PDA

View Full Version : recomend a chronograph

Matt85
06-16-2013, 04:54 AM
I need a chronograph to help with load development but reading the reviews on most are pretty negative. I shoot mostly black powder but I do shoot some smokeless and ive heard black powder smoke/gas can mess with chronograph readings. can you recommend a good chronograph?

thanks
-Matt

Lloyd Smale
06-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Ohler is hands down the best but you pay for them! Ive had chronys and think there junk. I have a pact now and thought it was ok (just ok) but it crapped out and is back for repair so id hate to recomend them either. My buddy has one of the cheap rcbs bullet chornys and he uses it for a backup for quick work instead of his ohler and swears by it. Its cheaply made and you about have to tape the screans together but ive found that with most chronographs under 200 bucks and ive used his rcbs and it gives accurate readings every time and works in more differnt light conditions then even my pact does.

375RUGER
06-16-2013, 09:29 AM
I've had a PACT Model 1 since 1994 and only concern myself with 2 things when setting it up. 1) don't let the sun shine directly on sensor 2) when shooting anything that holds more than 50g of powder-set it about 17 feet away from the muzzle.
I've never had the trouble with black powder that you mention. By the time the smoke reaches the unit the projectile is already past. Maybe folks just put the chrono too close to the muzzle.

warpspeed
06-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Oehler Research is the best but also the most expensive.

Chrony makes an OK unit.

CED or Competitive Edge Dynamics makes a good unit.

My preference is the Competition Electrronics ProChrono Digital. Price is very close to Chrony but performs much better.

gofastman
06-16-2013, 11:14 AM
My preference is the Competition Electrronics ProChrono Digital. Price is very close to Chrony but performs much better.

I strongly agree! :goodpost:

I had a chrony and didnt like it at all, my prochrono digital is much, much better

Maven
06-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I have 2 Shooting Chronys (the red F-1's) and have used them for almost 20 yrs. Although they're not Oehler quality, they ARE reliable if you understand their quirks. First, even with the diffusers, they don't read velocity when the sun is directly overhead. The remedy is to tilt your tripod head (with Chrony attached) AWAY from the sun, which makes the shooting window a bit odd. Second, the diffusers and their mount are too flimsy for my taste, but workable. Third, you're supposed to position the Chrony at least 10' from the muzzle, which should eliminate the problem of erroneous readings due to smoke. I think I'd move it out to 15' in deference to patches and wads. Btw, I recently chronographed some BP loads in my Ruger SBH with the device 10' from the muzzle and had no difficulties with it reading correctly.

RobsTV
06-16-2013, 01:46 PM
I strongly agree! :goodpost:

I had a chrony and didnt like it at all, my prochrono digital is much, much better

+3
It just works.

hermans
06-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Oehler is without a doubt the best, do not know if you get buy them anymore. Have designed and built my own chronograph many years ago, based on the Oehler design. I have used the CED M2 at our IPSC matches, and it is ok for the price. Many fellow shooters have over the years given me their Chrony's to fix, but they are simply not well designed, and are very cheaply made.
So if you want to use a cheap chronograph, just to get an rough idea of your MV, the Chrony could do, if you have a lot of patience. If you are looking for an accurate, consistent chronograph for serious load development, go for something like the CED M2 with IR sensors placed in a coffin type box.

PbHurler
06-16-2013, 04:33 PM
In my opinion, if you're in it for the long haul, you can't beat an Oehler. They are back in production of the 35P model (what I own). They are expensive, but with their reputation, support & expertise they're worth it. I only shoot smokeless so I can't comment about black powder. I set the start screen of mine at 10' from the muzzle for .223 through 45/70's, 7' for handguns. Oh, and they will check arrow speeds as well quite easily.

The large screen areas all but eliminate the chance of shooting the opticals when you pay attention to your setup. I've owned my first 35P for about 25 years, I did send the printer back to be refurbished 3-4 years ago, the rollers that feed the paper had dried out and shrunk in diameter so it wouldnt feed the paper. The printer is not necessary for operation. This was before Oehler resumed production of the 35P which is within the last 5 years or so.

