PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

plus1hdcp
06-17-2013, 03:41 PM
As you know, I just swaged my first batch of 224 this weekend and loaded up 50 rounds with my best proven load and went to the range with my daughter and son. The results were beyond my expectations. I shot a 5 round group and a 25 round group. The other 25 rounds I let my kids send down range. These were shot from 25 yards off of bags with my Bushmaster AR scoped with a BSA 4x12. I stopped and took the target down after 5 rounds and had to save it as I could not believe the grouping. I then followed up with a solid string of 20.

I look forward to loading up more rounds and sending them down range at the 100 and 200 yard line and analyze the results. I consider my first experience with these bullets a success.

I have not found any eye opening tips to the use of the swage dies. I have found it is easier to use a stool and sit at the bench instead of standing. This gives me a better vantage point when seating the cores and using the point form die. I am still trying to figure out the best setup for the materials (cores and 22lr). I have found it best to use a smaller plastic container to "swirl" the empty shells with a small amount of swage lube to provide a quicker distribution. I just kind of am playing it by feel to be careful not to introduce too much lube. When I felt there was too much, I simply added some additional 22s.

By the way, the 25 round group is more indicative of my shooting ability and I feel the first group was above my normal. However, I am proud of that group.

Lizard333
06-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I have some 4mil thick plastic bags I add a SMALL amount of lube then toss in my jackets or cores. Seal the bag and "shake and bake". You will find it puts an even coat over all your cores/jackets.

BT Sniper
06-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Nice shooting! Certainly looks like it has some potential.

Thanks for posting your results. Should have a lot more shooters soon.

Swage on!

BT

customcutter
06-17-2013, 04:56 PM
I have some 4mil thick plastic bags I add a SMALL amount of lube then toss in my jackets or cores. Seal the bag and "shake and bake". You will find it puts an even coat over all your cores/jackets.

Just so any newbies know, you're talking about lubing cores before swaging them for size and weight. Then the lube will be cleaned off of the cores and jackets, before they are seated in the jackets. Correct?

CC

Nickle
06-17-2013, 05:16 PM
FWIW, back when I was shooting in competition, I went from using Sierra bullets to hand made bullets.

The reason I did, was because the hand made ones are actually better.

Lizard333
06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Just so any newbies know, you're talking about lubing cores before swaging them for size and weight. Then the lube will be cleaned off of the cores and jackets, before they are seated in the jackets. Correct?

CC

This is correct. I clean my swaged cores in acetone. Then I lube my jackets before adding the cores.

Cane_man
06-17-2013, 07:24 PM
plus1 looks fantastic, keep up the good work :guntootsmiley: