PDA

View Full Version : Plain Base Gas Checks

closebutnocigar
06-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Dear Friends,

Iīm a german "CB" hunter / shooter and would like to ask a question.

My favourite catridges are the 45-70 (Ruger N.1 and Marlin 1895) and the 9,3*74 R (Valmet 412).

I like to use the "Gould" style hollowpoint hunting bullet but I would like to shoot it at higher velocities.

I though about a custom mould with a gas check shank but until today I couldnīt find a maker for this mould.

Why not use PB Gas Checks, Pat Martin sells a checkmaker.

But I have no experience with these checkmaker and I donīt know if or if not the PB gas checks will do what I want.

Please, can someone tell me where one can BUY a number of PB gas check to test them?

Thank you very much.

Taylor
06-16-2013, 08:40 AM
The only pb check maker I have is a 35cal/9mm.I don.know if thats any help.

longbow
06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I have asked the same question and so far not gotten an answer for max velocities in rifles. They do seem to work well for handgun velocities, I am just not sure about higher velocities.

In my case, I am thinking for .303 British at velocities to maybe 2000 FPS. Regular gas checked boolits should do that with a bit of work however, I would like to use PB boolits with PB checks for higher velocities.

I used to shoot the Lyman 457124 (385 grs. & PB) in my 1895 Marlin using "J" bullet data from my Hornady manual with no problems. I also had a longer barreled Siamese Mauser converted to .45-70 that leaded in the last few inches of barrel with the same load and solved that by working up a load with filler but that is a whole other subject.

Not sure about the Gould 330 gr. PB but I suspect with good boolit fit and correct hardness you will be able to reach "J" bullet velocities or at least very close. How fast have you pushed them? Are you having problems with the PB boolit now?

If you get some .45 cal PB checks and test them, please post results. I would be interested for sure.

If they do not work for you and you want to go standard gas check shank mould(s), have you looked at Accurate Molds?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=10

If Tom doesn't have what you want he will make it. If you want a clone of the Lyman Gould 330 gr. with GC he will make that for you. He does not do hollow point though. The mould can be hollow pointed afterwards but of course there is a cost to that.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Longbow

fcvan
06-16-2013, 11:53 AM
closebutnocigar, PM sent