PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that Chuck Yeager once hunted Antelope with a...............

WILCO
06-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Airacobra P-39!!! God knows what the PC crowd would do today over something like that!

uscra112
06-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Those were the days !

Wayne Smith
06-15-2013, 07:00 PM
And just what does a 30mm cannon do to an antelope??!

xs11jack
06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
You don't want to know!!!
Jack

Bzcraig
06-15-2013, 07:16 PM
And just what does a 30mm cannon do to an antelope??!

Why it.........kills, cleans and cuts into stew sized pieces!

Bad Water Bill
06-16-2013, 06:41 AM
My thoughts exactly.:bigsmyl2:

smokeywolf
06-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Could you still eat right up the wound channel? :lol:

smokywolf

DRNurse1
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Why it.........kills, cleans and cuts into stew sized pieces!

And the Willie-Pete cooks it! I wondered how he picked up his 'kills?'

Pb Burner
06-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Well...I've always been told to "use enough gun". 30mm...guess that'll work! Maybe they were big antelope....

Jeffrey
06-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I'd bet he was good in ground attacks. Kind of like using a big game rifle to shoot varmints hones skills for when big game season comes.

Echo
06-16-2013, 11:05 AM
He also used the P-39 to trim a friends tree - versatile airplane, that Aircobra!

And it was a 37mm cannon, not 30 - and later changed to 20mm for our use. The Rooshians liked it w/37mm, though.

WILCO
06-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Kind of like using a big game rifle to shoot varmints hones skills for when big game season comes.

Yep. He mentions using a springfield rifle to hunt rabbits with his closest buddy during six months of squadron training.

I'd bet he was good in ground attacks.

He says in his autobiography that combat is very different from fifty feet in the air. He didn't like strafing ground targets, but was surprised at how quick and easy it was to take out a whole battalion. He also mentioned how he came in straight and low on a german staff car, meeting eyes with the driver and giving a quick burst of 50 cal. machine gun. The car disintigrated and four bodies were blown out into the snow like rag dolls.

WILCO
06-16-2013, 11:36 AM
He also used the P-39 to trim a friends tree - versatile airplane, that Aircobra!

Yeah! That friend was a local rancher by the name of Joe Clifford of the Stone Cabin Ranch.
After Chuck topped that tree, there was hell to pay as the maintenance officer was quite upset about wood chunks being embedded in the smashed wingtip. He was grounded from flying P-39s for a week, but found a few BT-13s available and was able to fly those.

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
How can you not appreciate a guy who uses every opportunity to "Be All You Can Be." I know this is from an Army commercial of the recent past so no flaming please for the cross service reference.

Bad Water Bill
06-16-2013, 03:40 PM
How can you not appreciate a guy who uses every opportunity to "Be All You Can Be." I know this is from an Army commercial of the recent past so no flaming please for the cross service reference.

Only us vets have paid the price to tease each other. ALL others beware.

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Only us vets have paid the price to tease each other. ALL others beware.

First time a "Navy Guy" had my back.......cept for my Dad! :drinks:

Wayne Smith
06-16-2013, 06:56 PM
No cross service reference here, it was the Army Air Corps!

Bad Water Bill
06-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Just when was he HUNTING those speed goats?

The United States Air Force became a separate military service on September 18, 1947

Silly vilians will be eaten down to their dirty skivvies.:bigsmyl2:

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Good catch fellas.......

mroliver77
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Just when was he HUNTING those speed goats?

The United States Air Force became a separate military service on September 18, 1947

Silly vilians will be eaten down to their dirty skivvies.:bigsmyl2:

Off topic but can anybody tell me.
My Dad did WW@ in the Navy. He said shortly after Japan surrendered His ship LST returned home and mustered most of the crew out of service. Dad stayed on and went with ship to a bayou in LA (if I remember correctly) where the ship was stripped and mothballed.

Dad came home to no work to be had. He and his pal somehow got in the Army. After a while he was asked if he would like to transfer to the USAF and go to school as they needed people. He went to School for a couple years becoming a medic and part of the Air Sea Rescue working out of Japan and hopping over to Korea during that mess.

I never thought to ask him why they needed people. Were their not enough in the Army Air Corps for their needs? It seems there would have been service men galore to pick from.

Dad stayed in 11 years. They wanted him to learn Russian after Korea and head that direction. He got a job on the D,T,&I railroad instead.
J