PDA

View Full Version : Redding die problem (.38 cal))?

spocter72
06-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Hello All,
I hadn't loaded 38's for quite some time. Started today after running cases through the tumbler and cases are scratching and collapsing on one side. It is a Redding die set and is not carbide,so I have to lube every one. I keep that stuff in good shape and oiled when put away. Inside the die is real shiny and I can't see a problem. I am going to try to post a pic of the case. Maybe someone will tell me what is going on with it. Thank you very much...73913

1hole
06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
The scratches are from severe brass galling in the upper half of the die. Galling occurs due to a lack of proper case lubing. It can be lapped out fairly easily with a drill, spit dowel and a bit of snug fitting medium grit carborundum paper.

The side crunch is from very poor case-die-shellholder-ram alignment. It could be as simple as a bit of crud stuck in the back of the shell holder slot.

spocter72
06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you 1hole. I will check it out and report back. appreciate the reply

spocter72
06-18-2013, 05:33 PM
1hole,
You were perfect on both counts.Working excellent. Shell holder was tipped just a tad from old oil and crud. Scratches are now gone. Used a pencil,battery powered drill and a piece of 400 wet/dry paper and honed it a bit. Worked great. Thank you so much,really appreciate the info...Len