PDA

View Full Version : .22 MLer

JeffinNZ
06-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Has anyone made a .22 cal muzzle loader?

I am toying with the idea of getting an old single shot bolt action .22RF and converting it for a hoot. Run some soft alloy through the 225415 and nose first size them to suit the bore etc. Was thinking about ignition via a small pistol primer.

Old .22RF single shot bolt actions are basically given away here so the outlay is minimal.

bruce drake
06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Very interesting idea Jeff! You going to copy Savage's breechplug design they use for their 700ML version?
http://www.remington.com/products/archived/black-powder/model-700-muzzleloaders.aspx
Sounds like a good use of your mini-lathe to make the breech-plug.

Our older 22LR bolt action single shots can usually be found for under $100(US) as well so this might be a fun little project for both sides of the Atlantic.

You might find Carbon Fouling with BP in that small bore be a hindrance in follow-up shots in the field. Do a Google Search on Armand Meig. A noted Bavarian Gun-Designer from the late 1880 - early 1890s who experimented with 5mm and 6mm rifles with black-powder and early smokeless powders for the German Kaiser.

I like the idea of a small rabbit-squirrel roller like this as well and I may do a project like this in the future using Lee'S 55GR Bator Mold.

Bruce

shooter93
06-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Never made a 22 Jeff, I have messed with 25's enough for me to decide that 36 is as small as I want. Ram rods and cleaning are a pain in the smaller bores, fouling is a real issue. (I'm talking traditional muzzleloaders) Nothing wrong with what you want to do though and you may have a lot of fun with it.

carbine
06-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Rocky mtn arms co. RMAC made BP turret rifles back in eye 70s and 80s. They came in .22, .36,.45
I have the .22and it takes number 4 shot as I remember

JeffinNZ
06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
I have seen one locally that uses a shotshell primer for ignition but it does not shoot well and I believe the primer is the problem.

enfield
06-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I made a little "pistol" like a Remington rider with a percussion nipple threaded in the end of the 22 barrel. I've just been shooting 22 pellets with 0 to a 22 case full of 3f. I tried cap gun caps but they are too inconsistent. actual percussion caps have more oompa.

357maximum
06-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Ol boy down the road has an old winchester single shot 22 that has been made into a "PELLET RIFLE". It uses a 209 primer and a 22 airgun pellet NO POWDER....it is his yard pest removal tool and it will remove the long tailed whiskered kind a pest if you "shoot em in the noodle".

Reverend Al
06-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Years ago when we were shooting a lot of black powder muzzle loaders a friend took a single shot .22 bolt action and modified the stock and trigger guard with a bit of reworked brass to give it that "Hawken" look and he shot it using a .22 crimped blank for a starting pistol. He'd "breech load" a soft lead shot pellet (could have been a #4, but don't remember at this point) followed with a few grains of 3F (5 to 8 grains from memory) and then chambered the .22 crimp blank. It was definitely a very unique little project and fun to watch him go through all of that trouble to shoot it, but I always thought he was a bit crazy to bother!

waksupi
06-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Very interesting idea Jeff! You going to copy Savage's breechplug design they use for their 700ML version?
http://www.remington.com/products/archived/black-powder/model-700-muzzleloaders.aspx
Sounds like a good use of your mini-lathe to make the breech-plug.

Our older 22LR bolt action single shots can usually be found for under $100(US) as well so this might be a fun little project for both sides of the Atlantic.

You might find Carbon Fouling with BP in that small bore be a hindrance in follow-up shots in the field. Do a Google Search on Armand Meig. A noted Bavarian Gun-Designer from the late 1880 - early 1890s who experimented with 5mm and 6mm rifles with black-powder and early smokeless powders for the German Kaiser.

I like the idea of a small rabbit-squirrel roller like this as well and I may do a project like this in the future using Lee'S 55GR Bator Mold.

Bruce

Bruce, can you tie down the reference to Armand Meig a bit tighter? He doesn't show up on Google search.

jaystuw
06-18-2013, 12:01 AM
armand meig,his name sounds familiar. I think he may of come up with the idea for the barrel jacket on the 1888 commission rifle. jay

Whiterabbit
06-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Ol boy down the road has an old winchester single shot 22 that has been made into a "PELLET RIFLE". It uses a 209 primer and a 22 airgun pellet NO POWDER....it is his yard pest removal tool and it will remove the long tailed whiskered kind a pest if you "shoot em in the noodle".

Do want.

bruce drake
06-18-2013, 05:48 PM
armand meig,his name sounds familiar. I think he may of come up with the idea for the barrel jacket on the 1888 commission rifle. jay

That was one of his other patents :) The German Commission actually stole that idea without paying him a royalty.

bruce drake
06-23-2013, 01:42 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=0hEzAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA2591&lpg=PA2591&dq=armand+meig+Bavarian&source=bl&ots=thZPH4volE&sig=rLR2M3ojogAPH4wo5oKEnw7jexk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UzPHUbPaPOPbyAHwmYCAAQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=armand%20meig%20Bavarian&f=false

1876, Armand Meig gets a patent in the UK for a gun sight.

wendell
06-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a 22cal muzzleloader. Fort worth firearms in Texas built them in the early 1990's. Cabelas sold them for about two years in youth and adult versions. I loaded mine with 5 grains Swiss 3f for squirrel hunting.
The 225438 bullets shot great out of that little gun.

357maximum
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Do want.

I believe he started with a winchester 1902(???MEMORY HERE???) ...not sure of what all he had done to it to make it work, or if he hired it out or did it himself. He is not a "wordy" feller and I did not get a real good look at the inner workings. The gun looks like a toy and the only time I have actually heard it go pop was when I was about 160 yards away bowhunting the woods across from his house. It seemed effective from my viewpoint. I know he breech seats the pellet and then inserts the primer...closes the bolt and POP is all something the size of a maurading tomcat hears. :lol:

texassako
07-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Wasn't there a company, Rocky Mountain Arms, that used to make a breech loading .22 black powder rifle? Used a round ball, a small BP charge, and a cap to light it off. I saw one for sale last year, but judging by price it must have been for the collector realms.

tacklebury
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
This is a project I did which might get you some ideas. 8)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?129107-So-my-muzzle-loader-of-a-different-flavor!