PDA

View Full Version : Ordering my first custommade mould.

country gent
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I am currently talking to Steve Brooks to make me a Paper Patched mold in .442/.443 dia with a new postell/money bullet nose for my 45-70 and 45-90. Both my rifles are 1-18 twist pendersoli and green mountain barels. Cup based to cast from 450 grns to around 550 grns. I have been using the swaged Baco bullet in .442 cup based "money" bullets for awhile with good results. I may send one for an example. Any suggestions or something Im over looking here. Any suggestion will be appreciated greatly Thanks in advance

Bullshop
06-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Suggest you send me 500 of each weight for un-bias evaluation. Also suggest you send a supply of the paper you will be using. If they work as well as expected also suggest you send the mold for further in depth evaluation.
Mold will be promptly returned on announcement of my obituary.

country gent
06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Boy would really feel bad that you had to die for me to get it back LOL. The BAco bullets are working very well for me so I am going to stay somewhat close to them.

Bullshop
06-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Not willing to die for you just not willing to send it back while I am still alive. And to be double nice I will do the break in for free.

runfiverun
06-19-2013, 05:52 PM
sounds fair to me.
as a matter of fact i'll go ahead and double check dan's work.
he can periodically send me the mold and i'll make sure he is actually using it, and that it is still working.
i'll go ahead and change up the weights and stuff to keep him on his toes.

Bullshop
06-19-2013, 06:56 PM
So helpful and friendly aren't we just a great bunch of folks here.
It would be nice if you could forward a couple medium flat rate boxes of alloy with that mold and paper, 30 to 1 please.

country gent
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Im going to order the mold sometime next week. the long blocks as they will cast a boolit 1.550 long or 620 grns the standards are ony good for 520 grns and I want 550-575 capabilities. It will be a copy of the Baco swaged bullet 442-443 dia (20-1) money style nose, adjustable cup base. Ill need to ordera set of saeco handles yet unless there are others that will interchange with them. This should be the bullet since Ive been working with the Baco for awhile now ( and several other PP styles Ive purchased already cast or swaged). $ weeks lead time from when the check is recieved right now. They have been great to deal with was probably 4 e-mails back and forth answering questions now and they were always great, informative answers. fast , curteous, and very helpfull.

Bullshop
06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
So does this mean I wont be receiving the mold? OK then at least let us know how it works out after you have some time to try it.

country gent
06-20-2013, 03:28 PM
I need to get it first 4 weeks lead time on it. Ive cast some groove dia PP with an old Ballard mold of a buddies and it was a dream to use. Im hoping this one will be the same. With the ballard mold and 20-1 I very seldom had to tap the handle bolt as the bullets seemed to jump out of the mold. Bullets dropped great and very consistant. I cast 300 of them in one sitting and only culled about dozen of them after mold heated up. Bullets from the ballard mold with onion paper wrap up and dry to .459 -.460 dia and shoot great from my sharps. As to loaning the mold I would hate to see you gentleman risk burning your fingers and starining your eyes casting and wrapping them. That would be just plain mean to expect that of you.

runfiverun
06-20-2013, 04:28 PM
jeez there's a whole box of 25% cotton paper just waiting.
back to plan A. :lol:

Bullshop
06-20-2013, 04:52 PM
I too have a Ballard adjustable mold for 45 cal PP. I think it drops .446" and I patch to .451" Most PP molds drop easily because there are no drive bands or lube grooves to hang up in the mold. The only problem with them might come from a flash of lead getting past the base plug and hanging up there.
I have a few of Toms molds in other calibers as well. I used to see him at some of the gun shows in MT. My favorite was always the Wisdom show where I always had time to chat with Tom and admire (drool over) his collection of Ballard rifles.

