PDA

View Full Version : Can RCBS lube sizers use Lyman top punches and sizing dies?

trickyasafox
09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
sorry if this is a really basic question, but MidwayUSA says that they are interchangeable. . . is there any reason not to use the cheaper lyman dies? I may come into a trade for a nice lube-a-matic II and wanted some opinions.

so if anyone has that sizer and would like to offer a comment I'd appreciate that as well.

NVcurmudgeon
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
The dies and top punches are completely interchangeable. Some on this board have posted that RCBS makes the better machine. Others have posted that Lyman makes smoother dies. Can't say-I have two Lyman 450s and all Lyman dies. Lyman dies have had a desireable tapered lead in for over thirty years. If offered used Lyman dies don't buy the older style with an abrupt step in them, they may scrape one side off of the boolit. Been there, been sickened by that.

chunkum
09-27-2007, 12:20 AM
I use the Lyman 450 lube sizer and the RCBS sizing dies do fine in it. I'm pretty sure that the converse is also true.
c.

BigSlick
09-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Yep,

They work just fine.

Before laying down the cash for size dies, take inventory of the bullets you want to lube. Lyman dies (often) have more rows of lube holes in the lube size dies than RCBS.

For instance, if you're shooting single lube groove pistol bullets, the RCBS dies may be less hassle overall because they have one row of holes in most of their lube dies (.452, .401 as an example). One row of lube holes, for a one lube groove bullet is pretty simple to set up, just adjust to the proper depth and you're good to go. Multiple rows of lube grooves may need to be plugged with lead shot, epoxy or ? to keep the lube in the right place.

On the other hand, if you're shooting bullets with multiple grooves, the Lymans with multiple rows will probably suit you better.

In the past, the Lyman dies seemed to have a little better finish to them overall. The last couple of RCBS lube size dies I've bought have been very, very well done. They don't ship them in the plastic boxes any more, just a plastic bag like lots of their stuff.

Either one will work, but plugging holes is a PITA. Buy em right the first time and you can keep the hassle to a minimum.

FWIW,

'Slick
________
LAMBORGHINI MARZAL HISTORY (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_Marzal)

trickyasafox
09-27-2007, 03:00 AM
so say my first project to lube would be a Lee 230 gr TC 45 cal slug

RCBS is the way to go then? anyone know what top punch? i know its on lee's site but i couldn't find it :(

Dale53
09-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Most flat nosed bullets will benefit from the use of a "flat punch". One punch will allow you to properly size several different caliber bullets if you think ahead a bit. I make sure my flat punch is truly "flat" (stone if necessary) so that the bullet can be somewhat self centering.

I also do NOT use the punch set screw. Just smear thick grease (bullet lube, if somewhat soft, can work) on the punch shaft and it will stick in the hole but allow it to self center.

Many bullets are damaged by using a nose punch that tends to shove the bullet off center as it enters the sizing die.

Dale53

Adam10mm
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
anyone know what top punch? i know its on lee's site but i couldn't find it :(
Lee doesn't list TPs at all. Look at Lyman or RCBS designs for a similar bullet shape and use that one. I use a RCBS 460 or Lyman 43 TP for the 10mm TC molds. They would fit just fine on the 45 TC mold. The RCBS 421 TP is good for a lot of stuff too. Usually 44cal.

TPs are a lot cheaper and you can trade them away quickly.

ETA: Ditto what 'Slick said regarding lube holes.