PDA

View Full Version : My first 1911

Jim
06-15-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm 60 years old and just now getting my first 1911. Nothin' fancy or expensive, just a Rock Island midsize milspec. I like it, though, and it fits me. I'd say that's all that counts.

I've got a set of milspec panels coming. I'll be looking for a coupla' milspec magazines and I'll be set.

Tatume
06-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi Jim,

My 1911 automatics are my favorite handguns. Although I'm partial to the full-sized government model, my favorite carry gun is a CCO (Officer's ACP frame and Commander barrel/slide). I think you'll be happy with yours.

The eight round magazines are an improvement over the mil spec seven rounders. You should try at least one, I think you'll like them. I use Chip McCormick mags, and like them very much.

Take care, Tom

Scharfschuetze
06-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Good on you Jim. I think that you will wish that you had bought one 40 years ago. They're easy to reload for, pretty reliable depending on your feed ramp, boolit style and magazines and can be very accurate.

Lights
06-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Jim,

I like my RIA 1911 Tac II FS. It will eat anything you throw down the tube. I have yet to have one FTF or FTE in mine. Plus if you ever need to send it back to Armscor/RIA they will pay for everything including shipping both way's. They have a true lifetime warranty. Not your lifetime or the next owners if you sell it. But for the lifetime of the gun.

I really like the mags that come with the gun. Armscor sells them for like $17.00 each.

theperfessor
06-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Good for you! Everybody needs at least one 1911 in .45 caliber. I've got two, and I like them both.

And I don't hot rod them, they are more than adequate for what they were designed to do with factory/military spec loads.

Enjoy, they're a ball to shoot, a little less fun to pick up brass as you get older.

Gunslinger1911
06-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Never too late to become a follower of Col Cooper !!! Rock Islands are a great buy ! I have a couple.

Next thing you'll be talking double taps, hammers, poo pooing 9mm as a poodle shooter, and talking in the royal "we".

camaro1st
06-15-2013, 09:50 PM
you will love it!!!

DougGuy
06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Good choice, Jim. I have owned and built my share of 1911s and the one I liked the most was a plain jane commander upper on a Caspian frame with WWI wide spur hammer and WWII grip safety, no bells and whistles, no extended this and that, if just worked and carried well.

Buy the -best- magazines you can find. Don't stick to the GI issue mags. Metalform, Meggar, my old time favs, Wolff springs mandatory. There are other good mags also, whatever your pistol functions best with.

waksupi
06-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Bought a 1911? You must have gained some more IQ points hanging out here! I always told people, now, there goes a smart man.

MtGun44
06-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Good move! A 100+ year old design that is produced by more than 20 companies is an amazing
thing. JB got it really right.

Bill

KYCaster
06-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Oooooohh, now you've started down the slippery slope!

Be sure to show us pix of the new ones you get.

Oh.....save those blonde grip panels....they'll look great on the stainless gun you'll get.

Jerry

idahoron
06-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Be sure to show us pix of the new ones you get.

Oh.....save those blonde grip panels....they'll look great on the stainless gun you'll get.

Jerry

You mean the one with the beaver tail and night sights?

Love Life
06-16-2013, 01:54 AM
I have an off and on love affair with the 1911. They are just sooooooo boringly accurate, reliable, and hard hitting. No challenge in them what so ever. Of course that is what they were designed to be.

I like your new pistol. It has everything you need, and nothing you don't. I sent you a PM.

missionary5155
06-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Good morning
Good for you Jim ! Nutten like U.S.G.I. to pack about !
My first was issued at Ft. Hood , Texas at 3-66 Armor. My next was the best of the two at 5-68 Armor in Veirhiem, West Germany.
Happily that was just the beginning of a continuing friendship. My favorite is a 1943 Remington Rand that jumped at me 15 years ago so I had to latch on to it .
Mike in Peru

nightal
06-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Good for you Jim, I have 6 RIA pistols, I just bought a 10mm. last month, hope you enjoy yours, the next thing you know you will be looking for better sights for it.maybe I will see your post n the 1911.com site they have a separate forum for the RIA Armscor pistols....good luck.......nightal.:grin:

prsman23
06-16-2013, 12:21 PM
They are a little on the spendy side of things but try to get your hands on a Wilson combat ETM mag. You will be surprised how much of a difference it will make just inserting the mag. Worth the money IMHO

blademasterii
06-16-2013, 07:09 PM
I just picked up a RIA compact tactical myself last week. I shot it just to function test it, shoots 2in low at 7 yards. Getting ready to give it a fluff and buff. Get rid of the sharp edges and machining marks. Does yours leave dents in the side of the case?

