PDA

View Full Version : Bullet line for a newbie - what do you use and why?

mookiie
06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Bullet *lube for a newbie - what do you use and why?

I am really new to casting and have only lubed bullies with the Lee liquid Alox and I wanted to know what is your preferred line and why? Also do use different lubes for certain bullets or one lube for all? I should mention that I cast 500 40 S & W this weekend and have not, at this point, fired a cast bullet yet. Let me know what works and the best way to apply it.
Thanks!

popper
06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Assume you haven't gotten lubrisizer yet, I suggest you look at the powder coat threads. It works.

mookiie
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Correct I have not, I am using the Lee lube sizer die kit. I was looking at a Lyman 4500, but I thought I would wait until I was sure it was necessary/my best option. I am not familiar with powder coating anyone have a good resource?

tg32-20
06-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Mookiie,

I think the easiest way to start out with lubes other than Alox is to go to 45-45 10 recluse, lots of instruction on here. But I must admit that I have not used it on 40 S&W.

Next would be to pan lube, also lots of information available here. I would just order lube from LsStuff.com (see bottom of page).
They are great to deal with and have lubes available for everything you would need it for. If you pan lube I would suggest 50/50 or BAC, it melts easily and sticks to the boolits real well.
There is also information on here regarding using a kake kutter tool that can be made very easily and really helps in removing the boolits from the lube in the pan once it cools.
You then just run them back through your sizer to clean them up or shoot them as cast.

Tom

popper
06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
3 threads in the lube section, different methods, all work. No lead, no smoke, accurate, sort of 'new school' but hey I'm 70. I've stopped the LLA & Recluse. Did I say fancy colors too?

badboyparamedic
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
45/45/10

mookiie
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
3 threads in the lube section, different methods, all work. No lead, no smoke, accurate, sort of 'new school' but hey I'm 70. I've stopped the LLA & Recluse. Did I say fancy colors too?

You are talking about the powder coating method above correct?

Ausglock
06-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Mookiie.
See the "bullets coated in paint" thread regarding my adventures with the 40 S&W using HI-TEK Supercoat.

I was lubesizing with a Lyman450 and Jake's purple Cerasin lube. worked great. but needed heat to flow.

shadowcaster
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Powder coating seems to be the popular item these days. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been hearing good things about it.

If you want simple.. Mix up a batch of 45-45-10. It's much easier to use that straight alox.
As for pan lubing.. there are lots of different very effective recipes out there. There is a whole list of them in the Stickies. Some find pan lubing to be a pain, but I kinda of enjoy this simple process.

I only use these 2 methods and have good success with them.

Shad

dromia
06-18-2013, 02:17 AM
Look to White Label for all your lube needs, they are a Vendor Sponsor here and make a great range of lubes at unbeatable prices.

If you are still tumble lubing then get their version of Recluse's 45/45/10, you will not be dissapointed.

mookiie
06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Powder coating looks cool but I do not really know anything about that. What do you do just coat the bullets in the powder coating and than just bake them in the oven?

dromia
06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Read the threads on the subject there is a lot of information there.

mdi
06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Check the stickies for pan lubing. I have been casting/shooting lead exclusively in 9 handguns for over 18 years and still don't have a lubersizer. I pan lube and dip lube 45-45-10 and it's working for everything from .38 extra light to T-Rex killer .44 magnums I've been using White Label Lubes Carnauba Red, BAC, and home made Speed Green for pan lubing and I recently purchased some 45-45-10 from Lars 'cause I was gettin' too lazy to make my own (his is better than mine anyway).

Pan lubing is only as messy as you are and there are many "styles/methods" to choose from and try. I prefer to set some bullets in a cake pan with melted lube poured around them and then "baked" at 175-200 degrees for 20 minutes or so to get bullet and lube to the same temp. so lube sticks to the bullet better.

dragon813gt
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
I use White Label's 2500+. It works in everything from low pressure low velocity rounds in 45acp up to full power rifle rounds. I settled on it because of the climate I live in. I don't want to deal w/ messy lubes when it's over 90 degrees. And I only need a heater to apply it in the dead if winter. It's not a fancy color. But it's worked in every firearm from 10 degrees to pushing 100.