PDA

View Full Version : what type of paint to use on front sights ?

deadkelly
06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
i wanta paint my front & rear sight for one of my no1 mk111* lee enfields . it's one of my close in work horses . mostly used in the dark scruby area's & at night with the dogs . because it's so hard to get parts out of the US of A now i'm gonna modify my stock sights as i have a few spares if i wreck em . i was thinking flat white post & white T border on my rear so it should complete the T when all lined up . mmm i hope you's know what i mean . it's a v notch on the rear . it's mainly black pigs i'm after in the dark . maybe white T on rear with hiviz orange on the front post . mmm i'm not sure any tips would be great thanks .

pietro
06-17-2013, 04:22 PM

After experimenting with various commercial paints & even women's nail polish, I've had good luck using BRIGHT SIGHTS orange sight paint on the front (underlaid first with a basecoat of white), and outling the rear sight notch with a thin white line.

http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

BRIGHT SIGHTS, BTW, also makes irridescent/luminescent paint IIRC, which glows dimly for awhile after torching it for a bit with a flashlight.

repawn
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I use jig painting paint - it comes in bright colors as well as white - you can find it nearly any place that sells fishing equipment.

deadkelly
06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
hey thanks guy's . i try these bright sights paints for now . i'm sure i'll get a few dot's outa those bottles :wink:

williamwaco
06-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I find this very durable and zillions of colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_paint

km101
06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Women's nail polish is cheap, durable, comes in zillions of colors, and is available everywhere. No mail order, no waiting. :)

deltaenterprizes
06-18-2013, 07:57 PM
The only thing about the nail polish is the funny looks I get while looking for a color I like! LOL!

deadkelly
06-18-2013, 08:52 PM
hahaha yeah i'd get some looks with my beard to . i'll go & have a look at nail polish 1st just to see . i do have a few auto cans of paints . i just didn't wanta make a mess & all that masking just for a wee quirt .

mt bwana
06-18-2013, 09:00 PM
hot pink nail polish

williamwaco
06-18-2013, 10:04 PM
I tried nail polish.

1960's. It might be better now but back in those days it would not stick.

Carrying it a holster, it would be gone after about three hunts.

Mk42gunner
06-18-2013, 10:21 PM
For night hunting with open sights, (thirty years ago) the best I found was white model paint. I painted the front bead and a single line down from the rear notch.

It worked pretty good on treed coons at night, not so good on rabbits in the snow during daytime.

Robert

country gent
06-18-2013, 10:45 PM
With auto aresol cans put a small squirt on a card and use a tooth pick to transfer where you want it. You need to have everything ready to go as it dosnt take long for the paint to start drying. A card or paper with plastic /wax sealing works good. Think playing cards.

pietro
06-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Whatever is used to color a sight, please be sure to remember to degrease the intended surface with some laquer thinner ( and let it dry/evaporate), before colorization, so whatever will adhere properly.

Jammersix
06-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I use oil painting pens I got at an art store. Fast, easy, switch colors between shots.

plmitch
06-26-2013, 12:44 AM
I use oil painting pens I got at an art store. Fast, easy, switch colors between shots.

That seems like a good idea.