Love Life
06-16-2013, 11:58 PM
The Wilson service plus magazines are the bee's knees!!! 7 rds, flush floor plate, flawless feeding and function. Cheaper than Colt stamped magazines as well...

Scharfschuetze
06-17-2013, 01:11 AM
BlademasterII,

1. Does your Compact RIA have a relieved ejection port like a Colt Gold Cup or is it the standard port as in the GI 1911? The standard ejection ports often will dent the case upon ejection. The relieved ports found on many 45s often eject without marring the cases in any significant way. Gunsmiths used to make a pretty penny relieving ejection ports on GI slides.

2. Are you satisfied with the 2" low zero at 7 yards? At 14 yards it would be 4" low and at 28 yards would 8" low and would continue to drop at further ranges. While not significant for a short range combat handgun, you might find it annoying for extended range target shooting. You probably know that you can often correct a low zero by using a heavier bullet. If you are already using a heavy bullet and want to raise the zero, as you know, you can take some metal off the top of the front sight.

I did some quick math and assuming that your sight radius is 6 inches you could take .014" off the top of the sight to zero it up or you could just get a taller rear sight that is .014" higher.

Hickory
06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm a revolver person, BUT not having a 1911 is like not having two arms or two legs.
I like mine. And there is no reason to hotrod a 1911, function matters most.

Murphy
06-17-2013, 07:34 AM
What Hichory said.....

2 handguns I simply feel I must always have available to me. A 1911 and a .357 Magnum (preferably a S&W).

I'll warn you up front, careful. Them 1911's can become an addiction all their own. Shoot it and get comfortable with it, and you'll understand what Hickory and I are sayin'.

Murphy

Clay M
06-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I am a 1911 aficionado. The plastic guns just don't do it for me, although I do keep an M&P loaded on the nightstand. Mainly because I know it is not going to jam, and it holds fifteen shots .Enjoy your 1911.They are fun to cast and load for.
They can be as accurate as you want them to be.

beppe
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
has anyone ever used a 1911 nornco? I found one on the cheap, but I have no review.

qualcuno ha mai usato una 1911 nornco ? ne ho trovata una a poco prezzo , ma non ho nessuna recensione .

bruce drake
06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Jim,

Glad to see that great minds think alike. I own 2 full-size RIA 1911 Govt. Models. One in the sainted 45ACP and the other is setup for switch-barrel performance in 9mm Luger/38 Super. I find it hard to decide which of the 3 calibers I like more to shoot out of that model of pistol. My next setup will be to configure my 45ACP into a 45ACP/.400 Corbon switch-barrel setup.

Bruce

Jim
06-17-2013, 06:44 PM
This will very likely be my last handgun. A friend is sending some brass and a mold, so I will be shooting it. It will, however, be carried many thousands of hours more than it will be fired.

Clay M
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
It will, however, be carried many thousands of hours more than it will be fired.

Just be sure you shoot it enough to know that it is reliable.The 1911 is like an extension of my hand ,because that is what I have shot for the last thirty years.

TCLouis
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Jim

Nice looking piece of hardware lyin' there.

I came across one and it followed me home. Sure hard to used to funny things like a safety, and magazines . . .

Who woulda guessed you would need such things on a handgun?

Heck i am used to a gun where you just open up the cylinder pop 6 rounds in and it is ready to go for whatever.

IF I can get a couple of thousand rounds down the tube it might begin to feel sorta "Natural" in my hand.

So far mine digests hardball and the old Lee 195 SWC with light and medium heavy loads without a hiccup.

DougGuy
06-18-2013, 01:08 AM
I carried a Colt Commander for many years in Virginia, wore holes in 3 car seats with it, pulled it on a crackhead with a knife at my motel room door, pulled it on two different guys who assailed my car at different times, one in the turn lane of a red light in DC of all frikkin places, guess he thought I was stuck at the light and couldn't do nothing. Mmmm right. 3 times lucky, 3 times got through it without firing a shot.

The one thing I would say to a CCW holder in VA or NC, prolly the other states too, is do NOT carry handloads on the street.. There are courts that will utterly villify the most law abiding citizen in the world and that my friend, is a huge liability that they will not fail to sieze upon and make a spectacle out of, in front of a jury..

