PDA

View Full Version : Sights

brad925
06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
want to purchase a tang sight for my 1885 highwall and was wondering what the differences are between a Soule type creedmore sight and a creedmore sight. The buckhorns ain't cutting it! Also not sure whether I need a medium or long range set. Would like to not only hunt a little with it but also maybe shoot some steel out to 500yds. Also with regards to the front sight has anyone used the flip sight that has the blade and globe post? This rifle is a cimmeron copy which is a Uberti and I was told that pedersoli used Uberti frames. If there is truth to that then the pedersoli sight kit should fit my tang. Any info would be appreciated.

fouronesix
06-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Well, quite a few questions in there and many opinions out there on the answers. I surely don't know about the Ped.-Cim.-Ubert. interchangeability nor what their Soule vs "regular" amounts to- other than the way the windage and elevation adjustments operate. Many prefer the Soule type as it is a little more straight forward than the screw/vernier scale type.

First as you probably know, quality of sights is in direct proportion to cost. Also, for hunting, the globe front will certainly work and if you have an option- the larger diameter is better. A simple post insert usually works well for hunting. Also, most of the "midrange" aperture tang sights should easily get you to 500 yards- but may depend on the design and the height of the front sight and to some extent the ammo-- thinking of a regular BP type load as a standard of comparison.

I would avoid the "flip up" front sight if it's the one I think you are talking about- flip one way and it's a post, flip the other way and it's a small globe???- The Beach Combination. I've tried it and the idea works better than the reality.

brad925
06-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks Fouronesix. That helps.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-18-2013, 10:08 PM
br. ad, a medium tang sight will be fine on your 38-55. I have two in that caliber and both are so equipped. I have never run out of elevation adjustment.

montana_charlie
06-18-2013, 10:57 PM
This rifle is a cimmeron copy which is a Uberti and I was told that pedersoli used Uberti frames. If there is truth to that then the pedersoli sight kit should fit my tang. Any info would be appreciated.
Pedersoli builds a Hiwall reproduction that uses receiver castings from Uberti. But, that is where the similarity stops.
Pedersoli heat treats the metal to their own specs, then drills and machines them to take parts of their own design.

But, if the tang sight holes on your Uberti are 2.25 inches apart, the Pedersoli Soule sight will fit them.
I don't know what size holes Uberti drills or how they are threaded. But the Pedersoli Soule sight comes with two sets of mounting screws ... and one set is metric.

CM

John Boy
06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
I've got Pedersoli verniers on a Uberti 38-55 (Soule) and 45-70 (LR regular vernier)

MT Chambers
06-20-2013, 12:30 AM
For 500 yd. sillywets, I think you need a good quality soule sight, one that has no slack in it's adjustments, and a tunnel front sight that takes interchangeable inserts, there are a lot of good sights out there esp. MVA, Hoke, etc. For other shooting/hunting, you need not spend as much, as exact repeatability is prolly not as important. Go cheap at 500 yds. and you'll be chasing your sights most of the time.

CanoeRoller
06-20-2013, 09:23 AM
With target sights there is one very simple rule that is ALWAYS true: You can cuss at it when you buy it, or you can cuss at it every time you use it.

A good tunnel sight in the front will give you a wide range of inserts, if you are shooting long range, you need a spirit level. I have sites with front windage adjustments, and I do not much like them. Pulling the rifle up and stepping off the line is a real chore. You want a rear windage adjustment, which will allow you to make fast windage adjustments while you are still holding your rifle more of less on target. A soule type will give you more adjustment than and Sharps style windage adjustment. That said, when it is windy enough to need that extra swing, it is normally gusty as well and the wind is changing so much that it is counterproductive to be tweaking the sights constantly.

If you need to save a few pennies, a sharps style tang sight is a bit less $ than a soule, but you will loose that extra adjustment.

Repeatability is the real key, you want to be able to zero that site in and be able to know that when I have it adjusted, I will be on target every time.

Don McDowell
06-20-2013, 09:33 AM
want to purchase a tang sight for my 1885 highwall and was wondering what the differences are between a Soule type creedmore sight and a creedmore sight. The buckhorns ain't cutting it! Also not sure whether I need a medium or long range set. Would like to not only hunt a little with it but also maybe shoot some steel out to 500yds. Also with regards to the front sight has anyone used the flip sight that has the blade and globe post? This rifle is a cimmeron copy which is a Uberti and I was told that pedersoli used Uberti frames. If there is truth to that then the pedersoli sight kit should fit my tang. Any info would be appreciated.

As you are in Canada, your best bet for sights, just very well maybe to contact Red River Sights, and get one of their soule sights and globe front.