PDA

View Full Version : Great Experience to be spread far and wide.

W.R.Buchanan
06-14-2013, 06:10 PM
I had an uplifting experience this week with a gunshop that I have dealt with before.

This company is known as William's Gunshop Auburn and it is located in Auburn Michigan. Kevin Williams is the owners name.

I have bought several guns from them including my Ruger Scout, and several other Rugers as well, and I have paid well below retail or even street price for all of the guns I have bought from them.

Today I signed the CA paperwork for my new Bushmaster Carbon 15, an AR with the upper and lower made of Carbon fiber. It weighs 5.5 lbs! and that's why I bought it. :holysheep

I saw one last Wednesday at a gunshop in Oxnard CA and was impressed with it however they wouldn't budge off full pop. So I got in my truck and dialed 989-239-3030 and 5 minutes after talking to the owner made the deal. $735+35 shipping to my ffl here in CA! This was a savings of over $250!

However the best is yet to come. I sent them a MO last Thursday, and the gun showed up yesterday, This Thursday! I signed all the paper work today, Friday.

That's pretty incredible service!!!

I don't know of anyone who gives service like this, and I would highly recommend you give them a call on your next new gun purchase.

They deal with all of the big distrubutors, and can get pretty much whatever you want in short order and will ship to anywhere in the US including CA. Not only that but he is a great guy to deal with.

They currently have SS Ruger GSR's in stock! which is a pretty rare thing right now as they just started distributing them.

Try this guy out he won't disappoint.:mrgreen:

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Well today I took possession of my new gun.

After playing with it with dummy rounds I found it runs just like any other AR except for one big thing.

It only weighs 5 lbs!

Planning a few mods like Magpul Furniture, a paddle style bolt catch and a different charging handle.

Would post a pic but it looks just like any other black gun.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
06-28-2013, 10:56 PM
OK since nobody is paying attention here, I am re-naming this thread.

This gun weighs 5 lbs 1 oz with out the 12 oz optic which will be replaced by a 3.2 oz reddot.

Don't be too worried about the Carbon Fiber being up to the task. Bushmaster bought out the company that originated this product. They worked out all the bugs and now nearly three years later,,, here Ya go.

Randy

Jailer
06-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Williams is a great place to deal with. They are a little over an hour away from me but well worth the drive for the service. They also have a real good selection for a smaller shop.

W.R.Buchanan
06-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Jialer: This gun would have cost me over $1000 had I bought in Oxnard.

I had this one coming not 10 minutes after I looked at the one in the store here.

Kevin is a great guy to deal with, and has treated me right on about 4 guns so far. I haven't bought 4 guns from anyone in CA ever!

My FFL is cool however and he only charges $25 to recieve and do teh back ground check.

I will have right at $1000 in this gun when I get it outfitted the way I want with Magpul furniture, a Rainier Charging handle, different bolt release and sling.

Looking forward to a Front Sight Class with this one, that way I can be just like everyone else in class with an AR. [smilie=w:

Randy

jmort
06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
I didn't know we could still own anything fun like that here in California. I think the lightweight is a huge plus. I'm getting to the same point, order gun from best source and have good guy FFL do the paperwork here. LGS around here need a wake-up call.

W.R.Buchanan
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Jmortimer: Why yes you can. It must have a bullet button installed which requires a tool to push in so you can drop the mag. Just another hoop to jump thru.

They are trying everything they can to eliminate these guns but so far Brown hasn't signed any legislation that is any worse than what is already on the books. They are trying to make as many hoops for you to jump thru so that peopel will jsut say F it and give up.

The big problem they have is if the want to register all the Assault Weapons they will first have to find them. There currently is no record of who has what in this state beyond the paperwork that is retained by the individual FFL's.

In oder to view those documents the DOJ has to physically go to each FFL in the state and physically "write down" the name and address of anyone owning a illegal weapon. They can not take pics nor copy the docs. If they do do this then they can't use any of it in court since it is Illegally Obtained Evidence.

Needless to say this is a monumental undertaking,,, and it ain't gonna happen!

So for now all you have to have is a bullet button that requires some kind of tool to drop the mag.

I have several tools including a guitar finger pick with a stud on it that I can wear on my middle finger or thumb. A cartridge works as does any kind of probe around 1/8" in dia.

Bushmaster actually made a fixed mag AR, and I saw one the other day. There is a ring on the rear takedown pins so you can quickly pull it out. Then you open the gun put a stripper clip on the top of the mag, charge the mag, close the gun, and away you go. This takes about 15 seconds to do if you play with it and have your ammo set up right, so anyone who thinks this is going to stop anything is a fool.

However the vast majority of people in our legislature are in fact fools anyway.

I really take exception to people who know nothing about something, making laws about that something.

I really think we need a "Competancy in Legislation Initative" on the ballot in this state, that would eliminate idiots from authoring legislation about things they know nothing about.

Or is it just me?

Randy

historicfirearms
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Williams is one of the best gun shops in Michigan. I live a couple hours away, but stop every time I'm over that way. They are the last true gun smithing shop left in the state that I know of. If you need some oddball gun part, I bet they have it.

