PDA

View Full Version : OFF Topic.. but are you going to Africa?

Rattus58
09-26-2007, 08:15 PM
American Airlines has taken the un-stated reason for position of not handling firearms anymore as checked baggage to overseas destinations via Europe or Asia. Their reservations people, though trying to be helpful, have given me erroneous information about shipping via Fedex and UPS. Hunters going to Africa for hunting are out of luck with American Airlines, which now throws a huge burden on hunters going overseas. What is sad about all this, is that it is hunters who are financing the conservation efforts over in Africa, and without these necessary dollars, many animals may have already gone beyond being threatened, to worse. Because of hunters, the Rhino, Elephant and others are more secure now because poaching has an economic impact and resources to protect these game animals from poaching and possible extinction is provided by hunters. This maneuver by American Airlines, though reasons are unstated in their policy, and they refuse to answer my emails than other by a ridiculous

“Hello,

You’ve just sent your first email to me since I’ve installed Bsafe Online’s spam killer. For this first time only, please help me add your email address to my approved sender list.

Simply reply to this email with the following code in the subject line of your reply.

Xxxxxxxxx (code number here)

Thanks for your help!
powersquare@comcast.net

I’ve received 3 of these from American Airlines.. obviously they hope we’ll go away with questions or complaints by playing this “authentication” game.

Here is their published restricted items policy.

“Firearms Handguns, rifles, shotguns Checked baggage only, with restrictions May travel in checked baggage only, and must be declared to agent at check-in. For more information, see Transporting Firearms And Ammunition.

Effective with tickets purchased on/after September 24, 2007, American Airlines will no longer accept firearms in checked baggage to/from any European or Asian destination (except for military/government personnel with proper documentation).”

Personally I’d ask any hunter/shooter/friend of such to contact American Airlines and voice your displeasure. They don’t discriminate against any other lawful sports equipment, so why firearms… is this a political statement? Is this bowing to U.N. pressures to restrict firearms from law abiding citizens while anyone in the street can have an AK-47… abroad?

I’m not flying American Airlines again anytime soon, so I hope this letter has the desired effect on others as well.

Much Aloha,

Tom Lodge
Hawaii Hunting Association

jawjaboy
09-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Sorry, not planning on it.

shooter93
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Delta has scheduled more flights there and will take firearms as well as South African Air. I was there last September for 3 weeks....and I'm going back just as soon as I possibly can. A Magnificent trip.

Rattus58
09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Competition I hope prevails here.... :)

Aloha.... :drinks: