PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's,Boise

onceabull
09-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Shameless tout... Just now home from first visit there,and recommend to all those passing within 50 miles.. not necessarily for buying !! ( We didn't ) but the Gun library adds a great new dimension to high end local shopping..Previously if you found 10 fiearms of similar quality in all the shops in the valley you would have doing well. Reminds one of the high end shops in So.Kal. years ago.....Best of all is the Elmer Keith Room, --there is a fine collection of those firearms we all read about,on loan from the family...trophy mounts and photo's galore..I can recall seeing the 10 Ga mag Ithaca double that Major.Chas Askins used first,a double Jeffrey450/400 that had belonged to Jim Corbett, a cased 10 G. Purdey double, TWO 476 Westley Richard's doubles (Best grade and standard,with cases and kit),the Bosworth 500 Nitro.double with case and kit,the 400 Whelen bolter, many of his personal pistols, and on and on...with prior arrangement you could have personal shopping assistant for the price of lunch/supper,with adult beverages.....[smilie=1: Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Reno is going to have a new Cabela's, too. Actually it's in Verdi, but the mendacious mayor and city council have annexed clear to the CA line. No construction yet, but they are hiring. Doubt if they could compare with an Elmer Keith gun display, though. Maybe they'll recycle the old Harold's Club collection, yawn.

MT Gianni
09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Sounds like the Keith museum would be worth seeing. I am ashamed to say that when i visited my BIL in Torrington WY and we drove to the Cabela's store in Sidney NE that I saw nothing that I couldn't buy cheaper at Sportsman Warehouse with out sales tax. I went home empty to the laughter of my wife and surprise of my nephews. That included their bargin basement. Gianni

RSOJim
09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
My wife and I will be flying to Boise next month. Cabela's is on my list of places to see, especially the Elmer Keith room. I will be taking my camra. I also will be renting a car and possibly driving to Salmon to visit Elmers grave site. thanks Jim

Mallard57
09-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Seeing Cabela's in Boise is the plan as well as some friends of ours. I hope they have some RCBS 38-55 Cowboy Dies.
I'll be really glad when they get the one in Post Falls done.
Jeff

onceabull
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
NvC,Mt.Gianni,RSOJim: Yes, I was surprised cabela's came here before Reno but their buildout plan seems to be outward from the home "hub". MT.Gianni's comments re :values, parallels what I observed, glad we already had the Sportsmen's Warehouse option,and now Joes(nee G.I.Joes) too...Barron's had a short piece back in August with positive bias on Cabela's as investment.That finally got me off my duff for a looksee, with the parlous state of consumer financing,I'm holding off ,even though lacking representive allocation in the" consumer discretionary"space..will be watching closely as I have to fight daily against the "Old ,or Bold ,but never both" syndrome.. Jim: If you do drive to Salmon,take an hour or so extra and go on to Gibbonsville(Elmer's place before moving to the city)--enjoy, Onceabull

onceabull
09-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Omitted earlier was the fact that right at the entrance to "The Elmer Keith Room' at Cabela's, Boise there's a plaque crediting Lynn H.(LAH on this forum, aka "Creeker" elsewhere)for his and Mrs. donation of a photograph for the display.. Good Show !!,Mr/Mrs LAH--------Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
09-30-2007, 01:31 AM
In a bulletin just handed me, Cabela's Reno IS being built and will open in November. (I dropped the local paper and only read the funnies on their web site with any great interest. I do skim the local news but missed Cabela's.)

RSOJim
10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
This is a question for anyone. Does anyone know where Elmer Keith is buried. I want to pay a visit and have a few words with Elmer and a toast and take some pictures of his grave site in about 2 weeks. Thanks Jim

9.3X62AL
10-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Reno--with Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, and a real gun show? Small wonder that emigrants from the People's Republic are arriving in droves. Bill, you may never be free of visiting Boat People at this rate.

I would greatly enjoy seeing that Elmer Keith Room at Cabela's. I have been trying earnestly to get up that way to see some friends since July, but SOMETHING keeps rearing its head every time I give it a try.

rvpilot76
10-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Cabela's is opening a new store in Post Falls, Idaho. Just after crossing the WA/ID line on I-90. I got to spend an hour or so in the Cabela's in Salt Lake City last summer. I was completely enthralled in the "Africa Room". Saw a 5 rifle M70 set that was $30,000. It was the African collection and included 300 (not sure if it was H&H or win), 338win, 375 H&H, 416 (not sure if it was Rigby or Rem), and 458win. Man, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I didn't know the Boise store had a Keith room. Looks like I need to make a trip to Southern Idaho!

Kevin

obssd1958
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Kevin - and other fine members of this board!,

If you do get to Boise and would like to fling some lead while you are here, get in touch with me through a PM. I'll give you my phone number and we can arrange some time at the shooting range. I am a member of the Nampa Rod and Gun Club and they have both an indoor and outdoor range. The indoor range allows only handguns and rimfires, but the outdoor range allows pretty much anything short of 50 BMG.
I have met onceabull and IdahoSharpshooter, they are both locals and very fine gentlemen. I looked forward to meeting other members and would be happy to do whatever I could to make their visit to Boise a pleasant one.

-and no, I'm not a salesman or politician - just believe that life is short and the Golden Rule is just that - The Rule!!

Take care!

Don

The Double D
10-08-2007, 02:05 PM
It's 250 miles and 5 or 6 hours drive from Boise to Salmon, one way. No freeway.

eric123
10-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I grew up in Salmon, but left in '93 and I only know of the one cemetery in town. It is on 93 South, @ the base of S-Hill. It should be pretty easy to find.

If the pass is open, I can drive to Salmon, through Stanley in 4:15 minutes, it is 225 miles to my dads house in salmon from the hwy 84/21 junction, if the pass is closed the other route is through Arco which may take as long as 6 hours to get there...

The Keith room at Cabela's is pretty neat...lots of nice guns...the guns were very, very dusty when i was there two weeks ago...

RSOJim
10-19-2007, 07:59 AM
My wife and I will be in Boise tonight. Looking forward to seeing the sights. Thanks everyone, Jim

RSOJim
10-20-2007, 11:06 AM
The wife and I flew in from Florida last night. What a weather change. My arms are sure sore this morning from all that flying. Jim