PDA

View Full Version : ammo score

NSP64
06-15-2013, 08:28 AM
I stop by the local Walmart on the way to the range this morning . I thought I would take the 22 rifle out for some exercise . I broke into my war reserve stash of long rifle ammunition . so I'm near the Walmart so I stop in to see if they might have some in stock . there's a guy waiting by the Sporting Goods counter says that they got some 22 in last night. so I picked up two 525 round boxes for $47.39.

Randy C
06-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Lucky man Im down to a 1/4 a box I bought a hundred shorts last time I seen some.

blademasterii
06-15-2013, 09:46 AM
I bought 50 .22 mag shells from walmart yesterday for.......7.50. They were aparently in the wrong place but didn't have a price for that brand anywhere else so she gave them to me for what was marked under them. :D Should have gotten two at that price. :D

WILCO
06-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Congrats on the score! Guy at my Walmart said he hasn't seen 22lr in a couple of months.

Wis. Tom
06-15-2013, 02:46 PM
I just walked into Farm and Fleet, and low and behold, a lone white box of 100 9mm. I haven't seen any for months. Call me a hoarder, but they are now mine.

Blacksmith
06-16-2013, 04:22 AM
I stopped by the LGS and while checking the shelves, fairly well stocked, I noticed a brick of CCI .22 LR Quiet. I have been wanting to try a box after reading about them on the internet, so I bought a BIG box. The brick was $36.95 + tax less 3% discount for cash.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Who would have ever thought American shooters would be bragging about scoring a miserable box or two of 22 LR? The stuff we used to shoot up in an hour or two !

BvT

starmac
06-16-2013, 05:05 AM
Who would have ever thought American shooters would be bragging about scoring a miserable box or two of 22 LR? The stuff we used to shoot up in an hour or two !

BvT
No doubt, it doesn't even sound real. lol

375supermag
06-16-2013, 08:53 AM
I stopped at one of the LGS yesterday to build my primer stash.
Got 1K CCI SP at $33.99/K.
While there, I noticed that they had .22LR (2 box limit) at $3.99 for 40 rounds.
When did they cut the round count to 40 per box???
I didn't buy any...I well stocked on .22LR and .22Magnum.
I did notice that shop was essentially out of handgun powders. Another shop up the road a mile or two was pretty much out of handgun powders also. They did have a good selection of primers...if I had waited, I could have gotten the same primers for $31.99/K at that shop.

I have a gun shop about 4 miles from the house that is open from 7-12 on Sunday. I am going to cruise down there in an hour or so and check out their supply situation.

375supermag
06-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Just got back from the LGS...

No large pistol primers at all...other primers in short supply, limit 1K per customer per day.

Picked up another 1K of Win SP primers for the stash...$31.99/K.

The handgun powder supply at the LGS is starting to dwindle again...did pick up another pound of Bullseye at $19.99/lb.

Hornady jacketed handgun bullets were kinda spotty...plenty of certain weights in some calibers. None of any weight in other calibers ,no .357 Hornady XTPs to be found anywhere lately.
I bought a box of 100ct .45 250gr XTPs ($25.99). They shoot extremely well in my Ruger SBH Hunter in .45Colt with healthy powder charges. I have a few hundred stashed away now, so I have enough to load up a couple hundred for practice and deer season this November. That will allow me another couple hundred to do some load development for my Ruger Blackhawk. If it shoots them well, I may try some in my S&W Model 25.

No .22LR to be found.
Some handgun ammunition(limits per day per customer)..."expensive". I very rarely buy handgun ammunition, other than a few boxes of promotional sale .38/357(bought mostly for the brass). I haven't bought commercially loaded handgun ammo in a couple of decades. I do occasionally buy 9mm for my son, but now that I have a die set that probably won't be happening anymore.

Reloading die selection is limited...the same 4 sets of RCBS .38/357 carbide have been there all spring. Very limited on rifle die sets, mostly larger calibers(things like .338 and such). All RCBS, no Hornady, Redding, Lee etc. I do need to pick up a few sets in things like .303 and 7x57 so I can load for my son.

