PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Re-lining for 45-70 Trapdoor?

GMW
06-16-2013, 06:38 PM
I have a origional Springfield Trapdoor that has rifleing all the way from breech to muzzle, however, due to years of neglect,
I can't get it to shoot a decent group with various loadings. I only shoot holy black through her and I would like her to shine in military cast rifle shoots. Is barrel re-lining a possibility or continue to try to clean up the existing bore. I am 60 years old and I don't want to spend the remainder of my good years scrubbing a possible lost cause.
Thanks

Bullshop
06-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Most TD barrels run well on the high side of .460" groove diameter. If you are shooting hard under size boolits that is most likely the problem. I have seen TD rifles with barely visible rifling shoot well with very soft boolits.
Try pure lead or not more than BHN-8 alloy and start as close to actual groove diameter as you can get.
Paper patching is also an option but will still require the soft alloy.

GMW
06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm shooting the Saeco 1881 Government bullet, sized at .459 of pure lead. My load is 66 of Goex 2F Express. Not getting great results.
Any suggestions?

nhrifle
06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Slug that barrel so you know where to start. Shooting boolits a bit bigger than normal may still be undersize for your bore. I also second the bit about paper patching.

Bullshop
06-16-2013, 10:30 PM
What are you using for lube? Hard fouling could be an issue. With pure lead and a decent charge of BP even very undersize boolits should shoot well of there is not another problem with the gun.
Other problems could be worn or damaged muzzle, or a bulged barrel.

junkbug
06-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Track of the Wolf carries barrel liners, which are priced by the inch. They have one specifically for the Trapdoor Springfield. I am considering one for mine, since mine has a chamber with a bulge in it, and I have to use a small screwdriver to complete case extraction after the extractor moves it about 1/4".

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/2

Good luck with your decision.

johnson1942
06-16-2013, 11:48 PM
nhrifle is right, slug the bore, some are well over .460. if you get the right size bullet and do every thing else right i bet it would drive tacks. if you go paperpatch, slug for that also, and go 8 thousands smaller in a fairly soft bullet and double wrap with number 9 paper. that would just fit up in the bore and bump up real nice. it could turn out way more accurate then it ever was ment to be.

texasmac
06-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Check out this article

http://www.texas-mac.com/Relining_a_Springfield_Trapdoor_Rifle_Barrel.html

Wayne

varsity07840
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm shooting the Saeco 1881 Government bullet, sized at .459 of pure lead. My load is 66 of Goex 2F Express. Not getting great results.
Any suggestions?

Are you casting them yourself? If so, what size are they out of the mould? You may want to try them as cast. As far as slugging the bore goes, getting an accurate measurement on slug from a 3 groove bore can be a problem. You may have to take to a machince shop that has an anvil micrometer.