PDA

View Full Version : How much would I raise, or lower, the sights on a conversion.

docone31
06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I am a long way from the range, so I want to start lowering the rear sight, the hammer, to at least get on paper.
How much have you guys modified the sights?

carbine
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
The formula to move the impact 1 inch is

Sight distance in inches
Divided by distance in inches. Equals x

30 inches between front and rear sight
Divided by 1800 inches (50 yes) equals 0.0166 inches

That is how much you need to move sights to change impact 1 inch with above measurements

docone31
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
That helps.
Thanks.

oldracer
06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Do you know where the gun shoots now? If it were me, I would first check alignment with a laser bore sighter at least to get left/right close and get an idea of vertical to start. I would take the files with me to the range since as the formula shows, a little bit makes a big change and if you take too much off it is pretty hard to put it back.

Mk42gunner
06-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Since you said conversion and the rear sight is on the hammer, I am guessing it is a Colt type revolver? Have you shot it to see where POA/ POI is?

What with changing loads and projectile weight, you may have to make several trips to the range to get it right. When cutting sights, I was always told to make haste slowly.

Around twenty years ago I had a 5½" barreled '51 Navy, IIRC it was an Uberti. While I didn't do a cartridge conversion on it, I did make some modifications modeled after Elmer Keith's No. 5 revolver.

I cut and rewelded the hammer to a Bisleyesque shape and did completely away with the sighting notch. I dovetailed one of the fixed high profile 1911 match sights that every armory used to have in inventory at the rear of the barrel, and soldered the matching front on in place of the original bead.

After shooting and filing, I think they ended up being about 5/16" above the barrel. The little revolver with a full load of FFFg, a felt wad and a round ball shot better than any service grade cartridge handgun I ever fired. I kind of wish I still had it.

I do have another one that needs a .380" ball, while all of my other Navies take a .375", that is a candidate for a cartridge conversion with similar mods. I just can't make up my mind if I want to use the original barrel and HBWC or heeled boolits or reline the barrel to use nominal .358" boolits.

Good luck,

Robert