Rifle ammunition was limited. No 7x57, 303 or .25/06...did see Federal .30/30 at $20.99/box.
I am not currently in need of any rifle ammunition.

NSP64
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Well I stopped at the range and shot some of my new ammo and some of my stash (old umc that was found in a barn not stored good). New was Rem golden bullets (hps), old was wax coated LRN.
I have a BSA fixed 4x w/ duplex reticle. Gun is zeroed @ 200 yrds. It is a Savage MK II w/ accutrigger and can hit a blue Budlight aluminum bottle at 200 yrds all day long.
The upper junction of thick/thin post is where the bullet hits @100 yrds.
I did notice the old ammo struck 3" higher than the new at 200 yrds. I figured it would hit lower, being it is heavier. Maybe the shape (RN vs HP) affects more than 4 gr difference.

I did notice the new ammo had more variation (sound wise) then the old.
Is there a website where you can put in lot numbers and get manufacture dates?
Just wondering if it is new manufacture or old stock?

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Well I stopped at the range and shot some of my new ammo and some of my stash (old umc that was found in a barn not stored good). New was Rem golden bullets (hps), old was wax coated LRN.
I have a BSA fixed 4x w/ duplex reticle. Gun is zeroed @ 200 yrds. It is a Savage MK II w/ accutrigger and can hit a blue Budlight aluminum bottle at 200 yrds all day long.
The upper junction of thick/thin post is where the bullet hits @100 yrds.
I did notice the old ammo struck 3" higher than the new at 200 yrds. I figured it would hit lower, being it is heavier. Maybe the shape (RN vs HP) affects more than 4 gr difference.

I did notice the new ammo had more variation (sound wise) then the old.
Is there a website where you can put in lot numbers and get manufacture dates?
Just wondering if it is new manufacture or old stock?

Just curious but why is your 22 zeroed at 200 yards?

NSP64
06-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Pics
200 yrd target shot from bench.
pic is view of rang 200 yrd center, 100 yrd left side.

NSP64
06-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Just curious but why is your 22 zeroed at 200 yards?

Why not?
In a scope with a duplex reticle, you have 3 different aiming points.
Actual cross hair 200 yrd zero.
Top junction of thick thin/lines 100 yrd impact point.
Bottom junction of thick/thin lines ???
I will have to find more room and shoot further for that last one.
This is with the ammo/gun I have. YRMV.

bobthenailer
06-16-2013, 11:24 AM
I go to my local wallmart at least once a week before 8:00 am and havent been able to buy 22 lr ammo since december 2012. they get it in but its allways gone buy the time i get there ! the person in sporting goods said its allmost allways complealty gone when they get there at 6:30 am.

Zymurgy50
06-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I was in a local Wally's world yesterday and saw 4 boxes of 38spl FMJ RN (50 rounds) and 3 boxes of 44mag 240 LSWC (20 rounds), didnt need either of these, so I passed on buying them

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Why not?
In a scope with a duplex reticle, you have 3 different aiming points.
Actual cross hair 200 yrd zero.
Top junction of thick thin/lines 100 yrd impact point.
Bottom junction of thick/thin lines ???
I will have to find more room and shoot further for that last one.
This is with the ammo/gun I have. YRMV.

"Why not" good answer......seriously! Cant tell you how many times someone has asked me a question and my response was "cause I can." I was wondering if maybe you were picking off squirrels at long range cause it was the first time I had heard of a .22 zeroed at that distance.

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2013, 12:48 PM
A 200 yd. zero is perfectly plausable. Back in my days of squirrel hunting on the farm I had a zero of 170 yds. for hunting the headlands of corn and grain fields for bushy-tails.Robert

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 01:31 PM
A 200 yd. zero is perfectly plausable. Back in my days of squirrel hunting on the farm I had a zero of 170 yds. for hunting the headlands of corn and grain fields for bushy-tails.Robert

I didn't mean to imply it was impossible, it is though, unusual. Thus the reason for my question. I am so often learning new things here I don't want to take for granted I understand 'why' some things are being done, when I can use it as a learning experience. What was in my head that I didn't put in the post were questions like: Is this just for fun? Is it practicing for a shooting discipline? Studying the maximum ballistic ability of the .22lr reliably? It really was a curiosity.

NSP64
06-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I had it zeroed @100 and used the bottom junction of thick/thin line to drop out to 200.
So, I started cranking the up turret until POI/POA was the same @ 200.
I am headed out now to see if I can figure where the low thick/thin hair print at.

Just for fun, I don't take the 22's out much due to ammo availability.

Ed Barrett
06-16-2013, 03:51 PM
A friend of mine works a Wal-mart She said the same 6 people show up every morning that they have ammo on the delivery truck. They aren't there on the days that no ammo comes in. She asked about that and she said there is an Ap for smart phones that will show when a shipment is coming into a Wal-mart store. Are any of you using this? I don't have a smart phone (in fact I think you could call it retarded) so I can't check on it.

NSP64
06-16-2013, 04:43 PM
I dont know, ed.
I just happened by and there was a navy officer(what he said) that is stationed at Scott AFB, there.
He said he knew the manager, the manager had called him friday night, and told him there was some ammo that just came in.

Ed Barrett
06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
I did a little Yahoo search and found this;

http://slickdeals.net/f/5940390-Using-Walmart-App-on-Phone-to-Find-AMMO

Maybe one of you guys with a smart phone can try it and let us know how it works.

Here is one for the computer;

http://www.ammoloco.com/

dakotashooter2
06-16-2013, 08:50 PM
While there, I noticed that they had .22LR (2 box limit) at $3.99 for 40 rounds.

American Eagle????????? they have been 40 cnt for years. I think it started out as a promotional pack to get the price point they wanted.

Combat Diver
06-16-2013, 09:15 PM
I also haven't seen any .22LR on shelves since Dec 12. Walked into a gun shop in Killeen TX and they had a two box limit. Two boxes of Winchester 37gr plated HP at $3.99 ea. They also had pistol primers that I really need but I can't fly on the plane with them :(

CD

NSP64
06-16-2013, 09:35 PM
I put my bi-pod on the MK II and lobbed this group @ 200 yards today after the rain moved out using the Remington golden bullets. (36 gr HP).
I brought some odd and end bullets that I had (Bought 50 rnd boxes to test for most accurate) and ran them across the chrony.
All were less then advertised velocity wise (go figure). I also had some rem golden bullets that were 40 gr RN.
The old UMC 40 gr rn bullets that dropped less than the new Rem golden@ 200 yards were actually faster!!!!U-1180fps, R-1170fps @ 3 ft from muzzle

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Here is one for the computer;

http://www.ammoloco.com/
That link is cool !

22lr in stock...
I was at Gander Mountain, Rogers MN today, looking at a S&W 657.
while waiting for an employee, I wonder over to the ammo shelves. the only 22LR they had in stock was Rem Eley Match for $16.59 a box of 50, they have 15 or so boxes (no I didn't buy any).
Jon

JIMinPHX
06-16-2013, 11:14 PM
I noticed that they had .22LR (2 box limit) at $3.99 for 40 rounds.

If those are American Eagle brand in the red box, I noticed them to be that way about 3 or 4 years ago.

375supermag
06-18-2013, 05:17 PM
American Eagle????????? they have been 40 cnt for years. I think it started out as a promotional pack to get the price point they wanted.

I think they were American Eagle.

I usually buy bulk packs or 50 or 100-rd packs from CCI and Remington...never bought American Eagle.

I did buy several different 50-rd boxes last year when I bought my son his Henry .22LR lever action. We chose what was most accurate and stocked up a few hundred rounds for squirrel hunting and a few bulk packs for informal plinking. He has them squirreled away(nice play on words there) for this fall's hunting season just in case the shortages continue.