Buy some good defensive ammo, some 230gr +P hollowpoints, carry those, shoot the cast at the range.

ErikO
06-18-2013, 01:46 AM
I've got it's Para Ordnance LTC distant cousin on layaway which should be in my mitts by August 20. My second 1911 will be either the RIA Tactical or the RIA 2011, not sure if I want the rail or not.

eljefe
06-18-2013, 07:03 AM
has anyone ever used a 1911 nornco? I found one on the cheap, but I have no review.

qualcuno ha mai usato una 1911 nornco ? ne ho trovata una a poco prezzo , ma non ho nessuna recensione .

The Norinco is a fine pistol, made in China and therefore
no longer importable into the USA.

Jim
06-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Just be sure you shoot it enough to know that it is reliable.....

Oh, for sure! I had no intention of just loading it and carrying it. A very good friend is sending me a set of milspec panels, a mold and a bunch of brass.

Having never owned a 1911, I've got a lot of shooting to do to get familiar and comfortable with it.:Fire:

theperfessor
06-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Not to cause a thread drift here, and you should carry what you have confidence in, but how many times does the "don't carry hand loads for self defense" myth have to be put to bed?

If its a righteous shoot it won't matter, if it's not, it won't matter either!

Jim
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Not to cause a thread drift here, and you should carry what you have confidence in, but how many times does the "don't carry hand loads for self defense" myth have to be put to bed?

If its a righteous shoot it won't matter, if it's not, it won't matter either!

I saw DougGuy's comment. To be fair and in defense of the gentleman, he's only been with us a coupla' months. I'm sure he doesn't know this has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum.

Doug, this started several years back when Massad Ayoob wrote a book on self defense. He stated that using handloads could result in that being brought up by the DA or the counselor for the plaintiff in a civil suit.

Many attempts were made to contact Mr. Ayoob asking for the facts on which he based his statements. To my knowledge and as best my memory serves me, no one ever got a response from him.

Furthermore, while a very long thread on this subject was active, many people went looking for documentation on court cases where the use of handloads was brought up. Again, to the best of my memory, the closest thing found concerned the choice of calibers, not handloads.

Others also researched state statutes looking for restrictions or laws forbidding the use of handloads in a self defense situation. I don't remember anyone finding anything.

The idea that using handloads will cause problems is a myth that has never been proven. Honestly, the only reason I have posted on this is because 'ThePerfesser' did and I have a lot of respect for the gentleman.

Just because I started this thread does not mean I have any authority here. I would, however, respectfully ask that this subject either be dropped or started somewhere else. Honestly, I hope that doesn't happen either.

DougGuy
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Advice taken..

I can however report from firsthand experience what they did to me for a condition one carry in NC. I got stopped with the previously mentioned Commander laying in the front seat. The officer said it was concealed. He claimed that when I stopped, the shirt that HE found covering the weapon, MUST have been laying in the seat and just happened to fall over enough to cover the pistol as I applied the brakes. Since he was obviously going out of his way to insure he won his conviction and earn him some brownie points, he charged me with carrying it concealed. That alone, gave him probable cause to do whatever he wanted after that. He hauled me to the station, said I had the right to call an attorney to be present when he administered the breathalyzer. After using up over 20mins of the 30mins allotted by law to call an attorney, and getting some numbers that were no longer in service, I noticed the phone book was 19yrs old! At 27mins in, they produced another phone book, this one 8yrs old. At the end of 30mins, I explained to him that he had willfully violated my civil rights and that I would not be agreeing to further assist him in his less than legal efforts by submitting to a breathalyzer.

Since I could call my boss and let him know I would not be coming in to work, we had a few words about the big boss and just casual construction worker talk, no big deal, I made an offhand comment about somebody needs to stick a knife in his back and show him the same treatment he had been doing to everybody else on the job with his backstabbing bullsh*t. Buddy, when that got to court, I was out to go on a shooting rampage, had my gun loaded and ready to kill somebody, had the hammer cocked and was just tearing down the highway in NC looking for somebody to kill! I couldn't believe how they trumped this up out of thin air and some of the sh*t that came out of his mouth and went into evidence!