Cosmiceyes
06-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Your many steps ahead of me.I came in to glean some wisdom as I search for rifle,and caliber to hunt with out to 200 yards.I luv or pig problems down here.They taste so good,and I never had to feed them but the one time. If ya'll ever discuss the whys ifs,and results of you actions let me know.What I thought I knew turns out to be less than it was! :)'s

country gent
06-21-2013, 12:41 AM
What i did was bought several books first Paul Mattews the paper Jacket, and another form Him. Loading and shooting the pPaper Patched bullet by Randolph S Wright ( this deals with the buffalo rifles and black powder more but the patching is about the same for both) Theres is one here by G Loomis sold by shiloh sharps also.
If your trully interested in shooting Paper Patched bullets Find some to try before buying your mold. I bought several hundred from Buffalo Arms company to try in diffrent wieghts/styles. I cast up some from borrowed molds from friends A Hoch mold and an old custom Ballard. Several club members donated a few of their gems for me to test. I have been wrapping with 25% cotton rag or onion paper 2 wraps. Im getting close to inute of angle from my Sharps now. And the same bullet performed very well from the new Hepburn Sunday. I will do the same thing with the roller in 38-55 when I finish it up. Keep us posted what your up to. Alot of good info here and great guys willing to help out. What caliber are you looking to use? What style rifle?

Cosmiceyes
06-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Starting with a used Mauser re-barreled to 35 Remington.Stocks are easy.Doesn't require lots of powder.A 9X57 would be nice,but I have yet to find load data or cast bullet information at all.I have loads of 7x57 brass I could enlarge.I am new here,and have been casting since the 70's in ignorance.It is crazy what I have learned here in a few days.

runfiverun
06-21-2013, 08:55 PM
you don't even need paper to get full jaxketed velocity's from the 35 rem.
anyway paper patching for black powder and for smokeless powder is two different things you approach them completely differently.
that's why there are two different sections here dealing with P/P.

country gent
06-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Slug your barrel and order the appropriate Lee mold in a wieght to match the rifling twist/ throat. A chamber cast can be eye opening. For hogs I would go on the heavier side for caliber. A dose of smokeless powder ( I normally use a slow powder that fills the case and gives the velocity I want) Then start testing and shooting play woth powders first, then boolit sizes, then lubes and last primers and cases. More info will be gained in the Cast boolits loads section or milatry rifles section with the question posted there. The Lee molds work great and are normally pretty good. Put a post want to buy 7mm cast boolits to test in the swapping selling section I bet these gentleman who have them will be more than willing to help out, and you will know what works best then and what mold you want for sure.

country gent
06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Bullshop and Runefiverun ordered the mold today and sent the check off. Will be 4 weeks or so for delivery. Maybe by then this heat wave in Ohio will break, 95 degrees and a 700 degree pot of 20-1 isnt a good combination. But when I get it and make the first run I would be more than willing to send you each 25 bullets to try. The mold is set up to cast a bullet when wrapped with 9# onion paper is bore riding. Money/new postell style nose, adjustable cup base. I am going to set it up for around 500 grns to start with. Alloy will be 20-1. We recovered 3 of the BACO swaged bullets from the back stop Sunday. Cleaned one up dried it and it was still 497 grns and almost a full inch in dia. But was only about 3/8 thick. The above offer stands let me know

country gent
07-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Today I recieved the Mould from Brooks and it is art work the quality is outstanding. I got 2 sample bullets with it alloy and temp specified. right to size and being adjustable nose pour its up to me to set the wieght. Drilled out a set of lee handles to .201 hole size and they mounted up fine in the brooks blocks. Ill clean it good tommrow and set it to length for 500 grn approx. Sunday will fire up the lead pot and cast some up. Ogive is a little more pointed than the BACO swaged bullets so it what I wanted all around. I also like the way he sets up his adjustable base with slots intead of fixed to one block.

country gent
07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Made the test run of bullets from the new Brooks mould today. 6 hour session in this heat. I ran 50 at 450 grns then every 50 grns to 550grns and last 50 at 585 grns. I then reset it for 500 grns and ran another 100 or so. Ended up with 300 bullets or so. Mould was a breeze to use came right up from pre heat and was making good bullets after 4 casts. Brooks made it really easy since he sent the information with the test bullets Temp pour and everything. Going to put a list/chart in my note book as to wieght / length for this mould so that I can repeat and get 25 grn increments easily. Bullet is just what I ordered. Maybe slightly more "pointy" than the BACO swaged bullets Ive been shooting. Flat on the point is only about .100 in dia. Its a great looking bullet.