PDA

View Full Version : Noob Lube - Ben's Red

Gibbs44
06-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Not that Ben's Red was concocted by a noob, but this noob just made some. Pretty much started out with a shopping list and reading the sticky Made more Ben's Red today, by Ben in the Classics & Stickies section. I liked how Ben and Dean Winchester went about it. Follow the directions is what I kept hearing, so I did, well for the most part. There was tons of helpful information in the sticky on this. Follow it and don't get in a hurry and it should come out OK. One note, I used the mL volumes on my measuring cups. 1000 mL total, 500 mL bees wax, 300 mL Red n' Tacky, 100 mL Johnson's Paste Wax and 50 mL each of STP oil Treatment and Dexron.

Pretty much used a combination of how the aforementioned members mixed their lubes. I used a sauce pan to heat the Red n' Tacky on my hot plate, on low to begin with, got it out of the tupe with a paint stirrer, it reaches to the bottom no problem. I had the bees wax in the toaster oven at the 200 degree mark in a small loaf pan donated by my wife, because it is a small toaster oven and I could not fit my new Pyrex measuring cups inside. I placed the JPW in a measuring cup on top of the toaster oven to liquefy and evaporate the chemicals that aren't wanted. When enough of the bees wax was melted (mine was dark brown when melted, no smoke though) I added the Dex and the STP to the JPW and mixed it up. When that was good I mixed it in with the RnT with a whisk. Once that was good, I measured the bees wax and the poured in with the other ingredients also using the whisk, stopping periodically to use a rubber spatula to get the edges of the pan scraped down.

This is when I turned the heat up to medium to help keep it from congealing on the edges of my pan. I could see no more change in the mixture and then poured about half it though a section of t-shirt pinned to a strainer as the strainer wouldn't hold more and I wasn't sure my pan would hold more. This is when the medium heat could have been a bad idea. As I was preoccupied with pushing the lube through the shirt material, the pot was getting pretty hot. It didn't burn or boil, but it was getting close with the reduction of the liquid. My first installment into the pan had no bubbles, the second half, I believe was too hot and introduced bubbles to the mix. Next time I'll just take it off of the heat when I do the first pour.

As of now I'm waiting for the lube to cool, as it is late I'll put it in the freezer tomorrow to help in getting it out. The pictures below are of the lube as it is was as of 9 something pm, and the rest of my lube set up. No production pictures this time. Now I just need to pour some bullets, lube em up and let em fly. Hopefully I did it right and I'll be able to post results like other members that have used Ben's Red.

chsparkman
06-18-2013, 08:02 PM
That looks good. I'm gonna try it myself soon.

Dale in Louisiana
06-18-2013, 09:32 PM
There's my weekend project. With summertime temps in southwest Louisiana, I just may be able to just set the pan on the steps and stir it all together there.

dale in Louisiana

Frank46
06-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Dale, being in louisiana just stick the stuff on the top of your heat pump. Used to do that with 45 acp brass that had to be cleaned and washed to get the mud and dirt out of it. Used a collander made out of aluminum and the hot air did the rest. Frank

375RUGER
06-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Cut sticks or whatever shape you like with a knife then put it in the freezer. then you have nice easy to handle pieces when you take it out of the pan. If you store them in the freezer in a plastic bag or container they are easy to handle when you need them cause this red stuff sure is soft.

Ben
06-20-2013, 06:26 AM
I like a soft lube, my rifles seem to shoot more accurately with soft lube. I think it is related to the lube's ability to be uniformly " slung out " into the lands and grooves as the bullet makes its trip down the barrel.

However, if you'd like Ben's Red to be a bit more firm, when you are making it, simply add a few more ounces of beeswax to your mixture, or leave out a few more ounces of the Lucas Red and Tacky.

Either technique will yield a lube that has firmer qualities.

cs86
06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
I placed the JPW in a measuring cup on top of the toaster oven to liquefy and evaporate the chemicals that aren't wanted.

What chemical is in JPW that isn't wanted and what does it do if you leave it in? I just made some pan lube this weekend and put a large spoonful in without cooking anything off.

Ben
06-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm no expert on waxes, but.....I've made Ben's Red many times WITHOUT cooking off the components in Johnson's Paste wax. My lube has always performed well.

Ben

cs86
06-24-2013, 11:12 AM
It was also mentioned in the recipe for 45-45-10 tumble lube to cook off solvents in JPW. I'm just curious as to what it is and why if anyone knows.

Ben
06-24-2013, 12:48 PM
It was also mentioned in the recipe for 45-45-10 tumble lube to cook off solvents in JPW. I'm just curious as to what it is and why if anyone knows.

Probably speeds up the drying process in the 45 - 45- 10 mixture.

Ben

41 mag fan
06-28-2013, 07:50 AM
I found something at the Dollar Store that might help in the straining process over using a tee shirt.
I've got a strainer or metal colander that is wire mesh, not big holes in it.
It'll catch any chunks that haven't melted.

You get done, just place it it a pan of boiling water...can be used over again for the next batch.
Wish I'd of discovered this about 6 batches ago!