Suo Gan
07-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the information. The gun dealers here are so over priced, so ignorant about guns, and yet have an aire of cock sureness of their guns that would make royalty blush. I hate dealing with any of the store front shops in California. There are just a handful left anymore that know anything. The guy here in Los Banos at the Armory is a jerk, he charges almost a $100 to do a transfer, and he does not know his guns at all...but he has a computer and some company books...he can order it for you at a 300% markup, no problem. From what I hear he was the one who pitched a b to the chief of police and got all the home based FFL's to go out of business. I hope his business fails...thank God for the internet and folks like Williams.

Hope your gun shoots well.

W.R.Buchanan
07-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Well,,,, I have just about got it outfitted the way I want.

So far it's got a Magpul MOE Fore-end/Hand-guard, a MOE stock (the cheapest one) and the MOE Pistol Grip with interchangeable front and back straps. The grip also has a compartment that you can stash 3-4 extra rounds and a few other doodads in. Wanted OD Green Furniture but had to settle for Black since that was all that is available from my local sources. I can always paint it at a later date if I feel it is necessary. NOT!

I mounted my Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot on a small UTG Riser Block.

I also mounted a Sling, but I don't like the way it works so I'll be changing it around.

All that is left is the Ranier Charging Handle which will come in Monday, and a DPMS Paddle style bolt release or BAD lever from Magpul, and Back Up Iron Sights.

I have had a couple of problems with a couple of products. The first was a BCM charging handle I bought that was so poorly designed that it bit one of my fingers the second time I racked the bolt. It went back where it came from, as well as the "Mil Spec" MOE Stock that wouldn't fit my "commercial" sized Buffer tube. The replacement didn't fit very well either and I spent 1.5 hours "fitting it" to the tube. It would have been better if it would have just fit like it is supposed to but apparently Bushmaster uses a slightly different Buffer tube design for their guns than any one else.

This gun is coming together really well simply because there are more parts available for an AR than you can shake a stick at. But what is really cool is the weight. This gun right now weighs just 6 lbs- 4 oz. ! Installing the night lite and BUIS will bring it to 6 lbs-8 oz. !

This is something that us older guys could carry easily for long periods if necessary. Something to think about as you get older and don't have the Pep you had as a 20 year old. (Note: most Battle Rifles were designed to be carried by 20 year olds!)

Weight equals fatigue, and fatigue will get you killed,,, If you don't have a heart attack first!

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
A few more items have been added to the project.

A Rainier Charging handle which works equally well with either hand.

A Magpul BAD lever which allows you to operate the bolt catch with you trigger finger. works great with the Rainier Charging Handle and makes the gun pretty much Ambidextrous.

A Streamlight on the fore end for Night ops.

Two short 10 round Magpul P mags, and one 10/30 P mag. For CA BS!

Waiting for the Folding Front Sight to arrive and then a Magpul Folding rear sight. Back up sights are a must if you have a battery powered optic on the gun. If you leave it on you're toast. Meprolight has a tritium powered optic but it is $600.

Randy

yooper
07-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I think there are three "William's Gun Shops" getting confused in this thread. Dick Williams Gun Shop is south of Saginaw MI, has a GREAT supply of old parts and does gunsmithing. Kevin Williams shop is about 3-4 years old and is in Auburn MI. Kevin is, I believe, Dick Williams nephew. And neither of these should be confused with Williams Gunsight in Davison MI, about 50 miles south. THIS Williams shop is a manufacturer of sights and many other hunting/shooting items and does full-service smithing. They've been around a LOOOONG time. All three are within about 40-50 miles of each other and are all reputable dealers. I'm glad I'm close to all of them. :bigsmyl2:
yooper

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2013, 06:52 AM
my buddy has one and its his favorite ar. Real light and has been real reliable. Thanks for giving my home state some busniness.

W.R.Buchanan
07-21-2013, 02:27 PM
LLoyd: Technically it is my Home State as well. I was born in Detroit in 1949, and lived in Okemos.

Me and my Mom moved to CA in 1956 after they got divorced. I haven't been back since 1959.

Randy

grampa243
07-21-2013, 09:16 PM
nice.. i need to get some 10rd. pmags.

nanuk
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
... However the vast majority of people in our legislature are in fact fools anyway.

I really take exception to people who know nothing about something, making laws about that something.
Randy

Sounds like SOP for Gummint work! You get people promoted to positions where they know nothing of the work those who report to them, are doing.
Then, you get the Lawyers involved, who make the job unworkable, so as to remove liability, but in fact increases liability due to negligence.

only public corporations can work like that, as private would go belly up in short order.

and your comment about Lawmakers.... well, truer words have never been spoken.

if one would want to get RICH, become a physiotherapist dealing with damaged knees from all the KNEE JERK legislation that SPEWS forth from the Elected Officials.

historicfirearms
07-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Guess I didn't know about Kevin Williams shop. The one I have been in and liked is Dick Williams, south of Saginaw.

W.R.Buchanan
07-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Historic: Kevin Williams shop is in Auburn MI. North West of Saginaw.

His dad also has a gun shop but I think it is in Auburn also.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
07-23-2013, 12:01 AM
I got another piece in the mail today. It is a ARMS folding front sight. I have to mount it and make bushing cuz it is for a .750 bbl. and mine is .625. no biggie.

Then a Magpul folding rear sight and clean up the sling and it is a done project and ready to shoot the hell out of.

Randy