PDA

View Full Version : Shooting under the house

gunoil
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
What are the neighborhood laws on shooting under the house. I could stand under my house in one area. There is already a mound of dirt. I have smoke fans. I been trying to paper design a 4 or 5 yard single plink range for testing. I have steel plate and that foot thick foam can be bought at builders supply.

Can ya guys throw in some ideas? It would be a foam room under house or something like that. It can be done with planning. neighbors cool on that side of house. I still rather spend the money and do it rite.

Though about buying guard booth (parking lot booth) at salvage, then take a glass out for down range, then foot thick foam forward to dirt mound. Sweden has a national shoot day for everybody, they had a 5 foot tube (laying down horizontal) with sound foam on the inside to help absorb the noise. The barrel was in that area.

Web site and some ideas:
http://www.702shooter.com/press-releases/building-machine-gun-range-mgv-pt-1/

gnoahhh
06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Pretty open-ended question, as the laws concerning such things varies all over the map. Here where I live it is categorically illegal- you're still discharging a firearm within the community.

Artful
06-16-2013, 11:09 AM
AZ law can't discharge withing 1/4 mile of a occupied building without zoning clearance and licencing.
Best to consult a GOOD local lawyer first before buying materials.

jmorris
06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I have a range in my back yard but would never build one under my house. I quit shooting indoors at all except for a few sanctioned matches about 10 years ago due to high lead levels in my blood.

The only reason i can think of to shoot under your house would be if it were illegal to shoot outside of your house. Bad idea, if you ask me.

Reg
06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a newspaper headline waiting to happen.

gunoil
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Oh well, its interesting, maybe if i move one day I will know how to do it. Thanks.

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2013, 12:19 PM
A man I knew made an area in his basement into a shooting space. I can tell you it is a shocking event being upstairs and someone touching off a .357 mag. under your feet with no advance warning. Sound deadening would be a must as is ventilation. A check with your local law enforcement would be a good place to start.Robert

gunoil
06-16-2013, 01:32 PM
My glock smith live out in a nice neighborhood just out side city limits. Pretty big lots, and if your out in back yard , it just sounds like somebody hammering, really not that noticeable during the day. He has a dirt berm too. Well, i may move one day, who knows.

Dutchman
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Long ago and far away... 1968 to be exact and SoCalif in the San Fernando Valley... I knew this fellow who said, "hey come here and see this". Out behind his garage was a tunnel going underneath his garage and made a right turn. Ended up in a small chamber under his living room. He pulls out his S&W Model 60 and lets one rip. Wasn't as loud as you might imagine due to the deadening effect of the raw earth. He used this little chamber to test handloads and what else I don't know. When he moved he filled in the hole as best he could.

Whether it was legal or not was never an issue. Of course it wasn't legal. Few things that are fun are legal. Some things you do despite the legalities.

Dutch

Cane_man
06-16-2013, 09:52 PM
most cities have a law about discharging firearms within city limits...

gunoil
06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Thats a great one dutchman. It could be done that way. I miss california. Well with ss check and travel home i'll be back. If ya aint cheatin ya aint trying? huh.

Artful
06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
to Parallel Dutchman's story there was a house for sale down in Tucson AZ , and one of the selling points was a 50 yard underground range.
Only problem was no zoning and no building permit - range was put in back in the 30's or 40's as I recall the article - City seemed to get a bit upset when the original owner had passed and the estate went up for sale

jaystuw
06-17-2013, 11:26 PM
I remember over 40 years ago going to pony express gun shop in the san fernando valley on weekends, it was always packed with alot of serious gun guys. I would not be surprised if there was alot more abandoned shooting ranges under houses in the valley. jay

Dutchman
06-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I remember over 40 years ago going to pony express gun shop in the san fernando valley on weekends, it was always packed with alot of serious gun guys. I would not be surprised if there was alot more abandoned shooting ranges under houses in the valley. jay

At the corner of Ventura Blvd & Encino Ave. was a Union Oil station.... in 1968. I worked there. Pony Express was one door from the corner. There was a karate studio on the corner. Jack Webb lived behind the gas station. Dick Van Dyke and Efrem Zimbalist lived up Encino Ave. It was a fun neighborhood in 1968. The first gun I bought at Pony Express was a Webley Mk1 in 1966 for $25 (my dad bought it as I was 15). In 1969 I bought my second Swedish Mauser there for $65. Still have it. Saw Slim Pickens in there one time buying a nice Sharps rifle.

Bought cast bullets there for my Great Western .44 - 235gr SWC 250 at a time. Also bought hard ingots there. I did as much business there as my paltry wages could support. In 1968 that was $1.50/hour pumping gas. I do recall gas was 23 cents a gallon.

Dutch

jaystuw
06-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Hi dutch, You did indeed live in a fun neighborhood, and working steps from pony express must of been heaven for a gun guy! I started a little later than you. I first discovered pony express about 1969,and from then on I was a regular customer.For a kid with little exposure to firearms, pony express was quite an experience for me. I loved the place! I can still remember the layout like it was yesterday, and every gun that i wanted but didn't buy. Like you, I did alot of business there, but could only afford a fraction of what i wanted.I think it would be accurate to say that My interest in gun collecting, reloading, shooting ect. started that first time i stepped thru the doors of pony express! jay

Dutchman
06-20-2013, 02:36 AM
and working steps from pony express must of been heaven for a gun guy!

In 1968 I was in 11th grade at Reseda HS. I worked 3 days after school to closing at 10pm, saturday 12pm-12am and sunday 10am-10pm, 12 hour days. In 1968 I also had my first girlfriend.. since I had a job, a car and $$$. Between school and working there was precious little time for gun stores. But it was painful to sit there on saturdays for 12 hours kitty corner from Pony Express and watch everybody else go in and out. They were closed by the time I was off.

Dutch

nekshot
06-20-2013, 01:00 PM
if someone is really committed to building a silent room, look into a product called homosote. It comes in 4x8x1/2 inch panels. Years ago we did a lot of studio musician remods and we could soak up the heavy bass amps with this stuff. It isn't cheap but you can stand outside the building and never know what is going on inside.
nekshot