, and they are quieter than the higher speed rounds, but not much, and about as quiet as .22 short HPs. Barrel length may have played a role here, but hardly "air gun quiet."

rollmyown
10-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Besides the collapse a bit of this thread I ventured into the lions den and handed over some hard earned for some cci quiets.
Had a comparison test in my gun at 50yrds.

The z'ds went into 2.5 inches with 6 into just over an inch
Cci quites 2.5-3 inches. with 5 in an tad over inch
Z'ds weren't as wild as the quiets.

Now after playing with a paco tool Norbert sent me I "hollow pointed" some and gave them another go.
50yrd test
z'ds 10 shots max 2.1" 9 into 1.6" with 7 just under 1"

quiets 10 shots 1.45" verticle string 0.3" wide ctre-ctre one flyer .5" to side 8 within an 1" vert string.

This is not a full test and other things may vary.
But it seems the paco bashing/gentle tapping helped with either seating or constant size/crimp etc etc.

It seems resizing or whacking help shirt loads.
AS they come I'd say they were about the same but prefer the z'ds.
quiets if z'ds didn't work and needed some more oomph!!
Re mastered the quiets shone but the shorter z'ds may need a bit of fiddling to get to shoot.
Still I wouldn't complain about the short range accuracy.
I'll have to waste a few more at 35yds and see how they both cope.

So there it is folks

Hope it helps some.

Quite intriguing
Barra

Any chance of posting a pic of the Paco treated round next to a standard one?

Is that tool still available for sale?

Addit:

I'm ordering a Waltz tool. It will be about a month wait. I hope the bullet will expand on bunnies at their modest speeds. At least the groups should shrink.

barrabruce
10-18-2013, 10:58 AM
No I sent it back to nobert.
But I'd like to see the waltz tool when you et it running.
My chamber is a bit sloppy and I think it expanded the nose just enough to see a difference. That and the bullets were seated tighter on the crimp and maybe aligned them up straighter.

Now if I built a riffle and chambered it to close specs and made a reforming die with the reamer I'd expect it to shoot reasonably good if done properly.

I only need the tools and a heap of money like every one else. :)

I do have dreams thou.
Barra

John Allen
10-18-2013, 11:02 AM
I have been using these for a couple of months now and have been nothing but happy with them. I am using the segmented ones.

Deputy Dog
10-30-2013, 09:44 PM
guys I have been using cci cbs/remington cbees and winchester cbs it dont get no better. dont like the agulibut that said in my 541 or 77ruger they all are half inch shooters atthirty yards the remington inmy 77with the muffler on are as quit as daisy redriderwont say how many squerrel ,coon, possums,vermun I have killed in my yard( i aint no poacher )it just dont get any better than CB 22,s I even use them in the woods when hunting tree rats they dont get spooked when you miss or kill one you still can get anouther shot or two. just my two cents worth

Outpost75
10-30-2013, 11:05 PM
They are rated at 65db. Which is quieter than most hunting pellet guns. Hits harder and more velocity to boot.

I can confirm the ~65dB. About as quiet from standard sporter with no can as CCI Standard velocity is from similar gun with can. Within 50 yards accuracy not as god as Green TG, but better than Long CB. Buy a brick!

southpaw
11-02-2013, 12:29 PM

I tried some awhile back. I am not too fond of the accuracy of them and they have more drop than I would like but they are quiet when shooting them out of a longer barrel. I shot some out of a cricket and I was reminded that I needed to put my ear plugs in. Personally I like shooting the wolf match/target or cci target (standard velocity) for small game. They are accurate enough for me to hit anything I can see in the woods and quiet enough they don't scare everything away. Just my opinion and experience.

I doubt that I will be buying any more quiets after this brick runs out (if it runs out).

Jerry Jr.

PS I tried to rezero for each brand at 25 yards. The slower stuff hits WAY lower than the fed american eagle (wolf -4", quiet -8").