PDA

View Full Version : Reloading press made by Savage?

MarkK
09-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Can't find any info on this one. Has anyone heard of a press made by or for Savage? The one I fould is gold colored and marked with a Savage decal. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, MarkK

1hole
09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
All I can tell you is it's legit. Savage Arms did produce a line of reloading equipment at one time, mid 60s or so I think. I still have a set of Savage dies.

mark348
09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
i have a savage shotshell loader its gold in color,,,,i didn't know they made reloading equipment till i found this press,,,, looks cool on the bench

TAWILDCATT
09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
gun parts had parts for the savage some time ago in their cat.I guess in the 80s
I dont think they sold well.:coffee:--:Fire:----:coffee:---[smilie=1:

KCSO
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
If I remember right the Savage stuff was made by the same company that made Herter's. I have a set of Savage 35 remington dies somewhere.

creekwalker
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I recall seeing a very heavy duty C frame type press made by Savage and it was painted gold. I've gotta say though it looked like it was either a Herters or a C&H press from that time period though. This was a few years ago and who knows how old it was then.
cw

Bent Ramrod
09-27-2007, 11:24 PM
MarkK,

Savage came out with a "Straight 8" Model 730 single stage reloading press maybe in 1965 or so. It was listed in the 1966 (3rd Edition) of the Handloader's Digest. It cost $27.50 back when an RCBS "Jr" cost $31.50. It featured a drop-forged "O" frame with a peculiar cross-brace halfway up the "O" making the "8" of the name. The cross-brace was supposed to be for extra support; that plus the fact the frame was forged rather than cast made for a lighter tool which still was advertised to be able to stand up to swaging as well as reloading chores. The base was bolted down to a bench with two bolts, and screwed into the front of the bench at the same time with two heavy screws. The lever could be switched from right to left hand operation, and it took 7/8" x 14 dies. From the picture, it looks like it took standard shell holders, although the priming arm was different from the RCBS/Lyman/Pacific type. Savage dies were $13.50 a set; shell holders $2.50 each and primer kits $3.50. By 1972 it was no longer listed.

If you have one of those you have quite a rarity. I've gone to gun shows since 1976 and looked over tons of reloading equipment and I've never laid eyes on one.

There was also a much earlier Savage hand reloading tool with a fancy lever base (lever casehardened in colors like a Savage 99 lever) and nicely blued detachable sizing and seating dies. That isn't common either, but at least I've seen a few of those.

Hope it helps.