PDA

View Full Version : New Remlin inspection list

Maximumbob54
06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm about to be the (fingers crossed) happy new owner of a 336Y. I ordered it from Buds so I know I need to inspect it and if I find serious enough issue they will return it. What I'm looking for is something of a checklist of what to look for that would warrant the return. I only know the most obvious in the wood to steel fit. I wish now I had ordered some .30-30 snap caps to check for how the action cycles them. I'm going into this with high hopes after reading some horror stories but at the same time I'm trying to be reasonable.

pdawg_shooter
06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Make sure the barrel is "clocked" correctly. That is the sights are in the 12 oclock posision with the reciever.

KCSO
06-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Open the action and check for metal shavings in the action and make sure it works smoothly. Check the crown and make sure it is smooth and even and look inside at the breech and make sure the feed guide at the top of the barrel isn't burred. These were all fixes needed on NEW Remlins.

W.R.Buchanan
06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
The most obvious flaw would be the barrel's postion with respect to the receiver. IE are the sights strait up and down? I tend not to believe claims of barrels being at an angle to the receiver since the tooling for the receiver threading operation is a CNC Milling Machine now and that would be virtually impossible to have happen.

That is going to be the only thing you can see externally unless the wood is **** or there is some glaring fit issues which I also doubt you will see at this point in the production. If you ordered one with real wood stocks don't expect to see any great wood, but the fit is all done by machine now and is nearly perfect on every gun. I personally would lean towards laminated stocks if I was buying a new Marlin.

The action will be a little stiff to operate however it will also smooth out over time, or you can take it apart and follow the simple instructions on Leverguns.com to smooth it out.

That's about all you are going to be able to check out visually. If the gun refuses to function correctly then you will have to send it back. However the instances for this are becoming more and more rare as Remington guys get a handle on producing these guns.

No machine shop produces perfect parts every time. A gun maker is nothing more than a machine shop that makes gun parts instead of parts for cars or motorcycles. However this outfit is pretty good at what they do.

Hope this helps your in your quest for Leveraction Nirvanna.

I just bought a Bushmaster Carbine made by the exact same people. It is a nice functional piece of work.

Randy

Maximumbob54
06-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Well I just picked it up and I couldn't find anything glaring up at me to be disgusted with.

The wood to metal fit in the butt stock isn't perfect but is still very serviceable and not the eighth inch gap or anything like I've heard about. The wood on this one is laminate, has a satin finish to it, the checkering is pressed into the wood, and like any other pressed in checkering I've ever felt it isn't very grippy as it doesn't have the diamonds standing out. The forend is a different profile than I'm used to with Marlin. Usually they are fat while Winchester is super skinny. This one is the middle bear's bowl of porridge in that it's just right. It's fatter then the front of the receiver and yet it sticks out the sides and bottom a uniform maybe eighth of an inch. But that usual bulge just isn't there. I really like the different feel to it. Being a youth model the butt stock is cut a bit short but when I add a decent leather buttpad it will even out that length of pull just right (I hope) and make this rifle's recoil feel like shooting a .223 or at least that's my working theory.

The barrel seems to be on straight or rather the front sight looks straight up and down. When holding the gun on the counter and looking down its length the sights seem to line up just fine.

The trigger does feel like it could use some work but it's hardly worse than my older model. I have no scale but the feel of it is yes it's heavier to pull but not by much and no it's not fifteen pounds as I've read complained about.

The finish to the metal looks satin with a maybe bead blasted steel and then blued. I've not encountered this finish on a older Marlin as both my 30A and 336 were both polished and blued with the better polish done to the 336. The combination of satin wood and steel gives everything a very non glare finish as I personally prefer in a hunting rifle but I do confess the older rifles do have a more pleasing to the eye look to them. And of course the laminate wood stock shouldn't ever swell or soak up oil or water making it again more suited for hunting. The worst is a slight raised edge on my right side that will be very easy to knock down.

The one complaint...

The little girl is a knuckle buster to work the action. That action is tight fitting and something is rubbing something somewhere. It doesn't stutter like there is a burr somewhere unless the burr is rubbing for the whole ride. There is no evidence of metal shavings and the tool markings inside seem no worse than my other two older models. It's just tight and NEW...

A crummy cell pic as the point and shoot is down and I think down hard this time:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/Maximumbob54/IMG_20130620_173832_096_zpsd0e377e5.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/Maximumbob54/media/IMG_20130620_173832_096_zpsd0e377e5.jpg.html)

The hammer is the same finish as the rest. The glare is from oil. And I picked it up and the sheets had an outline of the gun in oil. She's not going to be happy about that. Guess I get to buy her new sheets...

Maximumbob54
06-20-2013, 08:12 PM
I just bought a Bushmaster Carbine made by the exact same people. It is a nice functional piece of work.

Randy

I have owned a few Bushmaster carbines and one of their stainless 24" rifles. I have to admit that if the action on any of them had been this rough then I would have been furious. I'm not able to put into words why I'm so willing to overlook this on this rifle.

Perhaps that is part of the magic allure of a lever action. They don't shoot the best, ammo is kind of limiting, I haven't picked up a standard affordable production lever action that had sights on it I would leave alone and yet I can't stop buying and shooting lever actions.

I'm a lever lover.

nekshot
06-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Looks great with that wood! After all the blasting of the remlins if they are getting their act together lets be zealous to commend them for fixing the problems. I was leery of their purchase of marlin but hey, looks like they are trying to get it right.
nekshot

1500FPS
06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Doesn't look bad and it is about time they scaled down that bulbous forearm they use to put on them. That one doesn't look too bad. Myself I wouldn't call a Winhester's forearm super skinny, I'd call it right.

northmn
06-21-2013, 12:11 PM
One way to smooth an action is to work it many times. Often with an empty chamber. One feature about a Marlin I always liked was the smoothness of the action. I ahve more tahn once checked them to see if they chambered a round (which they did) due to that smoothness.

DP

W.R.Buchanan
06-22-2013, 10:23 PM
MaxBob: The action will be a little stiff to operate, however it will also smooth out over time,,,

or you can take it apart and follow the simple instructions on Leverguns.com to smooth it out.

This is not hard to do if you can operate sandpaper and a screwdriver. It also builds familiarity with the gun which is a good thing. Just breaking some edges inside the action will do wonders for it.

Mine run as smooth as glass. I am not exagerating!

That gun look pretty decent to me. The laminiated stocks look much better than the wood they are providing on the less expensive guns.

I think you did just fine on this purchase.

Randy

Jailer
06-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Your stock fit looks much better than my Remlin. I sometimes wonder if I should send it back to have the stock replaced for a better fitting one. It shoots so good I'm a little leery of doing anything to it other than shoot it.

The action would benefit from some tuning. I did to mine and it makes a world of difference.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/tuning_m_1894.htm