I'm sure happy with the Oehler's, I think you would be too. I've not owned or used any other types, so I can't comment on other manufacturers' units.

Good luck with your purchase.

wch
06-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Oehler Research is the best but also the most expensive.

Chrony makes an OK unit.

CED or Competitive Edge Dynamics makes a good unit.

+1 for me!

warpspeed
06-17-2013, 12:35 AM
I have a Chrony. I use it as a loaner when someone asks to borrow my chronograph. If they kill it, I'm not going to cry.

I had an Oehler. It was the cats pajamas. I sold it back when they stopped making them for awhile and wished I hadn't.

The ProChrono has been very dependable for me thus far and I have used it for shotgun shells more than anything else. I know it is not exactly BP but it has worked well for me.

BRobertson
06-17-2013, 02:07 AM
I have one of the new Magnetospeed chronos

It works great so far,

My PACT has always been finicky about the light conditions, the Magnetospeed does not use optics for sensing, so can be used in

complete darkness.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2013, 05:59 AM
I just checked out the manetospeed. Looks pretty neat but i have to wonder how it would do on something like a 500 linebaugh handgun. I wonder if it would take the recoil very long.

BRobertson
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
The unit itself will take about anything, I have used it on my two Freedom .454s, !0" and 7". They seem to have a sharper, faster recoil affect that either my .500 Linebaugh, or the .475 Linebaugh that I had in the 80s. (One of the first that John made)
Initially , the strap that holds the sensor on the barrel would slip and slide, no matter how tight you got it.

I coated the strap with some of the rubber coating that you dip tool handles into, and I also apply double sided tape to the

barrel. Either mod will probably take care of it, but I over do everything!!!

I advised the company of the problem, and my solution. I don't know if they have made any changes, however it is a very

easy upgrade.

All things considered, so far I like it better than any chrono I have ever used, by far!!!

Bob

Lloyd Smale
06-18-2013, 08:00 AM
thanks bob. Thats the advice i needed. Maybe ill have to spring for one soon. Sure am tired of unreliable chrongraphs.

BRobertson
06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
That is where I was at when I was looking for a new chrono.
I discovered this one on SnipersHide and it was very well thought of by those folks. Of course they are rifle shooters, and there wasn't much info on using it for handguns.

Now, they have some photos on the Magnetospeed web site that show how to use it on revolvers, and how to place the strap relative
to the extractor rod housing.

Auto loaders(handguns) are a problem, however there has been talk about a bracket for mounting the sensor housing on the frame.

I am only into revolvers, so it is not an issue for me.

I have used it down to 5 degrees air temp with no issues. Someone in Fairbanks had an issue with the screen freezing up, however the
unit still records the shots and will display when it is warmed.

Bob

Sensai
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
I too have the Magnetospeed and have used my Chrony Beta Master very little since I got the Magnetospeed. It's so handy being able to set it up and take readings within seconds. Not to mention the problem of shooting the chrony or having to go past the firing line to set-up and adjust. I did a test of the same loads over both and the readings were the same once the difference in measurement distance was factored in.

Herb in Pa
09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Another vote for the Magnetospeed chrono, simple to set up and use..............

Artful
09-10-2013, 12:51 AM
I have a chrony but my buddy just bought the Magnetospeed and if I buy another (don't shoot my chrony bro!) it will be the Magnetospeed.

HABCAN
09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I've had my PACT Pro for about 20 yrs. It works fine, does everything I ask of it. Most fun is playing ballistic computer 'what if', inputting different weights or velocities to see trajectory effects, then going to the loading manuals to see if it can be 'done'. Often it can, and saves a lot of time developing loads, which can then be shot over it to check them out.

Lead Fred
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Ive used an F-1 for a decade now. Only problems Ive had were:

The face plate blew off

The battery died after 7 years use

09-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I've owned 2 chronographs a Oehler 33 and an Oehler 35P. I've never had a problem with either one.