PDA

View Full Version : 357 vaquero

jhammer
06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
I love my 357 sp101 and my single six and i am thinking about adding a vaquero in 357. The gun I am looking at is a 4 5/8" barrel model and what i am wondering about is the sight regulation on the vaquero. The sp101 has been a joy to hand load for, my 158gr lswc loads hit right on top of the front sight at 25 yards so i suppose that i am hoping to find something similar in the vaquero. Are these sights set more for the light/mild loads or are they designed more for the 357 magnum?

jhammer

LAH
06-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the board but I have no answer about the sights.

jhammer
06-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Just curious. Thanks for your response.

jmort
06-18-2013, 09:47 PM
I had both new and old Vaqueros and a 3" SP101 for that matter, and all seemed to shoot to point of aim with a 158 grain SWC. You should love the New Vaquero, perfect dimensions in my opinion.

junkpile
06-18-2013, 11:06 PM
They're geared towards the CAS crowd. To me that would indicate lighter loads. I just picked one up, but haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet, so can't really speak from experience. I plan on running hunting loads through it.

Firebricker
06-19-2013, 12:19 AM
I had an old model vaquero in .357 it had enough front site for 158gr now I don't know about the new vaqueros they very well could have lowered the front sight. I'm guessing here but I think Ruger is still going with fixed sights that are geared to full power loads then if your shooting real light loads exclusively you can always file it down. FB

jhammer
06-20-2013, 07:03 PM
This is what I was hoping to hear thanks guys. I like the looks looks of the new vaquero and the blackhawks I have looked at seem a bit bulky for a 357. I know the sights are adjustable on the blackhawk but after thousands of rounds on my single six without adjusting my sights I could do without the bulk. The gun will manly be for plinking and pest control around the cabin. Love these rugers

Jhammer

junkpile
06-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I went through a lot of back-and-forth between the Blackhawk and Vaquero, just couldn't decide which I wanted. I ended up having to compromise, and now have both. The Blackhawk is a little big and chunky, but it sure does shoot good. I don't regret getting it. It's my favorite cartridge gun currently.