The officer lied again and again and again, claimed he administered field sobriety tests 3x and I failed them 3x when the truth is he never gave it once, said I had a STRONG odor of alcohol (even though I was going to work, like I am going to walk into a jobsite hammered, ya right), said I staggered and had to lean on my vehicle for support when walking back to his trooper car. The DA and the state trooper have this memorized, you can barely get a word in edgewise once they get their dialog and statements of evidence going. It's almost hilarious, like a bad 70s sitcom. Had a really tough time even getting a lawyer to take my case, the NC state police are tight knit, invincible in court, and you will NOT WIN your case if you fall victim to the same trap I fell into. My lawyer wouldn't even bring up the 20th century phone books in court, he sucked just about as bad as the trooper. They probably golf buddies, which is where much of the real litigation occurs from what I hear. Had I appealed the decision, based on violation of my civil rights, I could have won that but the word came down to me that if you think this was a railroad job, you ain't seen NOTHING like presenting it in front of a jury, and if I "troubled" the court there and didn't win, I would do 6 months to a year for the concealed charge.

It's a poor county there, no manufacturing, most of the residents are on welfare, no business infrastructure, the only income the county has, comes from forcible extortion of hapless motorists like me. The lawyers call the area there "East of Jesus." And since they all have to depend on each other for income, neither will do anything to take money out of the county coffers by letting an outsider win in court. I won't even journey to that side of the state anymore. US rt17 corridor from Virginia down to Wilmington.

In the end, the judge ordered my Commander destroyed, I fully believe that actually happened. Yeah. Right. Wouldn't surprise me to see the upper for sale on ebay or learn it is in the arresting officer's possession permanently.

I was a VA resident with a VA license and tag when that went down, and was just moving to NC. I still live in NC, safely far enough away from the 17 corridor and the corrupt state trooper's district, and my edc is now a striker fired Kahr instead of another decent and expensive 1911. We vacation in the mountains of NC and VA, as opposed to the Eastern side of NC and the outer banks.

Let me apologize for the rant. This is the exact kind of situation I am referring to, aside from any argument against handloads from one Mr. Ayoob. I have read a bunch of his stories, but at least this one came first hand and not from the gun rags. Sadly, the Politics Of Podunk is still alive and well in the US.

Respectfully, back to topic.. I am sure you will enjoy your RIA. I would. You are a well spoken writer and I enjoy your posts.. Thank you for filling me in..

Changeling
06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm a revolver person, BUT not having a 1911 is like not having two arms or two legs.
I like mine. And there is no reason to hotrod a 1911, function matters most.

Hi Hickory.
That was an awesome decription!! In fact it was so inspiring to me that I have decided to buy one. I've actually thought about it off and on for a long time, but never followed through.
I have a Belgian made 9mm Browning that I am going to sell and then start looking for a .45.
Probably should add that I know nothing about .45's really.

theperfessor
06-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Jim - I apologize for the thread drift, not trying to get topic away from your new 1911. But the "no hand loads for self defense" notion comes up like a bad burrito from time to time and since this forum is devoted to truth I just wanted to say something about it.

DougGuy - wasn't trying to poke at you or make fun of your idea, sounds like you had a really bad experience with the legal system. But as I said, and as Jim concurred, there have been several threads here concerning this issue and no one has found a case in American law where hand loads used in a self defense scenario caused any legal issues.

Jim, if you would like some free boolits for your new gun let me know, I'll be glad to send you some to try. I have several styles and weights I'd be glad to share.

Again my apologies to all, nothing personal.

waksupi
06-18-2013, 08:14 PM
If I got in a shooting scrape, and investigators searched my home, I think it would be much more damning to have a partial box of the latest factory zombie killers, and everything else here is cast boolits. "Splain dat one, Lucy!

mountainman
06-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Way to go I have had 4 different 1911's and I loved them the first 2 I sold to get something else and I was always kicking my self for it. The othe two I just bought last week. A remington and a taurus. You will love it.

Jim
06-19-2013, 07:43 AM
No apologies are expected and none are required. I'm not the least bit upset or offended by anyone. On the contrary, I was impressed with how the dialog was conducted.

warboar_21
06-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Congrats on the 1911. They are my favorite handguns that I own.

warf73
06-20-2013, 06:27 AM
I think it would be much more damning to have a partial box of the latest factory zombie killers, and everything else here is cast boolits. "Splain dat one, Lucy!

