PDA

View Full Version : Primers

BulletFactory
06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Im in Michigan, and I haven't seen primers in months. Are you guys out as well, or where are you getting them? I have my SHTF ammo that I won't shoot, but that's it, no more shooting for me :( Thats why I haven't been on here in a while.

Ben
06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
PM sent to you.

Bonz
06-15-2013, 10:35 AM
All primer sizes & types still available at http://www.natchezss.com

ku4hx
06-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Nope. I remember the first "shortage". Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.

John Boy
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Nope. I remember the first "shortage". Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. Yep! Buy often - buy early at reasonable prices ... BEFORE ELECTIONS. Works for me = about 20,000 primers in inventory:-D Same goes for 22LR's :grin:

bangerjim
06-15-2013, 11:59 AM
johnboy hit it on the head! This past 2 elections (jokes) triggered a panic. Many of us stocked up.

I still see primers & powder at local guns stores and normal prices.....limit 1# or 1K primers per day. So you just go back the next day. At that rate, they usually don't deplete the stock for at least 3 days. On-line stores have them as mentioned above, but you have to contend with that $30 fee the gubmint charges for "hazardous" stuff.

Good luck in your quest for stuff!

bangerjim

Jailer
06-15-2013, 12:25 PM
BulletFactory, when was the last time you made a trip to Jays? They've had primers when I've been in there. My buddy was there a couple weeks ago and they had plenty.

prs
06-15-2013, 12:29 PM
The manufacturers are to blame. They could meet the demand if they wanted to. They have learned greed from OPEC. Around here there are no local shops with primers. So how about manufacterers? Make and distribute a few hundred rail cars full of extra product, add new assembly lines, hire more workers. DELIVER!

prs

el34
06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
The manufacturers are to blame. They could meet the demand if they wanted to. They have learned greed from OPEC. prs

Interesting. Is there any info to show how they have curtailed production and how much more net profit they are earning by not producing? I've seen reports describing flat-out production, and a hesitancy to spend for more capacity to address what's envisioned as a short term shortage. Posters above as well as me have been scooping up supplies whenever available, perhaps millions of us, and that may be the main explanation for the shortage. Recently I bought 10k small pistol primers, normally it would be 1k-2k as I use them. In my example I depleted availability to the rest of the world 5 or 10 times more than normal.

btroj
06-15-2013, 01:09 PM
And those new assembly lines will be idle in a year or so. Those workers cost money to train. Those workers will also be unemployed in the near future after things settle down.

The manufacturers are making sound business decisions. They are, from all I have heard, producing all they can. They want to sell as much a s possible, don't you think they are maximizing production?

Changeling
06-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Im in Michigan, and I haven't seen primers in months. Are you guys out as well, or where are you getting them? I have my SHTF ammo that I won't shoot, but that's it, no more shooting for me :( Thats why I haven't been on here in a while.

I talked to some guys from Canada and they said they didn't have any shortage of primers/powder!
You could contact a business in Canada and get the real details and ifit's posible to bring them across the border.

Now this is just what I was told so don't shoot the messenger if it's not true. However a little searching on the Internet should let you know. You could even contact the police up there.

uscra112
06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
The manufacturers are to blame. They could meet the demand if they wanted to. They have learned greed from OPEC. Around here there are no local shops with primers. So how about manufacterers? Make and distribute a few hundred rail cars full of extra product, add new assembly lines, hire more workers. DELIVER!

Dahlink! Where did you get that stunning tinfoil hat ?

dverna
06-15-2013, 03:15 PM

prs

Obviously written by someone who has never run a business of any sort.

ANYONE who has been reloading for more than 5 years, who has no components, and is ********, deserves their fate. If you do not learn from history you are doomed to repeat it.

jonp
06-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Obviously written by someone who has never run a business of any sort.

ANYONE who has been reloading for more than 5 years, who has no components, and is ********, deserves their fate. If you do not learn from history you are doomed to repeat it.

Got that right.

el34
06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
I talked to some guys from Canada and they said they didn't have any shortage of primers/powder!

Canada- no Obama, no shortage.

mroliver77
06-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Shortage?

blikseme300
06-15-2013, 07:13 PM
My LGS has a full shelf of an assortment of powder and a healthy supply of primers of all types. Prices are slightly up but not at the gouging level of some others. My reloading safe is well stocked as well. What shortage?:drinks:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-15-2013, 07:14 PM
CCI/Speer in Lewiston, Idaho running 24/7, isn't that fast enough for some folk. As long as the public is buying in such a way that new supplies arriving at a store are gone in 24hours or less. There will be a supply problem.

Also those above that made the comments about good business practices and choices are right on.

This IS NOT a manufactures problem and as was said, they can't build lots of new manufacturing lines, hire and teach lots of people and then shut the lines down and fire all the new employees when the panic is over. That IS NOT good business!

However, the smart people learned their lesson during the Clinton ERRORand the first Obamanation and like food in the pantry, made sure they were well supplied.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Johnch
06-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Any where close to Toledo Ohio ?
A hole in the wall shop in Northwood Ohio has a fair amount of them

Now I just have to find another 8 lb jug of 4895

John

Shiloh
06-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Nope. I remember the first "shortage". Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.

:wink:

The great Klinton primer scare.

Shiloh

mroliver77
06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
:wink:

The great Klinton primer scare.

Shiloh

Man I got some good deals on primers for the next few years!
J

Huntducks
06-16-2013, 04:00 AM
You have a bunch of people who don't reload buying primers and powder to double and triple there money by selling on craigs list.

This has been said a hundred times before NEW MFG. AMMO GETS FIRST DIBS ON PRIMERS.