I don't buy this anymore than using reloads is damming.If its a clean shoot it doesn't matter what color the bullet is that killed them, may it be gray(cast boolit), silver tip, red tipped, green tipped or flying ash trash (aka gold dot).

warf73
06-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Great looking 1911, should be a great CC gun for many years to come.

prs
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice new tool! I got my first one at age 58 and have two now before I turn 59 next week. I have had lots of fun shooting them and they really do shoot well! I did not think I would ever be able to shoot a pistol that well off hand, single handed with either hand or one in each hand! Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Enjoy. Hope you can find ammo and components to load for it.

prs

Jim
06-20-2013, 03:48 PM
..... Hope you can find ammo and components to load for it. prs

Got a mold and a sack of brass on the way. Plenty of powder and primers ready to go.

1500FPS
06-20-2013, 04:00 PM
I've read a lot of good things about the RIA. You're going to have plenty of fun.

NoZombies
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Congrats Jim!

If you're gonna shoot a bottom feeder, a 1911 is a great way to do it.

Moonie
06-22-2013, 09:32 PM
I've got the compact version of that pistol, it's my daily carry, if you end up wanting new sights I got a set of these:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/fusionfirearms/the-678/Sight-SET-%2C-White/Detail

Victor N TN
06-22-2013, 10:29 PM
My Match Colt Gold Cups that were accurized are the delight of my competitive pistol shooting. One feels like an extension of my arm.

Jeffrey
06-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Remember the (Colt) 1911 is "controlled round feed". Bottom line is this means that when the slide strips the round out of the magazine the extractor slides from above, in front of, the rim, and NOT around it. In other words, if you drop a round in the chamber, let the slide go forward, then load a full magazine, you WILL BEND YOUR EXTRACTOR. Emphasis is added because, while I love my 1911. I bought it from a guy that shot himself through the hand with the gun with a bent extractor. To test for a bent extractor, insert a loaded magazine, then rack the slide as if to load a round (in a safe direction, or with a dummy round). rack the slide again. The live round SHOULD EJECT. If it does not your extractor may be bent. A bent extractor may allow a 1911 to function fine during firing sequence, but if attempting to empty a chamber without firing the round, the live round will move to the side, not eject, then go right back into the chamber. Stay safe. J

Bored1
06-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Hope you enjoy your new 1911. Been looking at those for awhile, everyone seems to love the RIA 1911s. Gonna have to get one soon I think!

MtGun44
06-25-2013, 02:11 AM
ONLY controlled round feed with some mags. Many defeat this feature by holding the
round low with parallel rear feed lips. The hybrid and original long tapered (JOHN BROWNING
design!) lips make it a controlled round feed gun.

Bill

sparkz
06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Only Bad thing........... You will wish you got it long ago,
I love my 45,
Don't leave home with out it.. sorta like those old credit card adds

Now it just needs some shooting,, Better get-to-it,,

haha
patrick

358wcf
06-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Gents-
I've been a dedicated revolver man for over 45 years, almost all S&W target sighted models, from 22LR to 45AutoRim- I love each and every one of them, and will keep them all in the family for generations to come.
My youngest daughter introduced me to her fiance who is a shooter, who thinks his H&K 40 is hot stuff- He convinced me to try an auto, so I bought myself a Kimber stainless model with adjustable sights in 45acp, full size. Very accurate to say the least. Neat gun! Now, my oldest son-in-law moves to Texas to take a law enforcement job, and the city doesn't provide weapons, so as a birthday gift I give him the Kimber and wish him well- no one else on his force can outshoot him. Now, without a 1911, the prospective son-in-law takes me shopping for another new one, and points out what he considers the finest made 1911 out there (in his opinion), the Ed Brown Executive Target. I buy it. Wow- that's all I can say- this is a full-blown target pistol- makes me look very good- much better than I am- I like it, Andrew likes it, and shoots it a lot, wants one for himself, I can tell. Wedding day comes, and I give Andrew, (the new son-in-law) a box containing HIS OWN new Ed Brown Executive Target as a wedding gift- this young man is impressed, as this is a truly meaningful gift- Now, one year later, we've decided the Ed Brown's are a bit too nice to use as everyday range pistols, so I got him a Springfield Armory Loaded with target sights, and he bought me for my anniversary a Les Bauer Premier II. We both agree that this has to stop, as neither of us can continue to afford it, but our grandkids and their kids are going to be awful glad we did someday!
I don't even want to add up what we've spend on these toys lately, but it made sense at the time!!!!

358wcf

Love Life
06-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Wow 358WCF. That is a solid used car's worth of 1911's there!!

No ponies on them though... 8-)

hound_dogs_01
07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
RIA makes an awesome beginner 1911.

jrayborn
07-13-2013, 09:21 AM
358wcf, are you looking to adopt any other Son's? :)